Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #37,771 of 63,917
I’ll check mine when they arrive (due any day).

If they are wired like yours (with the single ground), I’ll just replace the 3.5mm plug. A small price to pay for the best $7 cable available!

Has anyone measured the KZ 8-core version yet?
i ordered it and it's in transit now. will measure it as soon as it arrives.

about trn 8c cable, i don't know what they've done, now.
2 cores should be used for each signal.
in the case of single TRS jack, it seems that only 1 core is used for left signal, and 3 cores used for left ground. so you'd have to re-solder not only into the jack, but also into the 2pins plug.
but in the case of TRRS, it's left+ signal vs right- signal! they are in different groups (4 cores to left driver, 4 cores to right driver). so i'm puzzled. i don't know what's happening then.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #37,772 of 63,917
What would be the problem? Also I have been using the trn 8 cores for the past couple of weeks. How do you check them? I have no qualms testing mine and posting results here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2518#post-14587913

the imbalance of 0.3ohms shouldn't be noticeable (less than 1dB, even less than 0.5dB). but i'd prefer not having 3x resistance in one signal respect the other one, specially in balanced signals. perfectionism?

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #37,774 of 63,917
I am using Spinfits with my ED16. That is always my last resort because they are more expensive than others... about $4 or $5 a pair from Aliexpress..
I wasn't getting a seal with my Zircon tips and ED16 so I went looking for the yellow Spinfits I've never used. I think I found them. They fit perfectly on the ed16! And, the sound is more technical at my first glance than the Zircon's. Cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #37,775 of 63,917
WOW! Hype train is real. Got my ZSN today, and I am in love.

Bass is fast and tight will good detail. Outstanding bass quality. Mids all up in your face with good vocal presence. Upper mids and treble are bright and a bit hairy. Very aggressive imo. No sibilance to my ears. Stage is small, but not to small. Things are not cluttered or congested. Fit is not as good for me as ZST. These nozzles are longer. Need to tip roll preferably softer tips. Listened with stock tips which are too hard. Weight is fine. Build quality is great. Price is effing ridiculous ($17). Very energetic and fun signature.

Wife said that every new phone that comes in means an old one must go. ZST is going to work to live as an emergency back of pair. :)
do you have ZSR to compare ZSN to?
if ZSN and ZSR have same signature, i will retire my ZSR

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #37,776 of 63,917
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #37,777 of 63,917
I've spent the last three hours listening to several of my metal KZ's (ZS6, BA10, ZSA, ED8, ED9 & ED10) and I can tell you that all of them sound fantastic. I really should have pulled out the ED3 "Perfection" and HDS3 as well.

I was mostly surprised at how well the ED10 held up (forward treble, forward midrange with tight, deep and well-judged bass). I do hope that KZ revisits the ED10 sound signature because it is very engaging. A new KZ with a further refined ED10 sound signature, CNC aluminum housing and detachable cables would certainly grab my attention.

10086761-1.jpg

ED10.fr.png

Again, props to Igor for the graph.

One of the tracks that I sampled with all of the aforementioned IEMs is.......

Every one of them handled the chimes (recurring @ 38 seconds) with differing degrees of sparkle with the ED8 displaying the least amount of shimmer and the ZS6 displaying the most. Each IEM has its own strengths but in general the metal housings contribute to a "clean" and detail-oriented presentation.......and yes that includes the ED8's presentation with its deep reaching bass.

Plastic housings would have ruined the ED8 sound signature but those metal alloy housings lend to their clarity. They were shipped with wide-bore Whirlwind eartips. The combination of wide-bore eartips and metal housings give them both air and a good sense of depth for a relatively warm sound signature . I like them. Alot.

The ED9 and ED10 rendered 'Til Tuesday's "Coming Up Close" with a great sense of presence and air.

Really looking forward to the up and coming ZS7. Let's hope KZ includes their new silver & copper cable with the all metal ZS7.

ZS7.jpg

9cfd6c5a-b24b-49b0-ae5b-df65ffce9a0e.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #37,778 of 63,917
I am using Spinfits with my ED16. That is always my last resort because they are more expensive than others... about $4 or $5 a pair from Aliexpress.

here is my list of KZs in alphabetical order

KZ ATR
KZ ED9 - black - with dull (not the shiny) filter
KZ ED16 - translucent black - with ZS6 copper braid cable
KZ ZS6 - green
KZ ZS10 - translucent red - TRN silver replacement cable
KZ ZSN - purple/silver
KZ ZSR - translucent green
KZ ZST - carbon-TRN black replacement cable

I would have a difficult time ranking them as I like them all. If I had to pick my least favorite it would be the ZST. At the moment my favorite would probably be the ED16, BUT the ZSN only arrived yesterday and I have had no time with it yet... only listened to a couple of songs to set volume level for burn in. I have been enjoying some new buds this week and was not quite ready to stop listening to those.

I am NOT using the original rubbery cables on any of my KZs that have removable cables. It is a matter of comfort for me... I don't enjoy sprongy cables.

May you update us, listening more with the ZSN, how do they compare with the ed16?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #37,779 of 63,917
Can anyone tell me how the ZSN compare to the BQEYZ BQ3? I know it might be apples and pears as its different driver configs but was wondering if I will notice a clear difference SQ Wise? What about comfort? I can unfortunately not spend endless money on iems so it can't be hit or miss. I'm hoping to get something a bit more expensive with such a SQ that I won't have to upgrade anytime soon. But DAMN the ZSN design is cool!!

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #37,784 of 63,917
I've spent the last three hours listening to several of my metal KZ's (ZS6, BA10, ZSA, ED8, ED9 & ED10) and I can tell you that all of them sound fantastic. I really should have pulled out the ED3 "Perfection" and HDS3 as well.

I was mostly surprised at how well the ED10 held up (forward treble, forward midrange with tight, deep and well-judged bass). I do hope that KZ revisits the ED10 sound signature because it is very engaging. A new KZ with a further refined ED10 sound signature, CNC aluminum housing and detachable cables would certainly grab my attention.

I actually spent a couple hours with the ED10 last night. Was going through my box of iems to listen to some of my old favs like the Dubliz Enhanced, TFZ Series 5, Light T2, and a couple others. ED10 was the only one to remain in the ears for more than a song or two. It's been at the top of my KZ list for a long time, and for good reason. Love that thing and am still bummed it was discontinued.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #37,785 of 63,917
KZ ES4 vs KZ ZSN, Which is more sibilant? Thanks :ksc75smile:
ZSN. I wore ZSN for 6 hours straight yesterday at work. First 3 hours listened to Jpop. Did run into some sibilance with some female vocals that were poorly mixed. Next 3 hours were thrash, death, and black metal. Nothing but goodness, and I never got fatigued.

ES4 is much warmer and has never even come close to sibilance. ES4 is nice. My only beef with it is it's bass is a bit sloppy. Sounds good with bass heavy genres that I like, but can't really pull off other genres to my satisfaction. ZSN kills everything I throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back