Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #54,977 of 63,906
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #54,979 of 63,906
For my music library (which is quite diverse and all over the map), the DQ6 is incredibly good. Thank you so much for recommending this set and sending me a set as part of our recent trade. Imho, the SQ is well worth the hype.
Yes, a big THANK YOU to @IEMusic for the recommendation! You have a good nose ears! 🦻🦻

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #54,980 of 63,906
It's funny you mention the KS1...I received that set last week but haven't listened to it yet because I'm still waiting for the 2.5mm TFZ connector XINHS balanced cable to arrive that I bought for it. Once I get it and everything is connected and I've had some time with them, I'll post more impressions. Maybe a shootout comparison between ZS10 PRO, ZAX, DQ6, KS1 and Blon BL03.
I personally don't have any problems with the fit of the DQ6 and listened to them last night for almost 5 hours. They are definitely thicker than ZAX or ZS10 PRO, but I think they are actually more comfortable than the aforementioned 2. Still, everyone's ears are different. It's weird because I always thought that my ears were small, but when I got into iems I discovered I can actually get stuff that I previously thought would be too big, easily into my ears. Still, the DQ6 might be a bit large for some.
As far as the King King tunes; yes, sir! Discovered this artist on the "What are you listening to right now" thread here on headfi. Can't stop listening!
Thanks for your info and I will wait patiently for your comparison of ZS10 PRO, ZAX, DQ6, KS1 and Blon BL03.
Nice to know that the TFZ cables will fit KS1

I have no trouble with the fit hardly ever in my left ear the right ear never fits as good.

I have 6 King King albums and all are very good, I love Alan Nimmo's playing and singing...the live album is probably my favorite.
My favorite guitar player that wears a kilt :laughing:

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #54,981 of 63,906
Is there a cable suitable for the DQ6 that has mic and volume buttons? I'm about to recieve mine, but understand the mic cable I ordered it with only has one button.

Edit: went with the MIC cable because it made the set more flexible. But wonder if it makes any difference quality wise. I believe the mic is a seperate cable and ring on the 3.5mm plug, so it shouldn't hurt the sound bit. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #54,982 of 63,906
I was reading some Japanese comments on Twitter yesterday (using google translate), and saw a couple mentions that the KZ ASX may have been revised from the first batch that went out, and the sound signature may be improved. Is there any truth to that?
I'd like to buy another pair because they are just about the perfect fit & sound for my ears.
I have no idea what batch I have or if that even matters....may just be a rumor.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #54,983 of 63,906
I was reading some Japanese comments on Twitter yesterday (using google translate), and saw a couple mentions that the KZ ASX may have been revised from the first batch that went out, and the sound signature may be improved. Is there any truth to that?
I'd like to buy another pair because they are just about the perfect fit & sound for my ears.
I have no idea what batch I have or if that even matters....may just be a rumor.
I got two pairs of ASX, both sound similar to me; for both I replaced their narrow nozzle with a wider one from ZSN and likes.
The modified ASX is my ultimate IEM: it does everything for me - almost bass-head BA bass for me, noticeably present mids (while perhaps a bit U or V) and very resolving but quite gentle treble.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #54,984 of 63,906
....comparison of ZS10 PRO, ZAX, DQ6, KS1 and Blon BL03.
This just makes me realize how spoiled we are right now with amazingly good budget options.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #54,985 of 63,906
This just makes me realize how spoiled we are right now with amazingly good budget options.
Agreed. 15 years ago, it was more of UE($3-400), Shure($2-600), Westone($2-600), Etymotic($300), Sony($100-1000), JVC($300), AudioTechnica($50-400), AKG($200), choice, then Sennheiser jumped in with another $5,600 expensive toys. I had to sell my kidney and eye, cut food expenditures to stay with the hobby(lol) HifiMan was still called Head-Direct(more of a retailer like today's Linsoul), making some goodie but cheap looking earbuds.

And all those are now sounding subpar or par with sub$50 segments.

Great Chi-fi enlightenment. I thought those old players would compete but they all retreated except for Sony, and partly JVC.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #54,986 of 63,906
Is there a cable suitable for the DQ6 that has mic and volume buttons? I'm about to recieve mine, but understand the mic cable I ordered it with only has one button.

Edit: went with the MIC cable because it made the set more flexible. But wonder if it makes any difference quality wise. I believe the mic is a seperate cable and ring on the 3.5mm plug, so it shouldn't hurt the sound bit. Correct me if i'm wrong.
I always order without a Mic because the FiiO BTR5 has a Mic built in. Also, I don't need a Mic for desktop use, plugged in to my Topping A90 / Xduoo TA-20.

