Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #60,031 of 64,394
Yesterday (after a short 10 days since ordering) the CCA PLA13 arrived. My first impressions are quite mixed. The cause is the bass. These are not simple bass headphones, these are bass monsters with absolute bass dominance deep into the sub-bass level. The bass is pronouncedly STRONG physically present, which in the case of planars of not very large size will certainly catch many by surprise. I don't consider the mids to be heavily bloodied by bass, they are relatively clean, but they are obviously in the background, as is usually the case with V tuning (L tuning is relatively easy to achieve with appropriately chosen tips). The midrange suppression stands out in direct comparison with the vocal-tuned KZ AS16 PROs.

Beware, PLA13 are quite demanding on the power of the amp, better forget about using it with a mobile or a weaker dongle right away (balanced output + high gain are welcome).

If for some reason you cling to KZ/CCA, I consider the AS16 PRO in the same price range a clearly better and more versatile choice.

IMG_20220906_102611.jpg
People say that if you EQ PLA13 to Timeless bass, the thing can compete with dioko.

KZ screwed up this tuning, clearly

Attachments

• 1662511009292.png
    1662511009292.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #60,032 of 64,394
Yep, I was kind of expecting a metal nozzle and grille. You'll notice they didn't give a clear look at that on the product page. Cheapskates! :triportsad:
My problem with KZ nowadays is that they use these crappy filters and don't even sell or give replacement filters.

It is ridiculous, even cheap iems like the Chu have replacement filters for sale.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #60,033 of 64,394
My problem with KZ nowadays is that they use these crappy filters and don't even sell or give replacement filters.

It is ridiculous, even cheap iems like the Chu have replacement filters for sale.
The current filter is so cheap feeling that i might prefer the jagged wiremesh that kz used to have.

the thin filter got dirty after few month of daily use and i have no idea how to clean it without damaging it.
i try to scrub it carefully with qtip didn't work, it seems the filter already absorb it.

People say that if you EQ PLA13 to Timeless bass, the thing can compete with dioko.

KZ screwed up this tuning, clearly
KZ love that V target and seems to try to have that target with whatever driver they currently selling.
From that All BA AST with elevated Bass to Pla13 that they want that bass and thicker notes at cost of... killing what planar driver excels at resolution, transients.

It seems Dioko is on the other way around, it try to shows off what Planar could be by killing what it lacks (bass)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #60,034 of 64,394
I have the TinHifi P1Max and the TRI I3Pro (which is a planar tribrid)

In the CCA PLA13 the bass is prominent, it does have a sub-bass focus so does not overpower music with little sub-bass presence. The mid bass is more moderately lifted and gives a warm tone, not enough to muddy the mids. The mids are recessed, this is a V shaped tuning. The treble is well extended, but not peaky and certainly less elevated than the bass. Brighter, colder or more treble based tunings will usually offer better details, stage and imaging. That often comes at the cost of sounding thin. The technical details here are not as good as other planars, but that is a very high bar. They are still good compared to most dynamics and don't falloff with complex music. I don't like the plastic nozzle and what appears to be paper filter.

All in all these are not an ideal set if you want neutral, bright or something analytical. Great for classic rock and probably the only planar for bass-heads. They are also only $65, but the included cable and tips need replacing. The closest competitors to these are Salnotes 7HJz Dioko and Kinera Celeste. Dioko is wildy different tuning and Celeste we have only seen one review of a prototype.

In Comparison.

TRI I3Pro is more mid-bass focused. Warmer, with slower less defined bass. Mids are less recessed and much nicer than PLA13. Treble is either delicate and well presented or too safe (depending on your preferences).

TinHifi P1Max is a slightly warm, neutrally Tuned IEM without aggressive treble. Technically it out performs both of the others. It is slightly less musical than the I3 Pro and less impactful than the PLA13. More balanced and certainly the pick of the three for vocals, classical, jazz and acoustic instruments.

As always YMMV :L3000:
how does the sub bass compare to a beryllium based dynamic for example?

