Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #37,786 of 64,228
I actually spent a couple hours with the ED10 last night. Was going through my box of iems to listen to some of my old favs like the Dubliz Enhanced, TFZ Series 5, Light T2, and a couple others. ED10 was the only one to remain in the ears for more than a song or two. It's been at the top of my KZ list for a long time, and for good reason. Love that thing and am still bummed it was discontinued.

These posts about the ED10 caused me to search for it but I had no luck. I was wondering though if it is the same as the QKZ DM7 which we do have in the house.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...ound-quality-Music-headphones/2019520112.html

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #37,787 of 64,228
These posts about the ED10 caused me to search for it but I had no luck. I was wondering though if it is the same as the QKZ DM7 which we do have in the house.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...ound-quality-Music-headphones/2019520112.html

I bought the DM7 when it first came out hoping it would be the same. Imo it kinda sucks. Average generic bassy earphone. Nowhere close to the ED10. Gave mine away. Looked good though and the cable is a major improvement over the ED10s.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #37,788 of 64,228
I bought the DM7 when it first came out hoping it would be the same. Imo it kinda sucks. Average generic bassy earphone. Nowhere close to the ED10. Gave mine away. Looked good though and the cable is a major improvement over the ED10s.

Thanks for the info. So now I still need to try to find the ED10. I won't bother to listen to the DM7 that is here... not mine anyway.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #37,789 of 64,228

Probably the only way to obtain a pair is if someone who prefers a much different sound signature trades their ED10 for something more to their preference. I can't imagine trading mine but I do remember way back in 2015 that those with a preference for a warmer sound signature seemed to gravitate towards something like the ED3 "Acme" or ED8 (early metal KZ's). Incidentally, the first of the two links below will give you a good description of the ED10 and ED8.

https://thecontraptionist.blog/2016...-place-to-begin-your-audiophile-journey-pt-2/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ed10-knowledge-zenith.22990/reviews#review-20081

Some of the first impressions of the ED8 started to trickle in in January of 2015.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/page-148#post-11204819

.......and here are some first impressions of the ED10 from Coil and a few others way back in September of 2015.

I would say ED9 with gold nozzles is bassier than ED10
rolleyes.gif
Was expecting much more V-shaped signature as impressions suggested but thay are actually quite well balanced. Well, maybe it is QC issue but my pair of ED10 sounds very good and definitely has less bass than ED9 with gold nozzles. But it has little more bass than ED9 with brass nozzles and also not so bright/fatiguing highs. ED10 soundstage width and separation in that direction is also better than ED9. Comfort is also lot better than ED9.
Unless You like to change nozzles and sound signature, I would have no reason to prefer ED9 over ED10 if I`d buy it again.

IMHSO

For those genres I would go with ED10 and it can also be worn over-ear.

Guys and Gals,

my ed10's arrived yesterday, and I've got to say, I am literally amazed by it's sound quality, like don't get me wrong, I've used good iem's before - some diy, some other chinese brands - vsonic, xiaomi, other KZ, QKZ, Mannhas, Moxpad, VJJC, havi and so on.

But these literally made me go "wow" while listening to them. I have some old school low quality music and it even made those tracks sound good. so far the highs don't sound too piercing (am very sensitive to highs) and the bass is strong but clean - it doesn't sound muffled if that makes sense.

Love the packaging as well - will probably be buying 4-5 sets to give away as presents.

and in terms of the other KZ ( which I've bought 80-90% of all of them) it whitewashes all of them. I mean the ED9's are good but these ED10's are next level when compared to the ED9's.

Good work KZ

Listening to the ED10 playing some Providence & Starless by King Crimson and it's not too shabby...not too shabby at all. The bass is fantastic for a $8.50 headphone
etysmile.gif
for $12.00 the ED9 with brass nozzles with stock filters in place dig deeper into the detail for me and my set-up ...

For me, when KZ releases something that is very, very good I don't quibble or dilly-dally, I just pick up several pair because KZ tends to move on to new offerings fairly quickly. Once they're gone they're gone but trades are always possible. Last week I traded a fantastic set of Winintones (currently reissued as the RockJaw Alfa Genus) that went out of production long ago so it is possible to obtain something that's out of production. I originally bought three sets of the Winintones so I still have two remaining sets.

10129998.jpg

There is a good YouTube video on the Alfa Genus but the Winintone bass digs so much deeper than the Alfa Genus, probably down to 15hz.

Love this hobby!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #37,790 of 64,228
1) How can you tell difference between ZS5 V1 & V2?
2) Hey what’s a good solid upgrade cable for them that fits the recessed socket well? A pin or B pin?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #37,792 of 64,228
I’m going to order a Tin audio T2, is there any Kz or other IEM that is better than T2 in your opinion?