Logically adding wires and a switch complicates the build whether it sounds worse or not why take the chance? If you think you need a Mic order a Mic, otherwise it usually adds a $1/$2 to the cost (more?).

Even though I usually only use the stock wire initially, and then I decide whether to use OCC Copper, Silver plate, or pure silver cable - depending on what I have extra at that time - how the new IEM sounds on each cable, and usually it is KBEAR as it is solid built and not too expensive:
https://hifigo.com/collections/head...pin-mmcx-qdc-connector?variant=31122971131953
https://hifigo.com/collections/head...with-2pin-mmcx-qdc-tfz?variant=32250238435377
https://hifigo.com/collections/head...th-metal-2pin-mmcx-qdc?variant=31605483634737
https://hifigo.com/products/kbear-4...-with-2pin-qdc-mmc-tfz?variant=32250235355185
https://hifigo.com/products/kbear-w...er-plated-silver-cable?variant=39411934462126

Hifigo doesn't have these new sku's yet, but if you ask nicely support@hifigo.com they can list new items for you and I find ordering from Hifigo gets things here (SFO) quicker than AliExpress - especially using AliExpress shipping options, yipe! And, the AliExpress DHL / Fedex is often far too expensive as compared to Express options Hifigo:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001972905496.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.11.13e95de6XnUpdJ
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001722934298.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.7.11a35de61XVX3L
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002304138824.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.23.11a35de6wJXVuV
https://kbear.aliexpress.com/store/...11a35de6PDTwnr&origin=n&SortType=new_desc&g=y

So, in short, I would find an option that doesn't include using your cable or IEM's for phone calls. I much prefer the BTR5 or some of my Tranya IEM's, like the T10's - still waiting for my T10b's to show up... darned pandemic! (Shakes fist at nothing in particular), I've been waiting since March 9th!! Sigh...

You could ask to see if you can order your favorite IEM with both the Mic/no Mic, or order another with whichever cable option you don''t have - I usually order a backup or two of the IEM's/TWS's I really like. :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #54,987 of 63,906

Very possible, I wouldn't be surprised about a stealth retune TBH. KZ has history doing that in the past - eg KZ ZS6 was retuned without them telling the consumers.
Other CHIFI secretly change drivers inside eg Urbanfun or change the shell (eg Tingo TC200), all of which can affect the sound signature.

Another possibility is unit variation, CHIFI isn't the most robust when it comes to QC so perhaps someone measuring 2 sets may find a difference on graphs due to unit variation.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #54,988 of 63,906
I just received Cayin C9 a few days ago, and have been testing it with my other high end headphones. Out of curiosity I plugged KZ Zax to it and I am surprised how good it sounds. I did not realize Zax has sub-bass, deep, deep sub-bass, like those in the live concert or floor standing speaker kind of bass. It "vibrates" in your brain. The mid and treble becomes so realistic, clean, crisp. C9 totally transforms Zax to a mid/high end IEM. It is so unbelievable!

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #54,989 of 63,906
I just received Cayin C9 a few days ago, and have been testing it with my other high end headphones. Out of curiosity I plugged KZ Zax to it and I am surprised how good it sounds. I did not realize Zax has sub-bass, deep, deep sub-bass, like those in the live concert or floor standing speaker kind of bass. It "vibrates" in your brain. The mid and treble becomes so realistic, clean, crisp. C9 totally transforms Zax to a mid/high end IEM. It is so unbelievable!
At that price, it better be good☺️

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #54,990 of 63,906
Agreed. 15 years ago, it was more of UE($3-400), Shure($2-600), Westone($2-600), Etymotic($300), Sony($100-1000), JVC($300), AudioTechnica($50-400), AKG($200), choice, then Sennheiser jumped in with another $5,600 expensive toys. I had to sell my kidney and eye, cut food expenditures to stay with the hobby(!?)

And all those are now sounding subpar or par with sub$50 segments.

Great Chi-fi enlightenment. I thought those old players would compete but they all retreated except for Sony, and partly JVC.
Agreed. I wouldn't have been able to continue with the hifi hobby, if not for Chi-fi. In fact, I lost interest and stayed away for over 10 years, because of the high prices that western companies were charging. I'm so happy that I can again afford to buy great sounding stuff. Honestly, it was Chi-fi that brought me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back