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #60,035 of 64,394
The current filter is so cheap feeling that i might prefer the jagged wiremesh that kz used to have.

the thin filter got dirty after few month of daily use and i have no idea how to clean it without damaging it.
i try to scrub it carefully with qtip didn't work, it seems the filter already absorb it.

KZ love that V target and seems to try to have that target with whatever driver they currently selling.
From that All BA AST with elevated Bass to Pla13 that they want that bass and thicker notes at cost of... killing what planar driver excels at resolution, transients.

It seems Dioko is on the other way around, it try to shows off what Planar could be by killing what it lacks (bass)
how about a qtip with diluted isopropyl alcohol to wet it and then followed by a dry qtip to absorb it, all the while the iem facing nozzle down to prevent the liquid from going in.

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #60,036 of 64,394
how about a qtip with diluted isopropyl alcohol to wet it and then followed by a dry qtip to absorb it, all the while the iem facing nozzle down to prevent the liquid from going in.
Ooh, let me try that.
the it was the esx thin looking apparently nylon nozzle filter.
the old one have metal grate, so i could go to town cleaning it.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #60,037 of 64,394
Ooh, let me try that.
the it was the esx thin looking apparently nylon nozzle filter.
the old one have metal grate, so i could go to town cleaning it.
some are metal mesh with a nylon or paper filter inside. the metal grille is very fine that it repels liquid and dirt while not affecting sound. you can also put a very thin layer of cotton wool on it and fixing the eartip on it to prevent further dirt from going into the original mesh but it will change sound signature, slower bass if not mistaken.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #60,039 of 64,394

most premium iems use this type mesh. i think the structure keeps dirt out well
If i remember it right, one point kz use these but now use that nylon only.

My aria have metal grill outside and the fabric mesh inside.
I remove the metal grill for more air movement but after awhile the fabric still didn't get stained like kz.

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #60,040 of 64,394
how does the sub bass compare to a beryllium based dynamic for example?
PLA13 has a LOT of sub-bass but it doesn't sound as elevated as the graphs seem to show. So more precise, and it doesn't sound as impactful (less thump). Kind of like BA bass. Beryllium plated dynamic (or any type for that matter), isn't as fast and seems to decay slower. I wonder if that is due to the whole of the membrane in the planar moving at the same time, rather than propagating out from the center. The difference between watching waves rippling out from an impact, versus raising and lowering the entire pond surface simultaneously. Physics isn't my strong suite.

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #60,042 of 64,394
PLA13 has a LOT of sub-bass but it doesn't sound as elevated as the graphs seem to show. So more precise, and it doesn't sound as impactful (less thump). Kind of like BA bass. Beryllium plated dynamic (or any type for that matter), isn't as fast and seems to decay slower. I wonder if that is due to the whole of the membrane in the planar moving at the same time, rather than propagating out from the center. The difference between watching waves rippling out from an impact, versus raising and lowering the entire pond surface simultaneously. Physics isn't my strong suite.
i think because DD moves faster near the center of the coil and slower near the edges hence the slow bass while planar moves at equal speeds for the entire surface.

Sep 7, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #60,043 of 64,394
In my opinion, the bass punch in the case of the PLA13 is somewhere between DD and BA in intensity, and the bass velocity closer to BA.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #60,044 of 64,394
In my opinion, the bass punch in the case of the PLA13 is somewhere between DD and BA in intensity, and the bass velocity closer to BA.

This is what im trying to say before.
Planar bass behave like mix of dd and BA, with speed and control like BA, but have more organic timbre (not so dry as traditional BA) and moves the air like DD but the impact is like half of the DD produced.
Be noted, dampers that blocked the air also blocks the air impact, the problem with default Timeless as overdampened.

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #60,045 of 64,394
Hello fellow KZ fans, Pods starting to pare down on some things and I'm thinking some of the old school KZ diddler's might be interested in these babies right here as I'm sure it would be fun to play around with these. Maybe $6/$7 (unless I have to go Int'l) for shipping and they are yours just PM me :wink:

ElecTrik ZN-1.jpg

They are still functioning fine and I have stuck a fresh pair of foams on them however you'll need an old MICRO USB to charge the amp section but remember they do have an internal bypass and you can run them off external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back