Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #35,551 of 64,391
Finally, a mainstream website reviews KZ products.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/kz/zs10
What are the mainstream reviewers? This site has pretty amazing data, who else does reviews so thoroughly? THD, imaging, isolation measurements, compensated frequency response graphs which seem very realistic (Innerfidelity graphs look much weirder). Awesome.
On the other hand, ZS10 beats Westone W40 (700USD), Shure SE425, Etymotic ER4XR in sound quality as per this reviewer. Also, it beats most of them by THD values and imaging. Who are these people? Don't they fear the audiophile gods? What about basic piety? Just wow.

I beckon your opinions on this cold hard data-driven insanity!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #35,552 of 64,391
What are the mainstream reviewers? This site has pretty amazing data, who else does reviews so thoroughly? THD, imaging, isolation measurements, compensated frequency response graphs which seem very realistic (Innerfidelity graphs look much weirder). Awesome.
On the other hand, ZS10 beats Westone W40 (700USD), Shure SE425, Etymotic ER4XR in sound quality as per this reviewer. Also, it beats most of them by THD values and imaging. Who are these people? Don't they fear the audiophile gods? What about basic piety? Just wow.

It would be neat if they started reviewing more audio-centric brands and not the big box store brands like Logitech, Bose, Plantronics, Samsung, and random Amazon/AliExpress brands etc. They do have a couple Hifiman and Shure products though. Overall though, I do like how the site does their reviews.

I posted a review of the KZ AS10 just now on here and at my website (antdroid.net). It's got a bunch of other graphs beyond what I posted here.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #35,554 of 64,391
It would be neat if they started reviewing more audio-centric brands and not the big box store brands like Logitech, Bose, Plantronics, Samsung, and random Amazon/AliExpress brands etc.

Well, they have already covered every popular audio-centric brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG and Audio Technica. Headphones of these 4 manufacturers are the only ones used in studios during mixing and mastering stages. So, it wouldn't be fair to complain.

Since they buy the products themselves they don't cover headphones that cost > $1000 or from boutique shops.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #35,555 of 64,391
Well, they have already covered every popular audio-centric brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG and Audio Technica. Headphones of these 4 manufacturers are the only ones used in studios during mixing and mastering stages. So, it wouldn't be fair to complain.

Since they buy the products themselves they don't cover headphones that cost > $1000 or from boutique shops.
Off-topic, but you seem to know so I'll ask while the studio equipment mention is still relevant - do they use open or closed headphones in studios?

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #35,558 of 64,391

Measurements are somewhat correct on ratings but he doesn't consider decay and phase shift, Which zs10 suffers.

2k decay and triple pierce decay is significant plus a weird roll off treble.

If this decay was tight, it would be simply one of the best iem

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #35,559 of 64,391
Measurements are somewhat correct on ratings but he doesn't consider decay and phase shift, Which zs10 suffers.

2k decay and triple pierce decay is significant plus a weird roll off treble.

If this decay was tight, it would be simply one of the best iem
There are group delay and phase response measurements under imaging, whatever the hell those are.

Here are Delta QSD from a different source, and KZ results are average comparing to Etymotic. Suppose ZS10 wouldn't be much better.
KZ_ZS6%20Open_Left_-_-_-_-_90_20-20k_-_d_qsd.png

KZ_ATR_Left_-_-_-_-_90_20-20k_-_d_qsd.png

KZ_ED12_Left_-_-_-_-_90_20-20k_-_d_qsd.png

KZ_ZST_Left_-_-_-_-_90_20-20k_-_d_qsd.png

Etymotic_ER-4%201x_Left_-_-_-_-_90_20-20k_-_d_qsd.png

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #35,562 of 64,391
Hi guys,

Is it possible to make the ZST completely transparent? I dont like that checks pattern anymore.... Had seen someone posted it here sometime ago but not able to find it
now...

Here’s what you probably saw:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...hones-and-iems.820747/page-1062#post-14296410

The thing is that the ZST carbon back cover may be solid (opaque) plastic, not transparent. Mine (the ZST Colorful) IS transparent, so once you remove the letters you’re home free. On the carbon version, who knows what the plastic looks like underneath the carbon pattern. It is likely just plain black colored plastic.

You may be better off buying and modding a ZST Colorful if you want the clear look.

Or you could make a whole new back plate out of clear plexiglass (or wood or metal or abalone shell or any material honestly). The back cover on the ZST is totally flat with no vent holes, so it would be quite easy to make a new back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back