Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #43,276 of 63,916
That is very detailed.
I think i'm ordering one or two pairs of em in order to try doing something like this.
I have to ask if my father has got a micro-soldering unit so i can make it easier.
You're always kind!
Thanks a lot!

You’re welcome friend.

Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted with your progress!

P.S. I forgot to mention...when you’re pulling apart the shells it’s a tricky balancing act. You have to pull apart the shells with enough force to pop them apart, but the instant they loosen you have to dial back the force or you will rip the wires right off the driver. This is easier said than done, especially when you are prying and twisting with all your might using 2 giant pairs of channel lock pliers.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #43,277 of 63,916
i am truly envious of your skills--the foregoing epitomizes the difference between someone who can actually build something and someone like myself, who struggles to change batteries on the tv remote. on a certain level, it seems like overkill for a $3 iem (like putting a mercedes grill on an old vw), but that's probably just my jealousy.

I totally get what you’re saying, and on the surface it does seem like a waste of time.

However, the main reason I did it was for practice before moving onto the real thing.

So in your example, if I’ve never done it in my life, I would rather practice my skills putting a few grilles on a few beat up VWs before I moved onto putting a grille on a $200k TOTL Mercedes. I wouldn’t start with the high end Mercedes.

Likewise, back in the day when I was a bench jeweler, while I was first learning how to set diamonds and gemstones I practiced on piles of $0.10 cubic zirconias and other scrap jewelry that was destined to be melted down anyways. I chipped and broke many of them in the process before I finally perfected my techniques. But it was no problem because they were $0.10 here or $2 there. Then and only then did I have the confidence to move onto setting a $40k diamond without chipping or breaking it :wink:

When you learn how to weld, you weld on nothing but scrap metal until your skills are better.

I guess it’s the same as any skill really. Or at least that pertains to someone like me. I’m not one of those types that can just try something for the 1st time I’ve never done and be expert level. There are those types of people out there though!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #43,278 of 63,916
I think there's been a tiny little misconception here on what type kz cables fits flush on the CCA C10. I remember asking the question some time ago and I was told "type A". I ordered one and the transparent plastic portion sticks out. Not that it doesn't work. It works fine and it's quite stable too, just doesn't fit flush like the type B cable would.

Just to be clear now; The type B cable fits flush on the C10 and as slater has said, yes, both cables are 0.75mm.
Yes, type B fits it perfectly flush! :wink:

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #43,280 of 63,916
Can anyone compare ZSN/ZSN Pro to ZS7?

Dunno if i'm still in time but..
i've received my ZSN Pro and i have the ZS7 as well.
I can say the ZS7 is warmer, more technical with a better bass and sub-bass response.
If you're looking for the best low end response between the two, zs7 is the way. Consider the ZSN Pro can be bought at half the price of the ZS7 sounding way good in any case.
ZS7 is more technical, this is my 2$.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #43,281 of 63,916
I totally get what you’re saying, and on the surface it does seem like a waste of time.

However, the main reason I did it was for practice before moving onto the real thing.

So in your example, if I’ve never done it in my life, I would rather practice my skills putting a few grilles on a few beat up VWs before I moved onto putting a grille on a $200k TOTL Mercedes. I wouldn’t start with the high end Mercedes.

Likewise, back in the day when I was a bench jeweler, while I was first learning how to set diamonds and gemstones I practiced on piles of $0.10 cubic zirconias and other scrap jewelry that was destined to be melted down anyways. I chipped and broke many of them in the process before I finally perfected my techniques. But it was no problem because they were $0.10 here or $2 there. Then and only then did I have the confidence to move onto setting a $40k diamond without chipping or breaking it :wink:

When you learn how to weld, you weld on nothing but scrap metal until your skills are better.

I guess it’s the same as any skill really. Or at least that pertains to someone like me. I’m not one of those types that can just try something for the 1st time I’ve never done and be expert level. There are those types of people out there though!
Dunno if i'm still in time but..
i've received my ZSN Pro and i have the ZS7 as well.
I can say the ZS7 is warmer, more technical with a better bass and sub-bass response.
If you're looking for the best low end response between the two, zs7 is the way. Consider the ZSN Pro can be bought at half the price of the ZS7 sounding way good in any case.
ZS7 is more technical, this is my 2$.

https://www.paperboyaustin.com/
https://m.yelp.com/biz/paperboy-austin

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #43,282 of 63,916
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #43,283 of 63,916
my C10 new look
20190419_185243.jpg
im digging how it look, but if im being honest i cam't for the life of me notice any difference in sound quality.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #43,284 of 63,916
im digging how it look, but if im being honest i cam't for the life of me notice any difference in sound quality

I have never personally noticed a sound difference with cables. I only change cables for aesthetic or ergonomic reasons...or if I want a balanced cable.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #43,285 of 63,916
my C10 new look

im digging how it look, but if im being honest i cam't for the life of me notice any difference in sound quality.

I have never personally noticed a sound difference with cables. I only change cables for aesthetic or ergonomic reasons...or if I want a balanced cable.

Its mostly in the sound levels with cables used.

On the AS10, the original KZ cable measured about 0.7 Ohm. I changed to a NiceHCK 8-core cable that measured 0.11 Ohms.
To my ears, the tonality of the earphones certainly didn't alter significantly to be discernible. But if I set the volume to very low levels ( both at 15/70 on my LG G6 Quad DAC) , I was picking up some details that I previously couldn't . However, once I upped the volume to my normal listening levels (20~22/70), they both sounded the same.

My conclusion from that was the original KZ cable was attenuating some very low level signals due to the higher resistance rating.

I certainly haven't discerned any tonal changes in the earphones from changing of cables despite the distinctly different resistance levels of the 2 cables I used. How people conclude that they can is beyond me though.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #43,286 of 63,916
my C10 new look

You do not hear slightly more accentuated highs? Opened-up bass and the mid-bass subdued nicely? Soundstage slightly expanding for definitely more overall enjoyable listening experience?!:wink:

Me too!
But we can always use our imagination :)

Very nice look - gold & silver - magnificent!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #43,287 of 63,916
KZ has released a new upgrade cable. 8 core gold and silver plated mixed cable. Lol.. Yes, gold plated. Anyways, from the pictures it seems to be a lot thicker than the initial copper silver mixed cable and I think same thickness as the Trn 8 core cables.

Also with added support for C type ZSN, ZSN pro and ZS10 pro connectors. But no type A support. Not yet at least.

Available only in gold colour for now. I really hope they make a black, silver colour variant like the Trn or just anything dark.

Link: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/wIncm0s

This link goes to the home page and not the product page. :lemon:

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #43,288 of 63,916
This link goes to the home page and not the product page. :lemon:

People keep posting those mobile links but they never work for me on my PC or on my tablet. I guess they work for those using their phone but I don't use a phone to access headfi. Need a proper keyboard to type.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #43,290 of 63,916
Hello,

I have probably around 10 kz earphones there one earpiece is dead. have anyone tried to replace the cable? how hard is it? what do i need do to it?

Thanks!

What model KZ is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back