Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #44,386 of 63,860
Same here Doc, matter a fact I'm listening to my new Benjie X6 on them right now and they sound crazy good:beerchug: You are also right about where Chee-Fee is today:thumbsup:

How did I miss that new Benjie? I know I was doing a Benjie search a few days ago ...

and I always thought it was "Cheye-Feye" (as in "eye" ... or me myself & "I" :) )

May 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #44,387 of 63,860
As I said I would I popped open the zsn pros (with some effort though, as they were glued shut unlike the zsn's shell) and wow look at the size of that magnet ring! These babies were in fact so strong the earphones tend to stick to each other if left dangling. The images below show the pros in purple and the non-pros in black. The pros also seem to have a mystery glue blob covering what looks to be some terminals.
IMG_20190523_151206.jpg
IMG_20190521_221003.jpg

May 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #44,388 of 63,860
Picked up the grey silver 8-core Kinboofi from the post office today. Back home I hooked it up to my older ZS6 and yeah ... I like what I hear ... a lot!, just need more time to go through some more test tracks and compare it to some other cables. On top of that, that cable looks pretty precious on the 6es, another 16 Eurons well spent.

I just love sweet pairings:grinning: Here's sweet silver 16 core on my DMG's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Caipirina The X6 sounds really sweet maybe even better than the S5, also a great video player as in this As-DM-Gardian rig:wink:

As-DM-Gard.JPG

@DeltaAudio , much nicer solder work in that pro as well:thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #44,389 of 63,860
Haha, yes - pages and pages of discussion was spent on that lol

Now, what IS possible is that KZ is using newer/different drivers in the most current production runs ZSTs.

We already know they’ve quietly updated the ED9 with a slightly different/better driver. The case seems to be the same with ZS6. And we also know they’ve refined the good old Bellsing 30095, which has improvements over the previous 30095 generation. And KZ uses the 30095 in almost every one of their IEMs (ZST included).

So it is possible that ZSTs bought today sound slightly different/better than the original ones. My point was there is no true ‘Pro’ ZST. The ZSN IS the upgraded ZST, according to KZ themselves. That’s why I see no reason to get a ZST nowadays (other than nostalgia or collectibility), when there’s truly overhauled versions of the ZST (ZSN and ZSN Pro) that is far superior to the ZST.
Just for completeness, KZ nowadays is calling the colorful version ZST Pro

Edit: tried to upload a picture of the box, but I'm obviously too fresh here ...

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_154549.jpg
    IMG_20190514_154549.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #44,390 of 63,860
Haha, yes - pages and pages of discussion was spent on that lol

Now, what IS possible is that KZ is using newer/different drivers in the most current production runs ZSTs.

We already know they’ve quietly updated the ED9 with a slightly different/better driver. The case seems to be the same with ZS6. And we also know they’ve refined the good old Bellsing 30095, which has improvements over the previous 30095 generation. And KZ uses the 30095 in almost every one of their IEMs (ZST included).

So it is possible that ZSTs bought today sound slightly different/better than the original ones. My point was there is no true ‘Pro’ ZST. The ZSN IS the upgraded ZST, according to KZ themselves. That’s why I see no reason to get a ZST nowadays (other than nostalgia or collectibility), when there’s truly overhauled versions of the ZST (ZSN and ZSN Pro) that is far superior to the ZST.
truth be told, the zst was never that good--its inital hype was probably more a function of it being the first kz hybrid. the zsn, otoh, is well tuned for such a cheap piece and i suspect it'll still be worth hearing in a couple of years

May 23, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #44,391 of 63,860
Well once again Pod's old saying of "We all hear them differently" rears it's pretty head because I still prefer my old carbon ZST's to my ZSN V1:grin: Of course it's also well documented that Pod's the original "High Range Drifter" too:rolling_eyes: The fact that KZ may be putting the new drivers in all their latest models of pre-existing iem's sucks because I'm sure not going to try and sell ones that may be considered inferior now because they have old 30095's in them:anguished: Now with that said maybe I should put all my old ones on the gifting list (4 ZS6's, 2 ZST's, 5 ED9's and all the others with original 30095's in them) and replace the ones I like that now have upgraded drivers in them since most are still inexpensive Chi-Fi:thinking:

Actually, I'll buy all four ZS6's and three ED9's from you, Pod (if you go that route).

Original ZS6 is still one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #44,393 of 63,860
Actually, I'll buy all four ZS6's and three ED9's from you, Pod (if you go that route).

Original ZS6 is still one of my all-time favorites.

You’ll be first on the list Doc:beerchug:

Ouch @loomisjohnson, that hurts. Guess old Pod can’t hear very well afterall:frowning2:

May 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #44,394 of 63,860
How did I miss that new Benjie? I know I was doing a Benjie search a few days ago ...

and I always thought it was "Cheye-Feye" (as in "eye" ... or me myself & "I" :) )
I say Chi Fi same as WiFi, but I think French people say Wee Fee so maybe they and others also say Chee Fee? LOL Either way is correct I suppose. :shrug:

May 23, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #44,395 of 63,860
As I said I would I popped open the zsn pros (with some effort though, as they were glued shut unlike the zsn's shell) and wow look at the size of that magnet ring! These babies were in fact so strong the earphones tend to stick to each other if left dangling. The images below show the pros in purple and the non-pros in black. The pros also seem to have a mystery glue blob covering what looks to be some terminals.

The ‘mystery glue blob’ is usually the voice coil wires, which are extremely thin and fragile and need to be protected at all costs (hence why they’re always protected by a blob of epoxy or potting compound etc).

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #44,396 of 63,860
ZS10 Pro vs CCA C16?

For a more fun and energetic listen, I much prefer the ZS10 Pro. The C16 is just too boring for me, unless I EQ it. The ZS10 is also much more comfortable for me.

I’m not saying the C16 is bad, only that I enjoy the ZS10 more. I can use the ZS10 all day every day, for every genre I listen to, with no EQ. I only like the C16 in small doses, with certain sources, and certain music, and only with EQ.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #44,398 of 63,860
Love my BA10's.

I still think it's a shame that those with small ears (and maybe even medium sized ears) will never be able to enjoy these.

Chi-Fi has almost irreversibly spoiled us. When the listed price of $90 was announced I thought KZ had gone overboard. I don't think so anymore. If you can wear the BA10 comfortably the BA10 is priced accurately. Probably one of the cleanest sounding KZ's on the market (haven't heard C16 or AS16).

All I have to do is cue up a few great tracks and I am reminded of how capable the BA10 is.

XXX

I think I saw a poster quite a while ago compare the BA10 to the C16 very favorably. I have a C16 on the way, but the BA10 has always intrigued me...

May 23, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #44,399 of 63,860
I think I saw a poster quite a while ago compare the BA10 to the C16 very favorably. I have a C16 on the way, but the BA10 has always intrigued me...
In my opinion, CA16 largely supersedes BA10.
More developed highs and a bit more bass with two BAs and definitely better resolution for CA16.
I learned to fit BA10 reasonably, and not even the size but those sharp corners are harsh for my ears to enjoy comfortably.

May 23, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #44,400 of 63,860

Are those ear :poop:?

:laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back