Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #60,046 of 64,190
Me think your post should be in TTPOD T1E thread ..inresponse to slowpickr post ..this is KZ thread ...you need some shut eye ...lol
LOL, Vince doing too many reviews and not enough sleep. They do tend to start running together sometimes :rolling_eyes: Going back through this thread KZ has been releasing models as fast as the designers come up with a new model (Always seemed like 3 per month in the beginning:wink: I thought for sure someone like Clear or Slater would want these ZN-1's!

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #60,047 of 64,190
Also the ports have a terrible design in the AS[F-X] and this one included! The AS12 port design is infinitely better for hygiene IMO. I guess most reviewers have IEMs on a shelf or in little compartments and not in their ears.

Yep, I was kind of expecting a metal nozzle and grille. You'll notice they didn't give a clear look at that on the product page. Cheapskates! :triportsad:

My problem with KZ nowadays is that they use these crappy filters and don't even sell or give replacement filters.

It is ridiculous, even cheap iems like the Chu have replacement filters for sale.

The current filter is so cheap feeling that i might prefer the jagged wiremesh that kz used to have.
I'm confused. What's wrong with the AS16 Pro filter? It's an extremely tight mesh, but I removed mine and it seemed to be metal.
Also what do you mean that you were 'expecting a metal nozzle and grille'? Aren't they both metal on the AS16 Pro. Mine are both metal.

Also what's wrong with the ports on the ASF & ASX? I'm looking at them, and they look completely normal and good quality.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #60,048 of 64,190
Hello fellow KZ fans, Pods starting to pare down on some things and I'm thinking some of the old school KZ diddler's might be interested in these babies right here as I'm sure it would be fun to play around with these. Maybe $6/$7 (unless I have to go Int'l) for shipping and they are yours just PM me :wink:

ElecTrik ZN-1.jpg
They are still functioning fine and I have stuck a fresh pair of foams on them however you'll need an old MICRO USB to charge the amp section but remember they do have an internal bypass and you can run them off external amp.

Well ain't that a blast from the past ....

kpop-girl.gif

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #60,049 of 64,190
I'm confused. What's wrong with the AS16 Pro filter? It's an extremely tight mesh, but I removed mine and it seemed to be metal.
Also what do you mean that you were 'expecting a metal nozzle and grille'? Aren't they both metal on the AS16 Pro. Mine are both metal.

Also what's wrong with the ports on the ASF & ASX? I'm looking at them, and they look completely normal and good quality.
Its the esx filter.
They switch from the old wire mesh to nylon that is more absorbent and stainable.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #60,050 of 64,190
Its the esx filter.
They switch from the old wire mesh to nylon that is more absorbent and stainable.
Yeah, I wouldn't like that. I don't like the extremely tight mesh on the AS16 Pro, but maybe it's fine.
It just seems like it would clog so easily with moisture or dust.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #60,051 of 64,190
This is what im trying to say before.
Planar bass behave like mix of dd and BA, with speed and control like BA, but have more organic timbre (not so dry as traditional BA) and moves the air like DD but the impact is like half of the DD produced.
Be noted, dampers that blocked the air also blocks the air impact, the problem with default Timeless as overdampened.
i wonder how will planar sound with just a thin porous mesh,

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #60,052 of 64,190
i wonder how will planar sound with just a thin porous mesh,

Still block the airflow if you meant by kind of nylon / paper dampers because the porosity still too tight.
This will made the bass section bloated.

The best i can think of is damper made of foam that shaped like tiny cylinder with little holes on center of it, imagine donut shaped medium density foam, but longer in length

2-4khz are tamed by blockage, means anything block the entire nozzle will tame this range, whatever the materials, thicker or tighter materials will tame more

While the material itself is affecting different kind of frequencies.
High density foam (sold as imported sony foam in ali, but the truth they are different from sony foam damper inside many sony IEMs which are not as high in density) tame more higher trebles, think of 8khz above with absorption of decay quite much. The decay is too soon to gone, kill the extension and sound unnatural to me.

The medium density of is the best from my experience as they absorb the decay or unwanted ringing or resonance by just nice to clear sibilance while keeping sound quite natural

Soft density foam acting as blockage only and just made little effect to absorb the unwanted resonance.

The nylon or paper damper more affecting high mids and presence region 2-5khz, while making only little different to upper treble part.

Best solution? Tune the IEM better, just give damper to absorb unwanted resonance with kind of my idea damper, that will let the airflow go through freely, hence we got clear, air feeling bass as opposed to bloated bass because of the blockage.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #60,053 of 64,190

I only just got my AS16pro I only had a quick look so if it's a plain drilled stainless face underneath that would be really good.

ASF and ASX have very thin mesh that as soon as you try and clean it it will come away I find mesh not to be a practical solution unless there is a reliable way to remove and soak and replace. The mesh on the ZS7 and others is a bit more robust than the ASF and X. If you cleaned it and put a dab of something sticky it will stay in the nozzle because of the face and the way it holds in there with the lip. I was always worried I will pull out a ZS7 and think, hello? where is the bit of mesh? Did my my dab of glue hold or is it making it's way into my brain :fearful:

AS12 has a really simple system (from memory it looked like a drilled stainless face) anyway, one that can be cleaned easily. The reality is if the nozzles aren't able to be reliably cleaned multiple times then they are manufactured as disposible items.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #60,055 of 64,190
Those metal mesh only function as dirt filter and won't change the sound. A damper like nylon or foam on the other hand are used to tune the treble.

Yes metal mesh only for protection from dust and earwax, they do change the sound but just little bit to the high mids area because of blockage percentage, but differences are subtle, some may dont even notice, if graphed, they just appear as similar line, maybe 1db maximum changes

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #60,056 of 64,190
Those metal mesh only function as dirt filter and won't change the sound. A damper like nylon or foam on the other hand are used to tune the treble.
yeah, i can see in my Aria. it have the tuning mesh deep inside the nozzle and metal grate on top of the nozzle.
one for tuning and the other one for dirt/protection

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #60,058 of 64,190
HBB have got ZS10Prox measured

1662627833580.png
I owned a ZS10 PRO for a couple of month and I liked it very much, but I was forced to return it because I had a driver flex that damaged a DD unit, causing a sensible flaw in bass response on one channel. I hope in a comprehensive PRO X review, because seems rather promising to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back