Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 10, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #41,702 of 63,917
Hi, I have the CCA C10. My first iem's, so not to much to compare with, anywise, they sound quite good. I try the starline tips and not one of them fit into my ear canal, they pop up rigt away (little tiny ears).
I'm looking the t400 (4.9mm) small size (10.6mm) that Dsnuts mention but not sure if they fit well in the CCA (or if they'll fit into my ear.. not much to do until I put them).

For now I got an unknown tip (came with the phone.. don't remember which one) fits right but I think I can get something better (also they will not last forever).

Like you see the unknown tip is quite shorter than the starline (both small size).

IMG_20190210_234505.jpg
IMG_20190210_234541.jpg

And much wider too (this is good or a bad thing?)

IMG_20190210_234608.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #41,703 of 63,917
BTW, here is my progress on the solution to the "green cable" problem.

Below is a pair of KZ 8 core cables generously donated by @Podster. It's hard to tell from the photos (poor lighting), but both cables were minty green with oxidation before I started. However, as you can see, 1 of the cables is now black.

In theory literally any color can be done - red, blue, green, yellow, purple, brown, pink, etc. It's even possible to do multi-colored, such as the section below the y-split in black and the section above the y-split in green. Or the R cable section above the y-split in red, and the L cable section above the y-split in blue! Picture how awesome a red cable would look with a red ZS6. Or a green cable with green ZSR. The possibilities are endless :)

The color is chemically bonded directly to the outside of the cable using a special industrial solvent dying process (it is NOT spray paint, fabric dye, food coloring, etc). The color is 100% permanent, and will NOT peel, chip, or rub off in any way. The jacks and inner copper conductor are totally unaffected, and there is no change with impedance or sound in any way. The cable, including the insulation, is undamaged. This process has no negative effects.

I have a few more tests to run, but so far I am very happy with the results. This is going to be a great option for cables that have ugly green oxidation, but are otherwise perfectly functional. Since some people are throwing their cables away when they turn green, this option will save money (from having to buy new cables) and keep the oxidized cables out of the landfill :)

Unfortunately, not every cable can be colored in this manner. The KZ 4-core silver upgrade cable (which had also oxidized green) did not turn out as good as the above 8-core cable. This is because the 4-core KZ silver cable uses 2 totally different types of wire insulation (1 type of insulation below the y-split, and a different type of insulation above the y-split)! The section of cable below the y-split turned out perfectly, and looks exactly like the above black 8-core cable. However, the upper section (above the y-split) turned out with a similar color as the KZ 'iron grey' upgrade cable (a translucent brownish grey). Obviously the upper section of the wire (above the y-split) isn't fully compatible with my process. Despite the 4-core cable being kind of a 2-tone color scheme, the end result still looks better than the mint-green oxidized cable I started out with.

I don't yet know what other cables this method works on yet (ie the silver plated 4-core TRN cable, the new 8-core cables from KZ and TRN, etc). That's 1 of the things I hope to test in the coming days.

I also need to figure out how to scale it down so people can do 1-2 cables themselves. As it stands now, I had to buy enough material to do like 1,000 cables haha. It's like a woman who wants to paint her fingernails or toenails with red nail polish, but has to buy 5 gallons at a time!

Anyways, I'll keep everyone posted with the progress.

I wanted to provide an update on this project.

I made a significant breakthrough tonight, and have perfected a scaled down method that can be done easily and cheaply. No expensive industrial dyes to source, and no ending up with enough dye to do 1,000 cables. Just a few simple items that you can buy at 2 local stores, and a few minutes of your time.

I am working on writing the How2 right now. It will be an easy step-by-step guide that most anyone can follow.

Here’s a sneak peek for your viewing pleasure...

"Gold" ie yellow cable:
17AD3483-F1E4-40DB-B9DB-FE8C364A33BC.jpeg

Sexy blue cable for ZS7:
1597B012-8135-4913-B7DF-ED48DC17C8CD.jpeg

The trio I've done so far:
ED4D989A-A5D1-4CCB-971A-96ED57A7E5E9.jpeg

FYI, my method is based on the same method that professional cable manufacturers use to dye cables. They just do it on a larger scale and with different chemicals (ie the same basic way I originally did my 1st black cable).

