Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #52,368 of 63,930
Ordered ASF blindly. Then saw crinacle graph here and started reading this thread. Read it so much that I feel I want also to wright something about them, once I got them.

First, the fit is great (for my more or less average ears). Other IEM I had (4 pairs) were always traveling in ear canal a little, you always wonder if you have to push them inside more or not and so on. These KZ just sit in the place and thats it. No adjustment is needed. They seal even with shortened stock tips. What is great is that they do not change position in the canal and sound on the go, like other earphones do.

With stock tips, the sound was a bit weird, as graph indicates, with a lot of bass and upper treble pushed down a bit. But I didn't hear them as muffled or muddy or veiled. The details were there, I think they have a good resolution. I tried some other tips and found the ones that come with Fiio f9se, grey with red inside and wider bore, make the sound better. They draw treble up and calm mid-bass a little. The sound becomes more balanced that way. They are not great, because the bass is still thick and in treble these tips bring the treble up, including lower part of it, which already was enough, like 5-6kHz area becomes a little shouty at some records. But they are still very enjoyable. Resolution is good while treble is not fatiguing. Make accent on voices. The bass is biger than it should be, but not as big as to distract you all the time. Some people say they have small or "intimate" soundstage. I feel, it is quite ok (with Fiio tips), they don't play just in your head. Things that should go to the left or right - going there. The width is comparable to Fiio f9se or Hifiman re-400. Some sounds apear on different hight as well.
Also, tried them with some very wide bore tips. That way the bass comes down seriously, they become way to thin. But the thing is, sound is quite adjustable by tips. People with tons of them can probably find desired sound.

Overall, at one side, I'm glad I like and able to enjoy the sound with wide range of music. After seeing the graph I thought I have ordered crap. On the other side, I feel with these drivers it was quite possible to make really great sounding neutral earphones. Unfortunately, manufacturers seem to adress "hobbyists", who have tons of earphones using them as sort of different EQ presets. Really, they should leave that big bass thing to hybrids and make at least BA line more neutral, for people who want to enjoy music in great sound quality. But they keep making "interesting" sounding earphones, when they should do (at least some models) accurare.
Try some foam tips if you haven't.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #52,369 of 63,930
I think, people who only have stock tips, will hear something similar to measurements.
That's why I said it over and over again that the stock white tips are trash. Complete utter garbage.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #52,370 of 63,930
That's why I said it over and over again that the stock white tips are trash. Complete utter garbage.

I've always gotten the best fit and sound with aftermarket tips on all my earphones. Sometimes the difference is small (i.e. stock tips aren't bad), sometimes it's large (stock tips are terrible). Knowing that means that I have to take a lot of reviews and graphs with a grain of salt, because I don't know if a) the stock tips are the best for the earphones in question or b) if the stock tips would be best for the reviewer (or me). As a result, the reviews that I value the most are the ones where reviewers try different tips, talk about them and the effect on fit and sound. Then I try to triangulate that with my experiences to come up with a personal guesstimate on what I think I'll experience.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #52,372 of 63,930
Now I am thinking of getting some foam tips too. I would like to go with Inairs, mostly cause I can get them rather quickly and they are not super expensive. Also I had them before and I liked them.

They have a size that fits the ZSX and a size that does fit the ATE and ZS10 for example. They do not tell you the inner diameter though. Does anybody know if one of these should fit the ASX?

If there are other must have foam tips, I am open for suggestions. Allthough I have no interest into ordering something from china again, cause it will likely arrive two weeks after the ASX.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #52,373 of 63,930
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #52,374 of 63,930
*** no
lol, the guy went all in...
I kinda find it hard to believe that the ASF score 1/5 or lower in every parameter.
Even earphones which disappointed me the most weren't this bad.

According to him the ASF are worse than the ZS3.

But it is possible i guess...
*** no! I have zs3 and the asf sound miles better than that. The zs3 is okay but its the old KZ sound (dark and very recessed vocal)

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #52,375 of 63,930
Why are the reviews so polarising? Is there a massive problem with the qc?

So far we either had a "it is their best iem" and "stay away, it is horrible". Nothing in between. That does not feel normal.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #52,376 of 63,930

So far we either had a "it is their best iem" and "stay away, it is horrible". Nothing in between. That does not feel normal.
It can either be bad fit or they got a lemon. The ASX is more prone for QC problem as they have to solder so many BA drivers to the crossover board and such. The tubing attachment can also be a problem I think. Even on my ASX, the seams on the extended lip was sharp and uneven so I have to sand it down a little to smoothen it out. My ASF also has cosmetic problem where there is no black coating on some part on the faceplate. None of these affect the sound tho.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #52,377 of 63,930
Question:
Which other KZ iems has a shell that is exactly like the ones on ASF & ASX?
I want to get something cheap to do a test fitting, and decide if ASX or ASF will be comfortable for my ears.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #52,378 of 63,930

That what I was thinking......afraid to order another one with these strange opposing opinions.
He hates the lows. I don't notice anything wrong with them. In fact that was probably the first thing I liked when I listened to them.
He says female vocals are muffled. I say nope, not even close. They are quite clear and forward to me.
He says male vocals are nasal and wonky. I say nope, not hearing this at all.
He says Cymbal strikes and hi-hats are barely registered. I think maybe these sounds could be brighter...not sure.
Not experienced enough to comment on his other points.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #52,379 of 63,930
Question:
Which other KZ iems has a shell that is exactly like the ones on ASF & ASX?
I want to get something cheap to do a test fitting, and decide if ASX or ASF will be comfortable for my ears.

Thanks.
CA16 iirc but I am not too sure.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #52,380 of 63,930
*** no

*** no! I have zs3 and the asf sound miles better than that. The zs3 is okay but its the old KZ sound (dark and very recessed vocal)

He didn't actually say it. I'm saying if the zs3 were 60$ I couldn't score it 1/5 in every aspect.
There has to be something good about the ASF, Kz didnt release a bad iem for years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back