Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #52,354 of 63,975
ASF are coming...
Sounds so much better than ASX
Better housing and material quality than ASX.
the body is made of more durable plastic, and the faceplate is slightly heavier, but just as pleasant to the touch. I just don't understand the logic of how it is in

Attachments

• 20201109_190612.jpg
    20201109_190612.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #52,355 of 63,975
Now, we seem to collect about all diverse and polar and controversial opinions on ASX and ASF :) :)

My hat off to KZ!

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #52,357 of 63,975
FWIW there is absolutely no reality in which balanced armatures "burn in."

It's dubious enough to claim that dynamic drivers do, but BA absolute do not.
When you change a string on a guitar or violin, does it sound the same right away?

Having said this, I do believe that the brain adjustment plays a significant (if not a major) role in the "burn-in" effect.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #52,358 of 63,975
When you change a string on a guitar or violin, does it sound the same right away?

Having said this, I do believe that the brain adjustment plays a significant (if not a major) role in the "burn-in" effect.
I've had the chance to try out the burn in myth/fact when getting multiple pairs of the same iem and its a bit of both.

While brain burn-in is a very real and significant thing, there is real burn in as well but the effect is minor in most iems but can be major in some. Especially when drivers made of rigid materials are concerned. Its most noticeable when sibilance is concerned but that usually goes away in a few short hours, not hundreds of hours.

That said, i've heard some iems that sound vastly different after hundreds of hours of use compared to one with just several hours of use, namely my JVC FXH-30. I got a pair in 2016 and another as a spare in 2019 and they sounded very very different.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #52,359 of 63,975

There are many reasons why this is a terrible analogy but I don't feel like getting into this discussion again. The point is, no, they do not burn in. You adjust to their sound. That's all.

I'm reminded of people insisting their Audeze headphones sounded different after burn-in, only to be informed that Audeze does burn-in at the factory before shipping them out.

It ain't real. End of story.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #52,360 of 63,975
I'm reminded of people insisting their Audeze headphones sounded different after burn-in, only to be informed that Audeze does burn-in at the factory before shipping them out.
How long do audeze burn in? They probably say that its not enough and you need at least 10x that amount lol. :joy:

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #52,361 of 63,975
There are many reasons why this is a terrible analogy but I don't feel like getting into this discussion again. The point is, no, they do not burn in. You adjust to their sound. That's all.

It ain't real. End of story.
If you do not "feel to discuss" - why bother to comment, it is not about your feelings here, sorry.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #52,362 of 63,975
If you do not "feel to discuss" - why bother to comment, it is not about your feelings here, sorry.

Because it's a boatload of typing that you aren't going to listen to anyway. I've gone into the burn-in myth a million times and I'm tired of typing it all out every single time. This is my last post on the matter.

Back on track, the ZAX has me a little perplexed at the moment, and I'm wondering if KZ is going to get into anything beyond just sticking more drivers in there. One reason I liked the ZSX was that it was actually putting more effort into tuning. The difference between the ZSX and ZAX just seems to be cramming another BA per side.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #52,364 of 63,975
Because it's a boatload of typing that you aren't going to listen to anyway. I've gone into the burn-in myth a million times and I'm tired of typing it all out every single time. This is my last post on the matter.

Back on track, the ZAX has me a little perplexed at the moment, and I'm wondering if KZ is going to get into anything beyond just sticking more drivers in there. One reason I liked the ZSX was that it was actually putting more effort into tuning. The difference between the ZSX and ZAX just seems to be cramming another BA per side.
Arguably, it is very tiring to hear opinions presented as an absolute truth only in their form not substance...

Back to KZ, I found ZAX to be a significant improvement on ZSX for me, so I did not get back to ZSX (and C12) for the last couple of months.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #52,365 of 63,975
Ordered ASF blindly. Then saw crinacle graph here and started reading this thread. Read it so much that I feel I want also to wright something about them, once I got them.

First, the fit is great (for my more or less average ears). Other IEM I had (4 pairs) were always traveling in ear canal a little, you always wonder if you have to push them inside more or not and so on. These KZ just sit in the place and thats it. No adjustment is needed. They seal even with shortened stock tips. What is great is that they do not change position in the canal and sound on the go, like other earphones do.

With stock tips, the sound was a bit weird, as graph indicates, with a lot of bass and upper treble pushed down a bit. But I didn't hear them as muffled or muddy or veiled. The details were there, I think they have a good resolution. I tried some other tips and found the ones that come with Fiio f9se, grey with red inside and wider bore, make the sound better. They draw treble up and calm mid-bass a little. The sound becomes more balanced that way. They are not great, because the bass is still thick and in treble these tips bring the treble up, including lower part of it, which already was enough, like 5-6kHz area becomes a little shouty at some records. But they are still very enjoyable. Resolution is good while treble is not fatiguing. Make accent on voices. The bass is biger than it should be, but not as big as to distract you all the time. Some people say they have small or "intimate" soundstage. I feel, it is quite ok (with Fiio tips), they don't play just in your head. Things that should go to the left or right - going there. The width is comparable to Fiio f9se or Hifiman re-400. Some sounds apear on different hight as well.
Also, tried them with some very wide bore tips. That way the bass comes down seriously, they become way to thin. But the thing is, sound is quite adjustable by tips. People with tons of them can probably find desired sound.

Overall, at one side, I'm glad I like and able to enjoy the sound with wide range of music. After seeing the graph I thought I have ordered crap. On the other side, I feel with these drivers it was quite possible to make really great sounding neutral earphones. Unfortunately, manufacturers seem to adress "hobbyists", who have tons of earphones using them as sort of different EQ presets. Really, they should leave that big bass thing to hybrids and make at least BA line more neutral, for people who want to enjoy music in great sound quality. But they keep making "interesting" sounding earphones, when they should do (at least some models) accurare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back