Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 17, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #35,536 of 63,985
I find the AS10 mids/vocals a tad too recessed for my liking. It does respond to EQ pretty well.

I was playing with EQ APO tonight and used my FR Measurements as a guide and came up with this EQ that I am liking thus far.

KZ-AS10 EQ.png

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #35,538 of 63,985
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the AS10. As the freq. graphs posted here illustrate, and which I can verify through actual listening....the mids/vocals are very recessed and muted. Mids/highs almost have a muddy quality to them as well, not clear or natural. So far I remain very impressed with the KZ ZS10s in comparison, way better with much more clarity although slightly odd sound signature.

But also:
  • Revonext QT3 very good (although some sibilance and unnatural sounding highs with certain sources/music).
  • ED16 are good but VERY unnatural timbre.
  • Geekwold GK3 not great at all
  • Tennmak Pro dual dynamic driver - just ok.
  • TRN V80 - just ok.
  • Shozy Hibiki Special edition - horrible and disappointing
  • TFZ Queen - quite disappointing, not great but better than the Shozy.
  • Mee Audio Pinnacle P2 - OK but not great
  • Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 - amazing, so natural and massive sound stage - but lack of bass, which is ok for some music - these are my current favourite...and awesome paired with an LG G7 or similar DAC/Amp. I discovered the headphones aren't actually 50 ohms though and that the cable is providing some of the resistance - if I switch cables my LG G7 won't switch into 50ohm+ mode...and therefore too quiet.

Hope that helps.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #35,539 of 63,985
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #35,540 of 63,985
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the AS10. As the freq. graphs posted here illustrate, and which I can verify through actual listening....the mids/vocals are very recessed and muted. Mids/highs almost have a muddy quality to them as well, not clear or natural. So far I remain very impressed with the KZ ZS10s in comparison, way better with much more clarity although slightly odd sound signature.

But also:
  • Revonext QT3 very good (although some sibilance and unnatural sounding highs with certain sources/music).
  • ED16 are good but VERY unnatural timbre.
  • Geekwold GK3 not great at all
  • Tennmak Pro dual dynamic driver - just ok.
  • TRN V80 - just ok.
  • Shozy Hibiki Special edition - horrible and disappointing
  • TFZ Queen - quite disappointing, not great but better than the Shozy.
  • Mee Audio Pinnacle P2 - OK but not great
  • Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 - amazing, so natural and massive sound stage - but lack of bass, which is ok for some music - these are my current favourite...and awesome paired with an LG G7 or similar DAC/Amp. I discovered the headphones aren't actually 50 ohms though and that the cable is providing some of the resistance - if I switch cables my LG G7 won't switch into 50ohm+ mode...and therefore too quiet.

Hope that helps.

Couldn't disagree more on the AS10, but I'm right there with you on the GK3. That thing is wayyyy overrated at the moment. Have three on hand, all sound different. Aparently there were some qc issues with the first batch that my first two were from. Third one sounds much better, but still not anywhere near top of class at that price point.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #35,541 of 63,985
Wait was there an actual mention of the KZ ZS4's release date yet or was that a typo for ES4?

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #35,542 of 63,985
Couldn't disagree more on the AS10, but I'm right there with you on the GK3. That thing is wayyyy overrated at the moment. Have three on hand, all sound different. Aparently there were some qc issues with the first batch that my first two were from. Third one sounds much better, but still not anywhere near top of class at that price point.

I think the AS10 sounds great even without my posted EQ. There is a some slightly unnatural sounds in upper mids but it's not a deal breaker for me. Will post review soon.

I'm supposed to get a geekwold soon. Only read one review so far on it. Not really sure what to expect.

My favorite sub $200 iems are the Campfire Comet and the Audeze iSine LX. Tin Audio T2 for under $100. The AS10 may top the t2 for everyday listen soon... We will see.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #35,543 of 63,985
From the FR posted by here, the 300Hz to 2kHz are scooped out. Since the AS10 has only BAs, it should respond very well to EQ. A parametric EQ should fix it easily.
F = 750Hz, Q = 750/(2000-300), Gain = +5

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #35,544 of 63,985
From the FR posted by here, the 300Hz to 2kHz are scooped out. Since the AS10 has only BAs, it should respond very well to EQ. A parametric EQ should fix it easily.
F = 750Hz, Q = 750/(2000-300), Gain = +5

Actually, not every BA responds to EQ. On my Magaosi K5 (5xBA). I can’t use EQ at all - any change I made, no matter how minimal, resulted in massive distortion.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #35,545 of 63,985
Actually, not every BA responds to EQ. On my Magaosi K5 (5xBA). I can’t use EQ at all - any change I made, no matter how minimal, resulted in massive distortion.
And you did set the pre-amp to -ve values as appropriate?
Massive distortion implies either your signal is clipping or you tried to increase the sub-bass. EQing sub-bass is usually difficult since the drivers don't respond very well due to physical excursion limits.

I can't think of any other reason why it would result in distortion.:confused:

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #35,546 of 63,985
Massive distortion implies either your signal is clipping or you tried to increase the sub-bass. EQing sub-bass is usually difficult since the drivers don't respond very well due to physical excursion limits.

Can't clipping also come from under or in most iem cases be from overpowering them as well?

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #35,547 of 63,985
Can't clipping also come from under or in most iem cases be from overpowering them as well?
Overpowering as in too much input power? That is unlikely since we hardly listen at 80dB average volume levels. Overpowering is when the sound output is in excess of 100 dB or more. Even at that level, only the THD increases the diaphragm is not touching anything.

But clipping will occur very easily in the digital domain since most modern recordings have very little headroom. It is easy to exceed 0dBFS by EQ which results in clipping. That is why we reduce the level of the digital signal in the pre-amp by -3, -6 or -9 dB as appropriate.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #35,548 of 63,985

I played with different Rockbox settings and finally gave up. I got used to the stock signature anyways, so it all worked out in the end.

The K5 is an extremely sensitive IEM, and most people have hiss issues with it (although I never did). Maybe that had something to do with it not responding to EQ.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #35,549 of 63,985
P1 is not neutral at all. It is just diffused in response and sound unnaturally hollow.

Agree with TFZ queen, it is a tamed and better version of hibiki.

KZ AS10 on low volume(impedance adapter) is amazing.

Go try TFZ KING II and LTD. These blew my mind. TFZ KING LTD is like KING pro but lower impedance. King 2 is exclusive king with less sibilant treble. Something between series 4 and original king

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #35,550 of 63,985
Here's an IEM Diffuse Field compensation for the AS10
KZ AS10 - IDF Compensated.jpg

And some size comparisons:

P1020075.JPG
Left to Right: ZSA, Hibiki Mk2, AS10, ME1, T2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back