Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 5, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #60,020 of 64,395
First impressions, but a touch less. Coming from ASF and before that ASX. I found the ZS7 tonality perfect but love the detail in BA bass.

The KZ ESX is warmer with slightly rolled off treble. CCA CRA+ is also supposed to be more restrained on top than the original CRA, but I haven't heard it. :ksc75smile:

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #60,021 of 64,395
The KZ ESX is warmer with slightly rolled off treble. CCA CRA+ is also supposed to be more restrained on top than the original CRA, but I haven't heard it. :ksc75smile:
CRA+ is a bit of an Oddity, some people disappointed that its not CRA "successor" as the tuning fix went a bit far it become something fair bit different iem.
that being said, not few (who didn't expect it to be CRA successor) love CRA+ and considered it one of the budget series best. Some considering better than Mid-fi Companies budget offerings

The price for CRA+ went down a bit in my country, i'm still wondering whether i should take, Salnotes Zero, CCA Lyra, or CCA CRA+ for my next iem.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #60,023 of 64,395
I would add to this list also the KZ EDA balanced
Already have Eda Balanced and ESX.
I gave out the bass and high-res to coworker.

Eda balance is a wonder for the price and i heard Lyra is updated Eda Balanced so thats why i aim for it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #60,024 of 64,395
From what I can tell the as16pro is quite amazing. my sample has sparkly highs and restrained but deep bass (coming from a bass music lover). Honestly I can't fault it (first impressions notwithstanding). My sample seeming opposite to my ASF on my 100ohm ESS based DAC (D10). It's bass is more subdued and the highs are more subdued.

I do however like the openness of the AS16pro and love the detail throughout the range. Personally, the fit is excellent.

It took me quite a bit to buy this. It was more than I was willing to spend on an IEM from KZ. I spent a lot of money on the ASX and had QC problems with the connector from when I bought it. I got no money back from Aliexpress even when I provided a video. Also the ports have a terrible design in the AS[F-X] and this one included! The AS12 port design is infinitely better for hygiene IMO. I guess most reviewers have IEMs on a shelf or in little compartments and not in their ears.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #60,025 of 64,395
Yesterday (after a short 10 days since ordering) the CCA PLA13 arrived. My first impressions are quite mixed. The cause is the bass. These are not simple bass headphones, these are bass monsters with absolute bass dominance deep into the sub-bass level. The bass is pronouncedly STRONG physically present, which in the case of planars of not very large size will certainly catch many by surprise. I don't consider the mids to be heavily bloodied by bass, they are relatively clean, but they are obviously in the background, as is usually the case with V tuning (L tuning is relatively easy to achieve with appropriately chosen tips). The midrange suppression stands out in direct comparison with the vocal-tuned KZ AS16 PROs.

Beware, PLA13 are quite demanding on the power of the amp, better forget about using it with a mobile or a weaker dongle right away (balanced output + high gain are welcome).

If for some reason you cling to KZ/CCA, I consider the AS16 PRO in the same price range a clearly better and more versatile choice.

IMG_20220906_102611.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #60,026 of 64,395
Yesterday (after a short 10 days since ordering) the CCA PLA13 arrived. My first impressions are quite mixed. The cause is the bass. These are not simple bass headphones, these are bass monsters with absolute bass dominance deep into the sub-bass level. The bass is pronouncedly STRONG physically present, which in the case of planars of not very large size will certainly catch many by surprise. I don't consider the mids to be heavily bloodied by bass, they are relatively clean, but they are obviously in the background, as is usually the case with V tuning (L tuning is relatively easy to achieve with appropriately chosen tips). The midrange suppression stands out in direct comparison with the vocal-tuned KZ AS16 PROs.

Beware, PLA13 are quite demanding on the power of the amp, better forget about using it with a mobile or a weaker dongle right away (balanced output + high gain are welcome).

If for some reason you cling to KZ/CCA, I consider the AS16 PRO in the same price range a clearly better and more versatile choice.

If you have tried any of the other planars such as p1max, s12, timeless, dioko....how does the CCA compare aside from the more boosted bass? Does it keep up detail wise with any (I understand with elevated bass that can negatively effect imaging and details however). Curious if this competes with the big boys.

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #60,027 of 64,395
If you have tried any of the other planars such as p1max, s12, timeless, dioko....how does the CCA compare aside from the more boosted bass? Does it keep up detail wise with any (I understand with elevated bass that can negatively effect imaging and details however). Curious if this competes with the big boys.
I'm sorry, but I don't serve in this. I don't own any other planar IEMs yet.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #60,028 of 64,395
I have the TinHifi P1Max and the TRI I3Pro (which is a planar tribrid)

In the CCA PLA13 the bass is prominent, it does have a sub-bass focus so does not overpower music with little sub-bass presence. The mid bass is more moderately lifted and gives a warm tone, not enough to muddy the mids. The mids are recessed, this is a V shaped tuning. The treble is well extended, but not peaky and certainly less elevated than the bass. Brighter, colder or more treble based tunings will usually offer better details, stage and imaging. That often comes at the cost of sounding thin. The technical details here are not as good as other planars, but that is a very high bar. They are still good compared to most dynamics and don't falloff with complex music. I don't like the plastic nozzle and what appears to be paper filter.

All in all these are not an ideal set if you want neutral, bright or something analytical. Great for classic rock and probably the only planar for bass-heads. They are also only $65, but the included cable and tips need replacing. The closest competitors to these are Salnotes 7HJz Dioko and Kinera Celeste. Dioko is wildy different tuning and Celeste we have only seen one review of a prototype.

In Comparison.

TRI I3Pro is more mid-bass focused. Warmer, with slower less defined bass. Mids are less recessed and much nicer than PLA13. Treble is either delicate and well presented or too safe (depending on your preferences).

TinHifi P1Max is a slightly warm, neutrally Tuned IEM without aggressive treble. Technically it out performs both of the others. It is slightly less musical than the I3 Pro and less impactful than the PLA13. More balanced and certainly the pick of the three for vocals, classical, jazz and acoustic instruments.

As always YMMV :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back