Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #43,651 of 63,995
Popped out my ZSNs today to check on them and noticed that the real reason of their immense success is not in delivering perfect sound but they deliver an audio experience which makes you love music. The listening makes me think about the song and not about this zone is boosted or that's out of balance. Probably they serve the purpose which earphones are meant to serve.
Yep. If ZSN were a band they would be AC/DC. Raw, gritty and super effing awesome! Not for everyone. And not all the time, but hard to not get energized when you hear them

May 1, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #43,652 of 63,995
More of a side-grade but a great bargain regardless. My thoughts on it here: https://primeaudio.org/kz-zsn-pro-review/

KZ ZSN Pro unboxing2.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #43,653 of 63,995
Yep. If ZSN were a band they would be AC/DC. Raw, gritty and super effing awesome! Not for everyone. And not all the time, but hard to not get energized when you hear them

Feel more like System of a down to me but I agree with you.

May 1, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #43,654 of 63,995
...and that is all I care about. I do love the ZSNs... and others:)

There are different ways to appreciate music. Nothing is wrong it's just different

May 1, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #43,655 of 63,995
I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same about my ZS7 and I think the CA4 might end up being the same. We can appreciate accuracy and technological excellence but as you say, it's the music that is important!

Intrigued by CA4 anyways. Will probably buy them in June sale. Have ordered KB100 this week so CA4 will take a backseat. This hobby of ours is eventually born out of music.

May 1, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #43,658 of 63,995
are those the CCA C04 you are referring to? I was looking at them for a while, but never really read anything about them ...
No, they are a new design, the CA4, (1DD+1BA) with the new type connectors like the ZSN and an alloy faceplate.

May 1, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #43,659 of 63,995
you know, not being a graph-head i find it helpful to analogize an iem to a band. i hear the zsn more as exile-era stones, but i take your point.

May 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #43,660 of 63,995
This is exactly why I asked! I knew you'd have a good answer. Anything I can pick up at Home Depot, etc that you know off-hand or recommend?

For most general uses, I use cheap generic 5-minute 2-part epoxy from Harbor Freight. It’s crystal clear, sets up in a few minutes, and only costs a few bucks. The tubes are cheap and eventually leak, so after a while I just pitch them and get a fresh batch since it’s so cheap.

You don’t want Gorilla Glue type stuff, as it foams and expands as it dries. It’s also a nasty yellowish tan color.

I’m sure Home Depot would have plain old quick setting 5-minute 2-part epoxy in clear. Most likely Loctite brand, as that’s what they seem to carry a lot of in their glue area.

Also, as Panda said, E8000 is good generic glue as well. It’s a 1 part adhesive (not 2-part), so it’s easier to use. But it’s not as strong as 2-part epoxy.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #43,662 of 63,995
received my kz zsn pros today. my unprofessional, not super trained thoughts.

its just meh. maybe a 2.5/5 beacuse I generally dont enjoy them overall. (but I do appreciate what they're giving people for the money)

the good: they get louder than my previous kz units which could be good for someone without a dac or amp for general everyday use. they offer some analytical depth in the upper mids and highs but to critique it, not in a balanced way. they stay in your ears pretty well.. build quality of the actual headpiece units seem solid. value of budget iems performance are always superb compared to on/overears so cant complain about that.

the bad: dont put the included tips in your ears, they smell like some nasty chemical. The sub is strong but quite a bit muddy, Im actually sometimes down for inflated bass frequencies, but these dont provide any utility. the lower mids are the worst part about this iem, it shows no resolution or length in turn, the treble seems emphasized and unbalanced and is a stop gap between the bass. the included cable doesnt seem very good, seems to tangle easily and it reeks. overall, I definetly wouldn't buy again, ill wait a few more years to see what budget offerings they have again. although, Im waiting on some foam tips, ill give them some more whirling when they arrive.

question: now that someone read my review, does anyone have anything to recommend to me?Looking for something very analytical, linear and balanced, sensitivity in-tact with the zsn pros with no mud with good price to performance ratio.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #43,664 of 63,995
received my kz zsn pros today. my unprofessional, not super trained thoughts.

its just meh. maybe a 2.5/5 beacuse I generally dont enjoy them overall. (but I do appreciate what they're giving people for the money)

the good: they get louder than my previous kz units which could be good for someone without a dac or amp for general everyday use. they offer some analytical depth in the upper mids and highs but to critique it, not in a balanced way. they stay in your ears pretty well.. build quality of the actual headpiece units seem solid. value of budget iems performance are always superb compared to on/overears so cant complain about that.

the bad: dont put the included tips in your ears, they smell like some nasty chemical. The sub is strong but quite a bit muddy, Im actually sometimes down for inflated bass frequencies, but these dont provide any utility. the lower mids are the worst part about this iem, it shows no resolution or length in turn, the treble seems emphasized and unbalanced and is a stop gap between the bass. the included cable doesnt seem very good, seems to tangle easily and it reeks. overall, I definetly wouldn't buy again, ill wait a few more years to see what budget offerings they have again. although, Im waiting on some foam tips, ill give them some more whirling when they arrive.

question: now that someone read my review, does anyone have anything to recommend to me?Looking for something very analytical, linear and balanced, sensitivity in-tact with the zsn pros with no mud with good price to performance ratio.
I think they need to be burned in for some hours to settle, Also coming straight from a more neutral sounding iem, earbud or headphone these can be bass heavy

May 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #43,665 of 63,995
For most general uses, I use cheap generic 5-minute 2-part epoxy from Harbor Freight. It’s crystal clear, sets up in a few minutes, and only costs a few bucks. The tubes are cheap and eventually leak, so after a while I just pitch them and get a fresh batch since it’s so cheap.

You don’t want Gorilla Glue type stuff, as it foams and expands as it dries. It’s also a nasty yellowish tan color.

I’m sure Home Depot would have plain old quick setting 5-minute 2-part epoxy in clear. Most likely Loctite brand, as that’s what they seem to carry a lot of in their glue area.

Also, as Panda said, E8000 is good generic glue as well. It’s a 1 part adhesive (not 2-part), so it’s easier to use. But it’s not as strong as 2-part epoxy.

You forgot to include protective eye wear, just in case a screw or solder wire piece flies at you.

4B75833A-C0F5-4FB5-AC9E-3D246466CE1B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back