Here’s my DIY dyed cable (bottom left) next to 2 other “professional” cables that were industrially dyed. Note that the TRN bi-color cable on the right is dyed yellow before it's braided with the clear silver plated wires, hence why it looks a little different (lighter) than the other 2:

C8FC2027-C751-466F-A6EE-8143DF8D7008.jpeg

What colors will you be able to use? How about any of these (and even more colors which I don't own). You can even mix them to make custom colors. The sky is the limit.

C321E833-A67E-4751-89C8-C49ABED28C17.jpeg

Update - I just did 2 more (TRN 8-wire cables, instead of the KZ cables used previously).

Before (stock 50% black and 50% silver):
A9E8CB3B-F901-41D4-8A67-F541292B8DAE.jpeg

After (50% black and 50% ‘gold plated’):
98346D4E-E94A-483A-B518-0C054317E946.jpeg

Before (stock 50% yellow and 50% silver):
8D93EF76-B513-4233-88F0-D4A958DF47FA.jpeg

After (100% deep yellow):
DD1B21E0-A9BB-4107-A639-9C1496696ABD.jpeg

As you can see from the below photo, you can adjust the intensity of the color. For both of the TRN cables, I used the same exact dye, but I varied the color from a ‘gold plated’ look on the left to an ‘intense yellow’ look on the right.
BFC2DA12-7746-4D17-A4A7-74BB1B47FECA.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #41,704 of 63,917
When is the next major Aliexpress sale? I can wait until 11/11 if I have to. :wink:

It will give me time to give you updates on what I already own. It took me a year after purchase to start listening to the ES4 and ED16.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #41,705 of 63,917
When is the next major Aliexpress sale? I can wait until 11/11 if I have to. :wink:

It will give me time to give you updates on what I already own. It took me a year after purchase to start listening to the ES4 and ED16.

The next bonkers sale is the Anniversary sale. It’s usually around the end of March.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #41,706 of 63,917
Hi, I have the CCA C10. My first iem's, so not to much to compare with, anywise, they sound quite good. I try the starline tips and not one of them fit into my ear canal, they pop up rigt away (little tiny ears).
I'm looking the t400 (4.9mm) small size (10.6mm) that Dsnuts mention but not sure if they fit well in the CCA (or if they'll fit into my ear.. not much to do until I put them).

For now I got an unknown tip (came with the phone.. don't remember which one) fits right but I think I can get something better (also they will not last forever).

Like you see the unknown tip is quite shorter than the starline (both small size).

Since you mentioned that these are your first IEM's...did you try wrapping the wires around your ears so that the ear tips won't pop out? This usually gives them a firm fit and keeps them from popping out from your inner ear.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #41,707 of 63,917

The Small T400 is longer than your unknown tip.

9.6mm Top O.D. (top of the 'taper', just before it rounds over.)
11mm Base O.D.
10.5mm Length

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #41,708 of 63,917

I think that's a good thing. I use Spiral Dots which are quite short and have a wide bore. They sound great and give a good seal.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #41,710 of 63,917
Since you mentioned that these are your first IEM's...did you try wrapping the wires around your ears so that the ear tips won't pop out? This usually gives them a firm fit and keeps them from popping out from your inner ear.

jejeje.. Yes 1clearhead! the earhook gives you a good clue, hard to put it in other way.

The Small T400 is longer than your unknown tip.

9.6mm Top O.D. (top of the 'taper', just before it rounds over.)
11mm Base O.D.
10.5mm Length

I'm gonna compare the mesures, looks bigger but maybe the foam adapts to my ear canal.

I think that's a good thing. I use Spiral Dots which are quite short and have a wide bore. They sound great and give a good seal.

Yes I hear about these.. a pair cost almost the same as the iem! (but are flat, pretty like my unknown tip so maybe..)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #41,711 of 63,917
jejeje.. Yes 1clearhead! the earhook gives you a good clue, hard to put it in other way.

You’d be surprised what some people do

A3D29822-46A9-4289-8182-B11FC03DC9B4.jpeg 9EC0957D-8CAF-4AC1-B863-6C9B1E1DA963.jpeg
A278318F-C12F-4D53-9B47-A43C273465F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back