1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Dobrescu George
    I agree, I can't point to anything specific better at this price point. Also, agreed, for a really cheap thorwaround IEM, they're nice. Consider wearing them when it is raining outside and you don't want to risk your good headphones :)

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  2. loomisjohnson
    20181211_092651[1].jpg
    see attached--note clear plastic at .75mm connectors. the cable is kevlar perhaps?

3. BadReligionPunk
    Interesting you say the bass is slow and can't keep up with technical death metal ect.
    That's a lot of what I listen to and I would say that the bass is faster and more precise then any other IEM, I have heard.(OK, maybe not but hyperbole is fun sometimes)

Back when I initially got them I posted a bass test track that I use that uses mid bass at 150bpm with subbass hits coming in every measure, while a baseline bops along covering the Midbass, while dipping down into the subbass. All of that going at breakneck speed, and the ZSN handles it all with perfect spot on detail. 6 in 1 comes closest to matching, but everything else just congeals together into a muddy mess of rumble with no bass definition.

Maybe something is wrong with yours? Maybe comparing to more expensive, audiophile grade neutral balanced iems, and using a bit of hyperbole?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    CoiL, SybilLance, nicksson and 2 others like this.
  4. loomisjohnson
    thus far i have a higher opinion than dobrescu of the zsn, but i agree with him that the subbass does wobble a bit--however when i switched to comply it did tighten considerably. granted, i did not test these with death metal--my test tracks were pharoah sanders, wooden shjps (neo psychedelia) + the lemonheads "old man blank," which is a fantastic cover of an obscure bevis frond song and should be listened to obsessively.

5. Dobrescu George
    What IEMs are you coming from?

I am mostly comparing them to ~50 - 100 USD IEMs, since I don't really have many other 20 - 25 USD IEMs on hand. Of course, for this price, I haven't heard better either, and will do nice enough, but with Technical Death Metal, I find the bass to be a bit like glue, a bit sticky.

Of course, being objecive, for ~20 USD, I am complaining too much, I should just be happy they play music and have their overall characteristics so good, best I've heard for this price range for sure :)

ShakyJake and BadReligionPunk like this.
  6. voicemaster
    Maybe you got a bad pair? If you have channel imbalances then the more likely it's bad is greater.
    Oh and I did search "technical death metal" on youtube and yeah...not my kinda music :sweat_smile: all I hear is dudududududdududududududududududud and a dude with sore throat xD. (this is just a joke)

7. BadReligionPunk
    Yes. Just looking for context. A kid a week or so ago was coming from hd600(i believe) and loved how warm and lush the ZSN was. Warm and lush is not how I would describe them, but since I knew where he was coming from, I could buy into it.

Just want to make sure we are not posting first impressions of a new minivan, after driving around in a bunch of sportscars.

Anyway, thanks for your impressions George.

Dobrescu George and rayliam80 like this.
  8. BadReligionPunk
    Yea, it's an acquired taste for sure. Some of it is very pretentious and overly rediculous, some of it can be beautiful. Vocals aside, try this on if you feel like it. One of my favorite albums.

Danfish98 likes this.
  9. DocHoliday
    Speed, agility, separation, layering and imaging:
    (listen for the snap and definition of each hit on each drum piece)

Now for a polar opposite.

Low end texture, midrange texture, air and sibilance (even these soft vocals should still be just AHEAD of a gentle but defined bass line):

CoiL, SybilLance and BadReligionPunk like this.
  10. Slater
    Unfortunately I don't have the ZSA (even though I've always kinda wanted it since it looks like a baby ZS6).

1clearhead likes this.
  11. voicemaster
    I love the 2nd song. Does nightwish considered metal?

DocHoliday likes this.
  12. nicksson
    Mr. Dobre Georgescu, it looks like your ZSN is a bit defective. Did it fall out of your hands, on concrete? Did you hit it with the hammer? :yum:
    Mine is different...

13. Zerohour88
    there's probably nothing wrong with his unit, its all about perspective (the analogy above about reviewing minivans after driving supercars is apt).

Its hard to go down to a lower tier after experiencing the higher echelon of IEMs, even past $200 makes quite a difference.

14. BadReligionPunk
    I have one with about 7 hours on em. I just don't like them. Sound signature and fitment is no beuno for me. I also have to get rid of some stuff to make wife happy. Cover shipping and they yours.

15. voicemaster
    Tbh, my zsn and as10 stomp all over my jh roxanne v1 ($1400). Maybe I got a bad pair but mine is a sibilance monsterh; has adjustable bass, but sadly only increase mid bass which make the sound muddy as hell; this thing is a monster (as10is puny compared to this monster), my ear will start hurting after 30 min of use; the cable while good, but heavy af. The only good thing is the separation, layering (which to be expected as this thing has 12 drivers per side) and the metal case.
    What I mean is not every "high end" or more expensive stuff are better. Some bad and some good.

s8grave, ShakyJake, PhonoPhi and 4 others like this.