Depends a lot what you're looking for, T2 is not perfect, but neither is anything else, KZ are far from perfect if you're looking for midrange, while T2 is not ideal if you're looking for a lot of bass :)

T2 does soundstage really well, while KZ does value and detail really well, but AS10, which is the best from KZ so far, is a little V-shaped, so if you're searching for a lot of voice, it is not vocals-focused

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #37,793 of 64,228
Depends a lot what you're looking for, T2 is not perfect, but neither is anything else, KZ are far from perfect if you're looking for midrange, while T2 is not ideal if you're looking for a lot of bass :)

T2 does soundstage really well, while KZ does value and detail really well, but AS10, which is the best from KZ so far, is a little V-shaped, so if you're searching for a lot of voice, it is not vocals-focused
I listen to many kinds of music, mostly pop, I want a sound as natural as possible, vocal and instrument can be heard seperately, just that. T2 is about $27 USD, it drops a lot from normal price, is it a good deal.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #37,794 of 64,228
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #37,796 of 64,228
I've spent the last three hours listening to several of my metal KZ's (ZS6, BA10, ZSA, ED8, ED9 & ED10) and I can tell you that all of them sound fantastic. I really should have pulled out the ED3 "Perfection" and HDS3 as well.

I was mostly surprised at how well the ED10 held up (forward treble, forward midrange with tight, deep and well-judged bass). I do hope that KZ revisits the ED10 sound signature because it is very engaging. A new KZ with a further refined ED10 sound signature, CNC aluminum housing and detachable cables would certainly grab my attention.

Again, props to Igor for the graph.

One of the tracks that I sampled with all of the aforementioned IEMs is.......

Every one of them handled the chimes (recurring @ 38 seconds) with differing degrees of sparkle with the ED8 displaying the least amount of shimmer and the ZS6 displaying the most. Each IEM has its own strengths but in general the metal housings contribute to a "clean" and detail-oriented presentation.......and yes that includes the ED8's presentation with its deep reaching bass.

Plastic housings would have ruined the ED8 sound signature but those metal alloy housings lend to their clarity. They were shipped with wide-bore Whirlwind eartips. The combination of wide-bore eartips and metal housings give them both air and a good sense of depth for a relatively warm sound signature . I like them. Alot.

The ED9 and ED10 rendered 'Til Tuesday's "Coming Up Close" with a great sense of presence and air.

Really looking forward to the up and coming ZS7. Let's hope KZ includes their new silver & copper cable with the all metal ZS7.

I definitely prefer metal housings over plastic. There is a definite difference in sound, in addition to the difference in quality.

I wonder if the designs like the ZSN are designed to be the best of both worlds? Lighter weight and more ergo housing, but with the metal rear cover tightening up the sound and unwanted reflections etc.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #37,797 of 64,228
I wonder if the designs like the ZSN are designed to be the best of both worlds? Lighter weight and more ergo housing, but with the metal rear cover tightening up the sound and unwanted reflections etc.
I think the metal backing is just to give the ZSN a nice looking ass. If you consider that the back...

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #37,798 of 64,228
I definitely prefer metal housings over plastic. There is a definite difference in sound, in addition to the difference in quality.

I think the metal backing is just to give the ZSN a nice looking ass. If you consider that the back...

I thought the silver part was meant to be cosmetic. I almost was not going to get it because of that metal plate.... you all know I wanted a jewel like purple one that was pure bright translucent purple. Without the silver plate, this would have been it! In the end I had to get it though because everyone kept raving about the sound. I hope to spend some quality time with mine tonight.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #37,799 of 64,228
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #37,800 of 64,228
yes, kz uses to listen to masses, reviews and forums. but they do at their own way.
we criticized the fake (supposedly) drivers in zs5 v1, and lack of crossover -> KZ changed the position of the buried BA, and added crossover (even deployed an entire line to show the crossover clearly: ES4, ZS10, AS10, which IMO is weird)
we discussed about the treble peak of ZS6/ZS5 v2 (due to the new position of the BA) -> all KZ models since then have big treble roll-off (which IMO is a pity).
some criticized lack of bass in ZS6/ZS5 v2 -> all KZ models since then have more bumped bass at different levels (which IMO, together with above change, make KZs too dark, less airy).
we criticized the low quality of stock cables -> KZ keeps providing low quality stock cables, but deploy new upgrade cables for KZs.

it's time they listen to our critics about recessed mids, bumped mid-bass, and highs roll-off. i.e., more balanced iems. guess they could do it by tubing the BAs (once they have all BA iems) and using some dampers, dunno. effort in general tuning. i know they will keep mid-bass hump (basshead "fun" audience is big), but hope improvements about recessed mids and highs roll-off.
i feel a bit tired of trying every new KZ model after the success of ZS6. after trying other signatures iems, same segment price (and others), i refuse to get BA10. perhaps would take ZSN because of the appealing look, but after seeing their advertised frequency response, i doubt it.

Interesting to know that.

I think they must launched a lot of iem for marketing and stay always front of the scene. We speak Everytime of kz with new iem and comparison.

I have zsn. Very near of zst but better speed and detail, more brilliant. Same sub bass and similar scene . I enjoy that because zst beginning "old" and have not enough detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back