Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #54,961 of 63,932
The more I listen to them, the more I love them.

It is weird, I feel like these DQ6 (30$) sounds better than my 1MORE triple driver (80$). Am I crazy?
You are not, at all crazy and if you are, so am I. They are highly competent IEMs.

I have had mine for less than a week and I think I like them.....very much!

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #54,962 of 63,932
You are not, at all crazy and if you are, so am I. They are highly competent IEMs.

I have had mine for less than a week and I think I like them.....very much!
Someone explain to me how DQ6 has any right to sound as good as it does for $20. Kinda feel like an idiot tbh for having spent so much on other IEMs...

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #54,963 of 63,932
Glad to see all the DQ6 excitement and “hype” has been justified. Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to have had the raw, unbridled, unrealistic hype that some IEMs have received, yet even though not all people really like it, it seems everyone respects it on some level.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #54,964 of 63,932
Someone explain to me how DQ6 has any right to sound as good as it does for $20. Kinda feel like an idiot tbh for having spent so much on other IEMs...
So what’s your take on DQ6 vs 3DT?

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #54,965 of 63,932
So what’s your take on DQ6 vs 3DT?
Too early with the DQ6 to tell, especially since I’m still spending a lot of time with the 3DT. But initial impressions are that it does share a certain intangible similarity, and gets a whole lot closer to the 3DT than the price differential gives any reason to expect. The main weaknesses seem to be on technicalities, especially imaging and details, but the overall sound signature is quite similarly mature. I’m looking forward to listening to them more this week!

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #54,966 of 63,932
Glad to see all the DQ6 excitement and “hype” has been justified. Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to have had the raw, unbridled, unrealistic hype that some IEMs have received, yet even though not all people really like it, it seems everyone respects it on some level.
Its because of the price. The higher the price, the stricter people will judge. Thankfully, the DQ6 is not only cheap but sounds really good. Having a triple DD setup is also pretty good selling point when compared to CSN for having normal hybrid setup.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #54,967 of 63,932
I will invert your question in my attempt to answer it. Should the question be: how do we have the right (or rather opportunity) to buy the DQ6 at $20?

In my view it is pure fluke, quite apart from others' point of view that KZ has the principle that, "if you throw enough mud at the wall some of it will stick", or similar analogy, which others have used. The question here is who are their products aimed at? I firmly believe their products are primarily aimed at the Chinese Market. In the commercial sense we (outside China) probably represent a small percentage of the business KZ does. When you have a potential audience of 1.4 Billion in your local market, you do not need to aim elsewhere first, in my view, we are firmly secondary.

I believe, the multiple KZ and CCA BA sets were aimed at the Chinese market and in many instances the tuning reflects that, but also the prices reflect the target market.

Moving on to the materials, I believe that the least costly materials for earphones are the BA and Dynamic Drivers. Having used multiple BAs, there is no harm in using multiple Dynamic drivers as the unit cost can be maintained.

Which brings us to the KZ DQ6 specifically, I believe the mid-bass would have been harder hitting if the primary aim was to market the DQ6 to those of us outside China, do not get me wrong, I like the bass balance in favour of sub-bass, that is my preference. In my view, the tuning was not aimed at those of us outside China, but more importantly, the prices were not either.

I do not believe that had KZ envisaged the DQ6 would be anywhere as close to the 3DT in sound quality, we would be paying the prices we are paying for the DQ6. Yes, the principle of, "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" would still apply, but at $35 to $50 not $20.

That, in my view, is why we have the opportunity to buy the DQ6 at $20....pure fluke that we like the tuning, which was not originally intended for those of us who are not KZ's main target audience.

