Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #53,581 of 64,162
I'm thinking about drilling a hole into the backplate of my ZSN Pro's and covering the hole with a mesh to make them "open back". Any suggestions/problems that you see?

I just did last night...
And guess what?
Cover back the hole with toothpick and gave it new hole with needle.

sketch-1610090498172.png

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #53,582 of 64,162
Did it sound weird? What problems did u have with it and did it change the soundscape at all?

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #53,584 of 64,162
Did it sound weird? What problems did u have with it and did it change the soundscape at all?

Altough only a milimeter bigger than original vent, it sounds too loose for me (no mesh). The problem with using the mesh from inside, the sounds become different between channels.
I tought old vent mod like this only work for bullet shape shell iems.
You can try yourself, if something wrong happen, you can always revert to original hole size using blutack.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #53,587 of 64,162
I am using the Mh755 tips...Large, on my Edx and boy what am improvement in sound quality.. Reduces the harshness and smooths them out considerably.. Bass impact has increased without spilling over.. Better definition and still detailed... Made an already good sounding iem sound much better imo... More comfortable fit and seal as well...

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #53,588 of 64,162
Hehehehehe here are my impressions of the KZ ZAX https://www.perrivanaudio.com/post/kz-zax-review! I have to say, it is so far the best sounding KZ that I tried over the past few years.

I quite like mine as well. As a matter of fact, I'm listening with them right now... 📱🎧🎶😎

By the way, the minor issues you mentioned about sound quality can easily be remedy by EQ. I've done so with - tuned to Harman - and it did noticeably improve.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #53,589 of 64,162
I am using the Mh755 tips...Large, on my Edx and boy what am improvement in sound quality.. Reduces the harshness and smooths them out considerably.. Bass impact has increased without spilling over.. Better definition and still detailed... Made an already good sounding iem sound much better imo... More comfortable fit and seal as well...

Not too mention you got an awesome iem with those tips for $5 :grin: And to think people walk into Best Buy and get cheap, bad sounding Skull Candies for $19.99 a pair:scream: They are also worthy cables tweaks which credit goes to Slater and the late and great Hungry Panda R.I.P. our friend:pray:

Sony Trio.JPG

Not to stray too far from thread topic and get myself TERMINATED:open_mouth:

Budget Friday.JPG

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #53,591 of 64,162

Those MH755 tips... what can't they do?

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #53,592 of 64,162
KZ are getting closer to making a really good TWS but they still need to address some key issues...For those interested, I just published my review of the SA08.

Between the Z1 (single DD "XUN") and the SA08 which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

Wish I could say but I've never heard the AS12. Sorry.

I know you're the O.G. when it comes to KZ Acoustics.

I can't seem to get my DQ6 soon enough but still looking forward to your review on them.

The AS12's trebles seem to be very complete and ideally balanced with upper-midrange.

Agreed.

"The AS12's trebles seem to be very complete and ideally balanced with upper-midrange." ...and lower frequencies (just like the BA10).

It's not as warm as the BA10 but it's a supreme listening experience.

I haven't heard the ZS7, ZSX, ZAX or ASX (I do have ASF) but considering my extensive collection the AS12 is KZ's best effort as of January 2021.

I am tempted to pick up a ZSX and ZAX but given the tuning of the BA10 and AS12 I'm just not tempted enough. I do regret not picking up the ZS7 (the ZS6 is one of my favorites) but it will be a dark day when the BA10 and AS12 are no longer available.

Am I incorrect in my understanding that you like the $70 AS12 as much as your $700 Moondrop S8?

20210108_155912.jpg

11233985.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #53,593 of 64,162
Between the Z1 (single DD "XUN") and the SA08 which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

I know you're the O.G. when it comes to KZ Acoustics.

I can't seem to get my DQ6 soon enough but still looking forward to your review on them.

Agreed.

"The AS12's trebles seem to be very complete and ideally balanced with upper-midrange." ...and lower frequencies (just like the BA10).

It's not as warm as the BA10 but it's a supreme listening experience.

I haven't heard the ZS7, ZSX, ZAX or ASX (I do have ASF) but considering my extensive collection the AS12 is KZ's best effort as of January 2021.

I am tempted to pick up a ZSX and ZAX but given the tuning of the BA10 and AS12 I'm just not tempted enough. I do regret not picking up the ZS7 (the ZS6 is one of my favorites) but it will be a dark day when the BA10 and AS12 are no longer available.

Am I incorrect in my understanding that you like the $70 AS12 as much as your $700 Moondrop S8?

11233985.jpg

Say What, you may have possibly missed the "A" in that naming!

1610135742755.png

KZ SA08 (TWS) :wink:

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #53,594 of 64,162
Hehehehehe here are my impressions of the KZ ZAX https://www.perrivanaudio.com/post/kz-zax-review! I have to say, it is so far the best sounding KZ that I tried over the past few years.
Hey m8, just wanted to say I am usually very critical of reviews and your site is laid out very well, has very concise well written reviews, and most of all... the photography is top notch.

One of the few edx reviews Iv seen outside headfi.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #53,595 of 64,162
I for one am an absolute fan of Sony hybrid tips (the real ones or the copies you can find everywhere on AE) and I'll try them on the EDX to see how they sound.
I'm using TWS like tips on EDX now, as I like the fit they provide.
I'm not bothered the least by high mids and trebles of EDX, which I like very much, perhaps I'm not sensitive to this part of the sound spectrum?
I also must say I'm always listening at quite low volume (60dB usually, 70dN -peak- when I'm going crazy!) so that probably helps reduce the harshness a lot of people are talking about? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back