Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #44,506 of 63,907
Those vents are ‘rear’ vents, which actually increases low end. So you want them.

The vent that would increase sub bass when covered would be the ‘front’ vent, which on the ZS10 Pro is by the nozzle and has a little white filter (with a black ring of adhesive around the outside). It looks like a little white bullseye. If you partially or fully cover that vent, it will increase sub bass.

However, it may simultaneously cause some driver flex, as positive air pressure that builds up upon insertion into the ear canal won’t have anywhere to vent.

So you may have to experiment with it, leaving some of it uncovered. Or you can totally cover it with tape, but then poke a small hole in the tape with a sewing needle.

how do I tell which vent hole on IEM is the "rear" and which would be the "front"? is it relative to the position of where the DD driver is located in the IEM body?

May 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #44,508 of 63,907
I am wondering about getting a cheap headphone amp for my KZ earphones. I have Zsn pro, Atr, Ate, Zs5 and a couple more which i use with my Samsung S9 and Spotify. I have never owned a amp before and wondering if anyone of you are using a amp with KZs low priced earphones? Is it worth it?

May 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #44,509 of 63,907
how do I tell which vent hole on IEM is the "rear" and which would be the "front"? is it relative to the position of where the DD driver is located in the IEM body?

It depends on the design of the particular IEM.

The physical position of the vent on the IEM shell may be different from ‘front’ or ‘back’. For example, BQEYZ puts ALL of their vents (front and back vents) right next to one another on the inside surface of the IEM (in the front of the IEM by the nozzle). The ZSN, ZSN Pro, and ZS10 Pro has ‘rear’ driver vents located in the back and front of the IEM.

But the front and back vents I’m referring to is in relation to the driver, not the physical location.

The ‘front’ vent would be any vent that regulates air pressure between the diaphragm of the driver and the end of the IEM nozzle. In other words, it’s venting the music (usually bass) that’s being outputted from the driver(s).

The ‘rear’ vent is the air the driver is ‘breathing in’ so to speak. It is any vent that is regulating pressure behind the diaphragm of the driver.

So to think of it like car engine, the ‘rear’ vent of an IEM is like the air intake of a car. It’s usually located in the engine compartment somewhere, but technically it can be located anywhere on the car. It takes air into the engine (the engine being like the driver diaphragm). Likewise, the ‘front’ vent of the IEM is like the exhaust system/muffler of the car. It’s where the ‘output’ of the engine goes. It’s usually located at the very back of a car, but again the exhaust could be technically located anywhere on a car.

So tweaking the front or rear vents of an IEM is like tweaking the intake and exhaust of a car. You can change the engine characteristics by making the air intake more or less restrictive, and also making the exhaust system more or less restrictive.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #44,510 of 63,907
It depends on the design of the particular IEM.

The physical position of the vent on the IEM shell may be different from ‘front’ or ‘back’.

BQEYZ puts ALL of their vents (front and back) right next to one another on the inside surface of the IEM!

But the front and back I’m referring to is in relation to the driver.

The ‘front’ vent would be any vent that regulates air pressure between the diaphragm of the driver and the end of the IEM nozzle. In other words, it’s venting the music (usually bass) that’s being outputted from the driver(s).

The ‘rear’ vent is the air the driver is ‘breathing in’ so to speak. It is any vent that is regulating pressure behind the diaphragm of the driver.

So to think of it like car engine, the ‘rear’ vent of an IEM is like the air intake of a car. It’s usually located in the engine compartment somewhere, but technically it can be located anywhere on the car. It takes air into the engine (the engine being like the driver diaphragm). Likewise, the ‘front’ vent of the IEM is like the exhaust system/muffler of the car. It’s where the ‘output’ of the engine goes. It’s usually located at the very back of a car, but again the exhaust could be technically located anywhere on a car.

So tweaking the front or rear vents of an IEM is like tweaking the intake and exhaust of a car. You can change the engine characteristics by making the air intake more or less restrictive, and also making the exhaust system more or less restrictive.

Got it, thx!

And can I assume it’ll generally increase bass by (partially) closing the front vent?

May 25, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #44,511 of 63,907
Got it, thx!

And can I assume it’ll generally increase bass by (partially) closing the front vent?

The short answer is yes, it will generally increase bass.

The longer answer is that it won’t make more bass where none exists; the driver makes a set amount of bass regardless. It is simply reducing the loss of bass due to the pressure which leaks out the front vent (if that makes sense).

It’s like the seal from the eartip. If the ear tip is too small or doesn’t have a good seal, the earphone isn’t making less bass. It’s just that some of the air pressure is leaking out.

Think of it like a garden hose with a hole poked in it. The water spigot itself sends out water at the same rate (say 2 gallons per minute). But if there’s a hole (vent) in the hose, some water is leaking out of that vent on its way to the end of the hose. So only 1.75 gallons per minute of water may actually be coming out the very end of the hose. Plugging up the hole (vent) in the hose won’t magically make 3 gallons of water per minute come out the spigot; it’s still coming out at 2 gallons per minute. The difference is that with the vent/hole plugged, 100% of those 2 gallons of water is coming out the very end of the hose.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #44,512 of 63,907
I have a FIIO A3 amp and use it with my set of KZ iems (ZS10 Pro, ZS10 ,and AS10)
Yesterday I tried out my Ate using my amp and it certainly made a difference to the SQ of the ate.

I am wondering about getting a cheap headphone amp for my KZ earphones. I have Zsn pro, Atr, Ate, Zs5 and a couple more which i use with my Samsung S9 and Spotify. I have never owned a amp before and wondering if anyone of you are using a amp with KZs low priced earphones? Is it worth it?

May 25, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #44,517 of 63,907
May 26, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #44,519 of 63,907
I have been using portable battery powered amps for my portable gear and headphones for the past 14 years. They really do make a difference. Currently, I use a Fiio Q1MK2, which also has a digital-to-analogue converter (or DAC) in it, with my Samsung S8+. I highly recommend it for around $100. It sounds really great, and would be a nice upgrade to ANY earphone. I use it with my KZ ZS10 PRO and Moondrop Kanas Pro, as well as all of my over ear headphones. It's an awesome piece of kit for the price, and really elevates the SQ to a much better level when compared to the headphone out and built in dac in your S9. The Q1MK2 is available on Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress amongst others. I highly rec this unit because it will keep up with your needs, should you decide to upgrade your earphones in the future. This thing is extremely versatile, as it can be used as a standalone dac, amp, or line stage if you want to hook your computer to it to use as a preamp for powered speakers. For around $100 it's a steal.
Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention... it also has a balanced output, something that isn't even offered as standard equipment on many digital audio players.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #44,520 of 63,907
Hey guys. I need if possible, a longer, high quality cable for my AS16 and AS10. I use these primarily for in ears for my drums, so a longer cable than the stock kz would be great. Thanks!

What about an 3.5mm aux extension?

They come in all sorts of lengths, and are inexpensive.

Some good budget ones are Vention, mediabridge, and ugreen.

Just search Aliexpress, Amazon, etc for “3.5mm aux extension” and you’ll see them all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back