Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #41,236 of 63,844
That`s not always the problem and when it becomes loose, then You can just slightly bend 0.75 pins to create "holding pressure" and it`s totally ok again.

I've found this trick to work sometimes but not 100% so I am a bit hesitant to say it always works. On some it seems the distance between "falling off loose" and "too bent to fit" is a so small you have almost no chance to hit the window.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #41,237 of 63,844
That`s not always the problem and when it becomes loose, then You can just slightly bend 0.75 pins to create "holding pressure" and it`s totally ok again.

You can also tin the cable pins with a small amount of solder. It adds just enough thickness that it fits tightly without the need to bend the pins.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #41,238 of 63,844
Duly noted, thanks. The tidbit about the session being recorded in a church with the band circled around a lone microphone with no mixing, overdubbing or editing sold me. What is more intriguing is their supposed alternative take on classic folk, rock and country songs. I'll look for this album. :smile_phones:

Great album. Got it back on its release in the 80s, on vinyl. Unfortunately, currently don't have access to my records...

Shall have to add it to Spotify lists.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #41,240 of 63,844
Jan 26, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #41,241 of 63,844
You can also tin the cable pins with a small amount of solder. It adds just enough thickness that it fits tightly without the need to bend the pins.

That's a great thought, I'd never considered that, but it is also entirely reversible with a little heat should you need to.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #41,242 of 63,844
Is there a kz that's awesome for black/death/doom metal?

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #41,244 of 63,844
Is there a kz that's awesome for black/death/doom metal?
I liked the ZSN, but then CCA C10(KZ sister company) came out and while the bass isn't as fast and is slightly more elevated then ZSN, the mids and the treble are a bit more smoother and refined while keeping most of the energy of the ZSN. Also Stage, separation and details are markedly improved over ZSN. I personally enjoy metal just fine with both.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #41,245 of 63,844
That's the main problem I have with painted metal earphones. My Nuforce HEM1 and EDC since they are (durable) plastic I handle them them without any care having them dangle, bang into each other or tables. Meanwhile I handle my ZS6 and ZS7 like I'm carrying quail eggs.

Yeah.. I've been trying to handle them a lot more carefully but I accidentally dropped them again. This time it was both pieces. A day later and I think something's off. I'm not sure if it's the ZS6's themselves, they sound more sibilant now and some parts of the spectrum sound distorted. Plus separation and imaging, I'm trying not to imagine it's any different but it is at least slightly.... I only really noticed the difference in sound after I dropped my phone with the ZS6 cable still attached. Are my ZS6's damaged or is the sibilance something I should expect during burn-in..?

TL;DR: I dropped the ZS6's. They sound a bit distorted and a little sibilant with the separation taking a bit of a hit. Did I screw them up?

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #41,246 of 63,844
Yeah.. I've been trying to handle them a lot more carefully but I accidentally dropped them again. This time it was both pieces. A day later and I think something's off. I'm not sure if it's the ZS6's themselves, they sound more sibilant now and some parts of the spectrum sound distorted. Plus separation and imaging, I'm trying not to imagine it's any different but it is at least slightly.... I only really noticed the difference in sound after I dropped my phone with the ZS6 cable still attached. Are my ZS6's damaged or is the sibilance something I should expect during burn-in..?

TL;DR: I dropped the ZS6's. They sound a bit distorted and a little sibilant with the separation taking a bit of a hit. Did I screw them up?

Yup, you've damaged balanced armature(s). Sometimes, this can get fixed on its own after a couple of hours but most of the time it's damaged for good. Given that it's very noticeable in your case, I wouldn't hold my hopes up..

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #41,247 of 63,844
Absolutely love my KZ ZSN, very balanced and the fit is perfect.Got the all black version.Compared to the ED16 I like the ZSN a lot better.Haven't had a lot of time with them (just got Koss ksc 75's which have gotten the most use, can't take them off ), but what I have heard has been great.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #41,249 of 63,844
Yup, you've damaged balanced armature(s). Sometimes, this can get fixed on its own after a couple of hours but most of the time it's damaged for good. Given that it's very noticeable in your case, I wouldn't hold my hopes up..

Damn it, I was really liking this pair. I have been playing pink noise on low volumes and that seemed to open up the sound and soften the sibilance. Closer to how it was but still sibilant in comparison. If there's even a chance of the balanced armatures repairing themselves through pink noise.. Should I lower the volume even more or raise it?

On another note, I really noticed the sibilance after I dropped the phone with the ZS6's cable attached. I only dropped the phone, I had the ZS6's in my hand. How easy would it be to damage a phone's amp or dac? I mean, the sound when I plug them into my computer isn't as sibilant as on the phone. Unfortunately, I can't 100% verify that my phone's at fault since I don't have a reference point since I didn't listen to these connected to the computer as much.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #41,250 of 63,844
Damn it, I was really liking this pair. I have been playing pink noise on low volumes and that seemed to open up the sound and soften the sibilance. Closer to how it was but still sibilant in comparison. If there's even a chance of the balanced armatures repairing themselves through pink noise.. Should I lower the volume even more or raise it?

On another note, I really noticed the sibilance after I dropped the phone with the ZS6's cable attached. I only dropped the phone, I had the ZS6's in my hand. How easy would it be to damage a phone's amp or dac? I mean, the sound when I plug them into my computer isn't as sibilant as on the phone. Unfortunately, I can't 100% verify that my phone's at fault since I don't have a reference point since I didn't listen to these connected to the computer as much.

That really sucks friend.

Yeah, IEMs with BA drivers really don’t like to be dropped. The BAs are fragile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back