Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #39,376 of 64,379
I'm in a quandary.

I had just sprung a godly amount for a heavy duty KitchenAid (been putting it through its paces and I'm eating the results right now—verdict: Wonderful!) but then a while ago I happened to glance at the cyan AS10 in my Lazada cart and it's being sold for the equivalent of ~US $36.37 for the current 12.12 sale. With my remaining 12% discount voucher it gets knocked down to ~$32.00 plus $2.29 shipping fee.

All I need to do is order 1 more item, like a set of 5 pairs of foam tips (~$2.30) and I get free shipping.
IMG_5817.jpg

Now the husband and I agreed we'll each spend on only 1 item for ourselves this December and no extras on the side, but temptation is cruel.

I've been trying to look for ways to convince myself the AS10 won't be a comfortable fit for my ears but then that voice at the back of my head keeps saying it is.

Oh my..! :shrug: :person_frowning: :face_palm:

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #39,377 of 64,379
Does anyone feel let down by AS06? After all that teqsing they just look like watered down AS10s. Maybe the first impressions will prove me wrong but those specs aren't tempting at all especially when one can buy AS10s by adding slightly more.

uh, no? since from the beginning and even the name is literally to imply that its a lower model compared to AS10? 10 is bigger than 6, unless my maths is wrong.

also Doc's post is also exactly why I was waiting for this model. One BA responsible for each low, mids and highs, now that's what I want to see.

the price was a bit of letdown, since I expected RRP of usd$30. Though that does mean instead of another instant purchase, I'll have to wait for both more sellers and impressions to come out.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #39,378 of 64,379
Yeah, it's only a year old. Works great.

Has 128GB, I paid $249 (NIB), supports the latest iOS, has a 3.5mm jack, guts of a 6S, great battery life, and it's perfectly pocket-able. Does everything I need it to do, at a down-to-earth price. It's a huge improvement over my previous phone (HTC Droid Incredible I used for 7 years).

It's also the same model as my daughter's. So if she loses or breaks hers, I give her mine and daddy gets a nice new phone. That's honestly the primary reason I'm using an SE.

And so this stays on topic, I love the fact it still has a 3.5mm jack so I can listen to those sweet sweet KZ IEMs like the ZSN!

But it has a poor quality sound no ? Have you try lightning cable kz ?

The audio is fine with me. The SE actually has respectable audio specs if you look it up. Super low impedance too, which pairs well with even my most sensitive IEMs.

I have a dedicated DAP for serious listening. The SE is primarily for bluetooth.

I have not tried the lightning KZ cable. Despite it being able to work on the SE, I just assumed that was primarily designed for newer models that don't have the 3.5mm jack.

The SE works great with everything I've thrown at it, including all KZ models I own.
Echo this.

The innards of an iPhone 6S crammed into the body of an iPhone 5. The last of the iPhones with the 3.5 mm analog audio jack. Actually better measured performance insofar as signal above noise and distortion are concerned, than most other phones, actually tested and confirmed. As for the 6S, under real-world conditions, too.

And yes, sounds phenomenal when listening to the ZSN with EQ off.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #39,379 of 64,379
uh, no? since from the beginning and even the name is literally to imply that its a lower model compared to AS10? 10 is bigger than 6, unless my maths is wrong.

also Doc's post is also exactly why I was waiting for this model. One BA responsible for each low, mids and highs, now that's what I want to see.

the price was a bit of letdown, since I expected RRP of usd$30. Though that does mean instead of another instant purchase, I'll have to wait for both more sellers and impressions to come out.
Completely agree there. Will wait for initial impressions and who knows KZ may launch a model which will undercut AS06

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #39,380 of 64,379
Hey! Stop making fun of Slater! I was just listening to music on a KZ ATR yesterday! Make fun of me! Spare him!
Be careful...you don't know the legend of Slater.
You must never say his name three posts in a row or he appears suddenly in your house, they say he has teeeeny tiny screwdrivers for fingers and he maniacally will begin disassembling all your headphones and reconfigure them...he makes your closed backs into open backs, he shoots laser glue out of his eyes....
that's what they say anyway....

