Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #53,566 of 63,796
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #53,567 of 63,796
I'm quite surprised there isn't more talk about the EDX on Head-Fi?

I love me some EDX goodness :)

A46A0B81-F7F7-4C60-AEE7-7ACE32E8E6E8.jpeg

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #53,568 of 63,796

Wow, great! :hearts:
Mine are the same base "color", except they are still stock, given I don’t have any skills in opening earphones or soldering, etc, etc... :sweat_smile:

Anyway, great to see I’m not alone to really like those EDX, regardless of the absolute steal price!

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #53,569 of 63,796

Dude, send me those babies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: LOL

So Pod's been A/B'ing (just enjoying really) these two setups all morning and different in presentation however enjoying the heck out of both, balanced on the 4's and SE with the 7's:grin:

Shiny Runabout.JPG

Accessorized.JPG

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #53,570 of 63,796
I keep being told that the DQ6 is kind of like a BL-01, in some ways with better technicalities. So I caved and bought one yesterday.

I lacked discipline and sprung for one with an included KZ 8-core copper OFC [for same price as regular DQ6, instead of even further discount.]

Probably should have gotten a separate ZAX cable, since I read that it might move it a little away from the KZ house sound. People are saying I should use a 'brighter' cable. So are we talking silver? I have a TRN T2 SPC for my BL-05s already on the way. [I know this is kinda dumb since it's <5% of the sound, but I figure the tips and amp situation is already fine].

So I guess I'll be cable-rolling DQ6 with a KZ copper OFC for starters, just because.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #53,571 of 63,796
I keep being told that the DQ6 is kind of like a BL-01, in some ways with better technicalities. So I caved and bought one yesterday.

I lacked discipline and sprung for one with an included KZ 8-core copper OFC [for same price as regular DQ6, instead of even further discount.]

Probably should have gotten a separate ZAX cable, since I read that it might move it a little away from the KZ house sound. People are saying I should use a 'brighter' cable. So are we talking silver? I have a TRN T2 SPC for my BL-05s already on the way. [I know this is kinda dumb since it's <5% of the sound, but I figure the tips and amp situation is already fine].

So I guess I'll be cable-rolling DQ6 with a KZ copper OFC for starters, just because.

I caved in and bought one as well and they should be delivered by the end of next week if I am lucky.
Also ordered the CCA CST and have the CCA CKX arriving some time as well.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #53,573 of 63,796

IMO the DQ6 doesn't sound like the BL-01 at all:sweat_smile:and sounds best to my ears with a 4-core OFC as a 8-core provides too much bass response.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #53,574 of 63,796

That grey looks good.

Tried to get the line as straight as possible so it would touch the sub bass.
After several attempts (drawing with my finger) this is the closest I could get.

20210107_171947.jpg

Anyway, for $30 it'll be great if it sounds the way this graph looks.

Thanks for the graph.

Looking forward to receiving these.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #53,575 of 63,796
That grey looks good.

Tried to get the line as straight as possible so it would touch the sub bass.
After several attempts (drawing with my finger) this is the closest I could get.

20210107_171947.jpg

Anyway, for $30 it'll be great if it sounds the way this graph looks.

Thanks for the graph.

Looking forward to receiving these.

You're welcome. I suspect the 7k hump is larger than what my measurements show. Normally that region doesn't bother me at all but here I notice it. Still doesn't exceed my tolerances, but it does stick out. I suspect that's going to be the main sticking point for those who dislike the DQ6. Other than that I really have no complaints about it so far. 28 CAD well spent imo.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #53,576 of 63,796
You're welcome. I suspect the 7k hump is larger than what my measurements show. Normally that region doesn't bother me at all but here I notice it. Still doesn't exceed my tolerances, but it does stick out. I suspect that's going to be the main sticking point for those who dislike the DQ6. Other than that I really have no complaints about it so far. 28 CAD well spent imo.

Interestingly enough, the AS12 has a 7khz and 9khz lift as a counterbalance to the lower frequencies without sucking life from the midrange.

Would you say the DQ6 shares those characteristics?

I'm kind of hoping the DQ6 will give me an AS12-like presentation. That way I'll have an all-DD set to compliment my favorite all-BA set.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #53,577 of 63,796
Interestingly enough, the AS12 has a 7khz and 9khz lift as a counterbalance to the lower frequencies without sucking life from the midrange.

Would you say the DQ6 shares those characteristics?

I'm kind of hoping the DQ6 will give me an AS12-like presentation. That way I'll have an all-DD set to compliment my favorite all-BA set.

Wish I could say but I've never heard the AS12. Sorry.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #53,580 of 63,796
I'm thinking about drilling a hole into the backplate of my ZSN Pro's and covering the hole with a mesh to make them "open back". Any suggestions/problems that you see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back