Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #54,121 of 64,160
I own a ton of KZ and CCA IEMS and my favorites were BA10 and ZS10 PRO until I picked up a pair of Silver CKX IEMS! They are small, comfortable and sound phenomenal! I’m using a Tripowin balanced cable and SednaEarfitLight tips, These are very good and getting better and at the $79 I paid a steal!
They sound better or as good as units I own that cost 3-4 times as much. Do yourself a favor and look into the CKX!

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #54,122 of 64,160
I own a ton of KZ and CCA IEMS and my favorites were BA10 and ZS10 PRO until I picked up a pair of Silver CKX IEMS! They are small, comfortable and sound phenomenal! I’m using a Tripowin balanced cable and SednaEarfitLight tips, These are very good and getting better and at the $79 I paid a steal!
They sound better or as good as units I own that cost 3-4 times as much. Do yourself a favor and look into the CKX!

I have just got the CKX and they sound good but have only used them very briefly. I agree the CKX are so small considering the driver count.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #54,123 of 64,160
Sorry if it's a repetitive question, but, has anyone compared the DQ6's bass to Z1? I do believe this XUN driver got famous in this TWS implementation and I'm wondering if the DQ6 can reproduce the same recipe aka good sub-bass extension and deep rumble. (looking for a fun set for electronic music)

TIA!

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #54,124 of 64,160
DQ6 can reproduce......good sub-bass extension and deep rumble.......for a fun set for electronic music
I can’t speak for the Z1, but I edited your comment. It is a true statement.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #54,125 of 64,160
finally my kz aptx hd arrived, and pair it up with my kz as10, with the note 10 plus + wavelet 30% as10 profiling eq, it sounds "fun" on trivium's new album in mqa, too bad note only has aptx and not the HD, but at least some leeway

too bad the volume jump is from "very quiet" to "TOO MUCH" in just one volume step, like a low gain jump to high gain

See if this helps:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-15711392

I'm actually interested if they fixed this bug already! i bought mine like 2 years ago.

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #54,127 of 64,160
What are currently the best KZ under $15 (on AliExpress)?

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #54,129 of 64,160
I've been testing my new DQ6 for a couple of days. Just light use so far.

I think the tuning is pretty good, closer to reality than some previous KZ designs. What strikes me the most, however, is the soundstage, transients, and percussion. There's pretty good separation and layering for a $27 IEM. But it's presented in a somewhat artificial fashion.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the BLONs and the other DD IEMs with their lush, naturalistic presentation. There's a number of 'musical' IEMs out there, you know what I mean. What the DQ6 is doing, though, is selectively boosting certain types of sound. Percussion get a thuddy elevation, and I feel that a number of voices and instruments are being strategically placed so that I can hear them well. That's great, I can hear everything really well. But it isn't quite as natural as some of those IEMs that mush it all together like the BL-01. It's more like the CCA C10 [boosting vocals] and the TRN BA5 [boosting percussion]. It's 'colouring' the soundstage.

Now this is actually helpful for some genres. I'm enjoying metal with it more than with the BL-01/BL-05s. Gotta say the selective elevation of parts of the soundstage reminds me a little of the BL-05s.

There's also some bass rumble that's not so present in the BLONs. Again, it feels like an artificial 'layer' in the background, kind of like those waterfalls in old NES games. But it's got some rumble, yeah, approaching the V90. This combination of factors would make it really good for certain genres, just haven't figured out which. I obviously need more time with it, to figure out how the tuning stacks up to others. The overall sound is pretty open and powerful on my cheap AMP, so the DQ6 is probably good with many mobile devices.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #54,130 of 64,160
ST1 is a poor imitation of ZSN. EDX despite being a DD is fairly competent at that price point. Between the two, I'd take EDX any day because it still has that KZ fun factor and fit is excellent as well. With some snug fitting tips (if you don't prefer foam tips i.e.) they sound very good as lower mids gain some prominence and the brightness up top is slightly tamed. ST1 sounds very steely to me and have barely used them 5-6 times in last year or so.

Pros of EDX -

Snug fit
Fun signature (very similar to yesteryear's budget KZs)
Better connectivity as it uses standard 2-pin connectors

Pros of ST1 -

Better looking than EDX
Sonically it doesn't fare well against the EDX.

Yes, agree with this. The ST1 is a fun pair if you are BA tolerant but I think the EDX is a better choice.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #54,131 of 64,160
I can’t speak for the Z1, but I edited your comment. It is a true statement.
The Z1 is a bit more aggressive than the DQ6 and I'd suggest trying other tips to emphasize the bass if that is what you are going for on the DQ6. I like the DQ6, but not those stock tips.

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #54,134 of 64,160
I've been testing my new DQ6 for a couple of days. Just light use so far.

I think the tuning is pretty good, closer to reality than some previous KZ designs. What strikes me the most, however, is the soundstage, transients, and percussion. There's pretty good separation and layering for a $27 IEM. But it's presented in a somewhat artificial fashion.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the BLONs and the other DD IEMs with their lush, naturalistic presentation. There's a number of 'musical' IEMs out there, you know what I mean. What the DQ6 is doing, though, is selectively boosting certain types of sound. Percussion get a thuddy elevation, and I feel that a number of voices and instruments are being strategically placed so that I can hear them well. That's great, I can hear everything really well. But it isn't quite as natural as some of those IEMs that mush it all together like the BL-01. It's more like the CCA C10 [boosting vocals] and the TRN BA5 [boosting percussion]. It's 'colouring' the soundstage.

Now this is actually helpful for some genres. I'm enjoying metal with it more than with the BL-01/BL-05s. Gotta say the selective elevation of parts of the soundstage reminds me a little of the BL-05s.

There's also some bass rumble that's not so present in the BLONs. Again, it feels like an artificial 'layer' in the background, kind of like those waterfalls in old NES games. But it's got some rumble, yeah, approaching the V90. This combination of factors would make it really good for certain genres, just haven't figured out which. I obviously need more time with it, to figure out how the tuning stacks up to others. The overall sound is pretty open and powerful on my cheap AMP, so the DQ6 is probably good with many mobile devices.

Nice return, I share a lot of points.
There is indeed something a little tampered with in the treble.
But the general presentation, the level of detail, the openness make them a pleasant pair to listen to!

Quickly compared to BL03 BL01, BLONs seems to me more cool for metal or electro. This because of their big sound hollowed out with big bass.
The QD6 are tuned more balanced.

I am trying to find the right treble balance with an equalizer, aiming for the A7 as a reference. If I find something cool I'll share it with you. :)

@amsterk, if you like more balanced tuning than this usual KZ product, go for it!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #54,135 of 64,160
what does BA tolerant mean? I never own an IEM that uses BA, only dynamic driver

BAs sounds more detailled but they can have a more metallic presentation, Can sound too peaky, that give more openess and sense of details but in other way that be tiring.

ST1 at first listening are enjoyables, big lows, lot of details. But that is synthetic if you compare with a better set.
QD6 support comparaison with more better set than ST1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back