These being my first KZ earphones, please do not misunderstand me, I am sure KZ has produced some good and even exceptional offerings, all I am saying is that KZ is a commercial entity, it would have asked for more money, if they thought, at the outset, that they could get a higher price for the sound quality of their product, the DQ6.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #54,968 of 63,932
Too early with the DQ6 to tell, especially since I’m still spending a lot of time with the 3DT. But initial impressions are that it does share a certain intangible similarity, and gets a whole lot closer to the 3DT than the price differential gives any reason to expect. The main weaknesses seem to be on technicalities, especially imaging and details, but the overall sound signature is quite similarly mature. I’m looking forward to listening to them more this week!
After having both for a while now, those are pretty much my impressions on the 2 IEMs. The 3DT is technically quite a bit better and more refined, but it also has more prominent upper mids and lower treble in stock form. The DQ6 has more bass, with more of a V-shaped tuning, but a mature V-shape, w/o significantly recessed mids. The more intangible similar characteristics are why I often recommend that people try the DQ6 before buying the 3DT if possible.

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #54,969 of 63,932
Thanks for your impressions...I may have to try the DQ6 instead of the KBEAR KS1...I really like the ZAX.

Where does the DQ6 fall as far as size , fit and comfy level to the ZS10 Pro and ZAX ?

Oh, and that is a killer album you are listening to!
It's funny you mention the KS1...I received that set last week but haven't listened to it yet because I'm still waiting for the 2.5mm TFZ connector XINHS balanced cable to arrive that I bought for it. Once I get it and everything is connected and I've had some time with them, I'll post more impressions. Maybe a shootout comparison between ZS10 PRO, ZAX, DQ6, KS1 and Blon BL03.
I personally don't have any problems with the fit of the DQ6 and listened to them last night for almost 5 hours. They are definitely thicker than ZAX or ZS10 PRO, but I think they are actually more comfortable than the aforementioned 2. Still, everyone's ears are different. It's weird because I always thought that my ears were small, but when I got into iems I discovered I can actually get stuff that I previously thought would be too big, easily into my ears. Still, the DQ6 might be a bit large for some.
As far as the King King tunes; yes, sir! Discovered this artist on the "What are you listening to right now" thread here on headfi. Can't stop listening!

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #54,970 of 63,932
For my music library (which is quite diverse and all over the map), the DQ6 is incredibly good. Thank you so much for recommending this set and sending me a set as part of our recent trade. Imho, the SQ is well worth the hype.

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #54,971 of 63,932
For my music library (which is quite diverse and all over the map), the DQ6 is incredibly good. Thank you so much for recommending this set and sending me a set as part of our recent trade. Imho, the SQ is well worth the hype.
@IEMusic has steered me and I’m sure a lot of other people right on a pretty regular basis... DQ6 being no exception!

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #54,972 of 63,932
I still don't understand why people don't like the ASX, but maybe that's because I have no idea what linear phase tuning and a cohesive sound is.
They are one of my favorites, but I do admit all I have is budget stuff.....they were bought on a nice sale so they go into my budget category.
If you like it, it's good. It really is that simple.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #54,973 of 63,932
What about zsx vs dq6 for a beginner? Asked a more detailed question in the sub100 thread, but like to ask here too. I'm intrigued by the high-tech zsx (since people are excited about it and say it's better than the zs10pro if you have neither of them), but wonder if the qd6 might be a better start and allrounder. Neither of them is a bad buy I think, but as a first IEM id like to know which is better. The zxs was recommended to me and is high on a lot of lists, closely followed by the zs10pro. Dq6 seems newer and maybe a bit boring?
I have both and like both. The DQ6, however, is my preferred option because the frequencies are more balanced, the mids (esp. male vocals) are greatly superior, and the sound stage is more spacious. I'd recommend the DQ6 as a starter unless you want more of an accentuated bass.

If you buy the DQ6 you also need after market eartips (I use blue BGVPs) and a replacement cable. It's one of those rare situations where EVERYBODY agrees the stock tips ruin the sound and the cable is a tangly mess. Get a 16-core TRN cable for $10 in whatever color makes you happy and you're potentially set for life. Don't worry about the cable material affecting the sound--it can't and won't. Buy whatever 8- or 16-core cable you like.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #54,974 of 63,932
If you buy the DQ6 you also need after market eartips (I use blue BGVPs)
I am using BGVPs, A08 (blue one) too. After tips rolling, I find they are good match for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back