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #39,381 of 64,379
Be careful...you don't know the legend of Slater.
You must never say his name three posts in a row or he appears suddenly in your house, they say he has teeeeny tiny screwdrivers for fingers and he maniacally will begin disassembling all your headphones and reconfigure them...he makes your closed backs into open backs, he shoots laser glue out of his eyes....
that's what they say anyway....

I've never been brave enough or get my hands dirty with intense audio gear DIY, but I do respect the wonders they can work. So to the thought of having the venerable Slader ransack my audio collection and tune my gear for better soundstage, I say: "Sure, come on in! Do to my gear what I could never bring myself to do... but leave the Superlux HD668B alone even if you know how to mod 'em." :p

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #39,382 of 64,379
hang on...you're still on an Iphone SE?!
Dude...I have a ZTE Axon that I bought directly from China...it's over 2 years old...
I don't even know what an "iphone SE" means lol, I just figured it would be funny to poop on WHATEVER phone you happen to have.
LOL... I have LG P500 "optimus one" from 2010 and still going strong. Looks like new.
Mind though, I only use it for calling, sms and GPS (iGO). For music there is only DX5X.

Sorry for OT.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #39,383 of 64,379
Hey guys,

Been a lurker for awhile and planning on ordering 1-2 cheap pairs. Do all KZ headphones include the Starline tips, or just certain models? Also, if anyone knows a site just for the tips that would be helpful, as I'm debating getting a different pair but I want to try them with these tips.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #39,384 of 64,379
Hey guys,

Been a lurker for awhile and planning on ordering 1-2 cheap pairs. Do all KZ headphones include the Starline tips, or just certain models? Also, if anyone knows a site just for the tips that would be helpful, as I'm debating getting a different pair but I want to try them with these tips.

Try this one: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/252969823455
I remember ordering those a year or two ago and still have leftovers, seem to be the same as supplied with some KZs (ZST if i recall correctly). For some reason I do have some grey and black starlines, they feel the same though.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #39,385 of 64,379
Try this one: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/252969823455
I remember ordering those a year or two ago and still have leftovers, seem to be the same as supplied with some KZs (ZST if i recall correctly). For some reason I do have some grey and black starlines, they feel the same though.
Just so you know, those cheap starlines on Ebay don't stretch and they're a bitch to put on.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #39,386 of 64,379
Just so you know, those cheap starlines on Ebay don't stretch and they're a bitch to put on.

I've been using those succesfully on most of my IEMs. For me they stretch just fine and I've put them on nozzles up to 6mm (sometimes with a bit of effort). I remember when I got them I compared them directly with the starlines I gotten with one of my KZs and iirc I couldnt really tell a difference (no way to tell them apart now). Might be wrong tho.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #39,387 of 64,379
Wow... my lucky orders just ended. Instead another ZSN I got 3 pairs of cheap colorful-glassed plastic sunglasses! COOL... not! -.-
Bought from gearbest. Hopefully they will send another one.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #39,388 of 64,379
My AS10s arrived and I really like them! Great detail, isolation and powerful bass. I ordered them with the standard cables (intending to replace them) but they're much nicer than I was expecting. Is there anyway I can get the mic version on it's own? or a similar cable with volume control? That's the only sticking point that's stopping them 100% becoming my daily drivers

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #39,389 of 64,379
Are KZ IEMs (primarily) designed to be used with mobile phones ?
Or with DAPs (maybe with amp)/Computers/whatever ?

Or, does the source not really matter (when designing the IEM).

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #39,390 of 64,379
as you said yourself, its a KZ thread. There's the sub-100 chi fi thread, main chi-fi thread and now the discovery thread (slowly turning into chi-fi thread too), not to mention the new NiceHCK and BQEYZ thread.

There's too many brands out there to reliable compare and wait for reviews for. Plus the added stigma of "KZ hype" is gonna cloud whatever comparison made. Its reaching of point of KZ=Beats, or something.
True, I guess quick comparisons would be a good fit still though. Like if all the chatter was only about KZ and no one talked about well so and so model at this company is over all better but this KZ definitely much better in this aspect, etc.

I mean this KZ forum isn't as active as others. Headfi was also more active with the old forum vs the new, it was just easier and more pleasant to use. It was a true addiction. Now a days, it's not that addicting, it's more about the quality of communication like the type that always pops up in this thread with the high quality members using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back