Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 1, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #43,636 of 63,917
I've been enjoying my ZS7 but a few weeks ago the glue/adhesive around the nozzle on the left earpiece worked it self loose. This is the first issue I've had with any KZ iems. I know I could just probably super glue it back but I wonder if there is a better glue/adhesive to use that may not clog what appears to be exposed BAs and the dynamic driver. And while this left nozzle is loose, has anyone tried removing the grills to see if there is an improvement?

Do not use super glue, or you will royally screw up your drivers. Super Glue gives off gas fumes as it cures, which will deposit on your drivers. It looks like a white crystalline haze.

Use a small amount of fast dry 2-part epoxy (preferably one made for metal, but the regular kind is OK).

Don’t use too much. A very thin layer is all you need, applied with a needle or toothpick. Make sure you clean off any old dried glue residue before applying the new stuff.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #43,637 of 63,917
Do not use super glue, or you will royally screw up your drivers. Super Glue gives off gas fumes as it cures, which will deposit on your drivers. It looks like a white crystalline haze.

Use a small amount of fast dry 2-part epoxy (preferably one made for metal, but the regular kind is OK).

Don’t use too much. A very thin layer is all you need, applied with a needle or toothpick. Make sure you clean off any old dried glue residue before applying the new stuff.

This is exactly why I asked! I knew you'd have a good answer. Anything I can pick up at Home Depot, etc that you know off-hand or recommend?

May 1, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #43,638 of 63,917
Slater I have Blue TRN IM1s (original version, has silver face plate). One side has an edge slightly lifting so its a matter of time before it bails out.
Should I use the same 2 part goo to reattach it?

Can you provide a link, name etc, so I can get some in?

May 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #43,639 of 63,917
I'm not Slater but personally I like Loctite and JB Weld epoxies for repairing my 'phones. WhatEVER you do, do NOT use Gorilla Glue...for ANYTHING! That stuff foams and expands and just makes a HUGE mess in general. I'm surprised they even still sell that and that there hasn't been a massive class-action lawsuit by people who used Gorilla Glue and ruined various projects.

May 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #43,642 of 63,917
Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #43,645 of 63,917
the zs7 is warmer and more smoothed over/less sharp in the treble than other kz hybrids, so i could see them being described as "dark" by comparison; however because bass is tight and bloom-free they sound clear and unveiled, so maybe "dark and clean" is apt?

To the man staring at the sun, the moon and stars seem dark and distant :wink:

Very hard for me to see the Zs7 categorized as dark in any way unless referencing a direct comparison to Zs6.

May 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #43,647 of 63,917
Someone who really didn’t understand the engineering behind an IEM started a untrue controversy that the 2 BA drivers were “fake” drivers in the ZS5. It is completely untrue however.

Besides openly admitting that he did it for YouTube views, it was also suspected that he had some sort of affiliation with someone who worked at CA (who were angry that it stole the shell design of the CA Andromeda). Nothing was ever proven about that though, but the damage was already done and people to this day still reference that totally inaccurate rumor.

The ZS5 was always a quad driver. 2xDD and 2xBA. Always was and still is.

Wow, I should've read better those times then. Would've avoided buying ES4 and ZSN then :| No wonder it sounds way better than those two.

Thank you for enlightening me.

There’s complicated protocols of white noise, pink noise, different types of music that people with speakers use and a few people follow, but anymore I just plug it into my computer put the music on shuffle and leave it on for 100 hrs sometimes 150 if I’m feeling it...

Burned in for almost 100 (maybe more) and still it sounds just a little worse than the v1. :/

The problem lies exactly in the 8Khz region, they sound cheap and harsh (just like Sony XB series). And there's much less clarity in it too (forgive me for using layman's terms, don't know how to explain it better). Maybe the highs are a little less for my liking? v1 has almost nil sibilance while providing excellent clarity (with slight eq).

Bass is amazing though! 10/10 for bass.

But seriously, how much should I spend to get something that blows the ZS5 v1 out of the park? All I need is ZS7 bass, better imaging and a little more airy presentation!

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #43,648 of 63,917
Popped out my ZSNs today to check on them and noticed that the real reason of their immense success is not in delivering perfect sound but they deliver an audio experience which makes you love music. The listening makes me think about the song and not about this zone is boosted or that's out of balance. Probably they serve the purpose which earphones are meant to serve.

May 1, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #43,649 of 63,917
Popped out my ZSNs today to check on them and noticed that the real reason of their immense success is not in delivering perfect sound but they deliver an audio experience which makes you love music. The listening makes me think about the song and not about this zone is boosted or that's out of balance. Probably they serve the purpose which earphones are meant to serve.

...and that is all I care about. I do love the ZSNs... and others:)

May 1, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #43,650 of 63,917
I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same about my ZS7 and I think the CA4 might end up being the same. We can appreciate accuracy and technological excellence but as you say, it's the music that is important!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back