Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #34,126 of 63,914
Is there any difference between comply foam and those cheap foam tips on Aliexpress? Does comply sound better than those cheap foam?

IMO it’s more important to get a better FIT from whatever tip you’re using, than to have the “right type of foam” from this or that company.

I’ve tried numerous different models of Comply, New Bee, KZ, Tin Audio, multiple generic brands, etc as well as every foam tip I’ve ever received with an IEM.

My favorite? The “ball” type from Aliexpress.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #34,127 of 63,914
My HD9 showed up, and unfortunately it was the v1. Way too bassy and dark for me. Mids are also veiled.

Oddly, it came with black Starline tips, which seems odd for being the old v1 version.

Luckily I only paid $3 for it, so it’s not that big of a deal. If I don’t reuse the shell for something, I’ll just gift it.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to try again and hope I get the better-sounding v2, or just cut my losses.
Yea, it seems that aliexpress is still selling-off the old version. Maybe still getting rid of old stock? Here in China, they're selling the one that shows the 20~22,000hz frequency response on the package with the starline tips. Bass is great and the mids and highs are bright, but accurate with very nice details, not veil like the old version.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #34,128 of 63,914
Hey guys. Coming back to you as always for advice.
I lost my ED9s, so I wanted to get a new pair. Anything new that offers a lot of bang for the buck?
And I also wanted to get a pair of in-ear bluetooth earphones for sport, but I haven't seen anything from Kz. Xiaomi has a pair that might be ok. Any recommendations?
Thanks guys!

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #34,129 of 63,914
IMO it’s more important to get a better FIT from whatever tip you’re using, than to have the “right type of foam” from this or that company.

I’ve tried numerous different models of Comply, New Bee, KZ, Tin Audio, multiple generic brands, etc as well as every foam tip I’ve ever received with an IEM.

My favorite? The “ball” type from Aliexpress.
+1, they seem to fit everything and seal wonderfully without hurting!

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #34,130 of 63,914
Hey guys. Coming back to you as always for advice.
I lost my ED9s, so I wanted to get a new pair. Anything new that offers a lot of bang for the buck?
And I also wanted to get a pair of in-ear bluetooth earphones for sport, but I haven't seen anything from Kz. Xiaomi has a pair that might be ok. Any recommendations?
Thanks guys!
ZSA or ZS10. Both great.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #34,132 of 63,914
Some more notes about ES4 - it has similar sound signature to Magaosi BK50 but latter is more clear and detailed but with looser lower end. It`s funny but more I listen to ES4, the more I belive that it is not hybrid IEM.
KZ got the coherency very good with ES4 but like I described before, it has somekind of "blanket" over whole FR. Missing some clarity, micro details and resolution.
But the more You listen it, the more brain/ears adjusts and it gets somewhat better.
But as soon as I put on my modded IT01 - another planet (or supernova that wipes off ES4 planet from existence).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #34,133 of 63,914
is there an aliexpress link to auvio wide bores M size tips?

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #34,134 of 63,914
Yup. There’s also a S-only version, as well as a SML combo pack.

The additional advantages, besides being wide bore, are as follows:

1. They’re the same size and shape as Starlines (except with a wide bore). So if the Starlines fit you well, the Auvios will fit just as well. Compared to other tips, the Starlines (and Auvios) are kind of “in-between” sizes compared to some other tips.

2. They have the same diameter core as Starlines, so they fit IEMs better and tighter vs other common wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind). No worry about them falling off ZS6, ZS5, etc.

3. They have the same length core as Starlines, so they allow a deep insertion (resulting in a better seal). Other wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind) have a short core, which causes a poor/shallow seal on many IEMs.

4. You can stuff them with foam and make your own hybrid tips. You can’t do that with Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind tips.
I got my Auvio tips, on recommendation from @Slater and like them a lot. In fact, I switched to using them on my T2. While I agree that their shape is very much the same as the Starline tips, there is one major difference between them. On the Starline the end of the stem is roughly level with the bottom, while the Auvio it ends about 1/4 of the way up. As a result the Auvio tip sits deeper and doesn't protrude as much. This means it places the drivers closer to the eardrum, which may be good or bad, but also that it sits better on shorter nozzles.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #34,136 of 63,914
Hey @Slater, any EDR1 mods worth doing or is stock the way to go? Got them in yesterday and have been enjoying them with starline tips, even next to ES4

The only mods I do to the EDR1 are swapping the stock tips for Starlines, and replacing the stock red nozzle mesh with a stainless mesh.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #34,137 of 63,914
is there an aliexpress link to auvio wide bores M size tips?

Nope. Auvio is Radio Shack’s in-house audio brand. They are sold on the RadioShack.com website, or in many but not all remaining Radio Shack retail stores (ie in the USA).

You can also find them on eBay, but it’s just 3rd party people that bought them from Radio Shack and are reselling them on eBay (not that anything is wrong with that).

If you can’t get them in your country, your best option is to have a US-based HeadFier help you get them. That’s how a few non-US people have gotten theirs...

I would love to find out who is manufacturing them for Radio Shack. It’s gotta be someone in China obviously. But I haven’t come across those exact tips on Aliexpress (yet anyways). If I ever do, I’ll be sure to share the info!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #34,138 of 63,914
Sort of yes.

Comply foam type is a company secret and it dampens earphone toward open field curve.

Other brands can dampen more or less, boarseman foam damps less, TinAudio damps less.

OK the best foam you can get

1. Comply
2. Tekfusion Kingtips
3. Signature acoustic foam
4. New Bee

Because these 4 damps the same amount of peaks

I personally have been using the New Bee, when I use foamies, for me they last longer, and fit better than the Comply.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #34,139 of 63,914
I personally have been using the New Bee, when I use foamies, for me they last longer, and fit better than the Comply.
I prefer tekfusion kingtips(workout) and signature acoustic tips(enjoyment)

Somewhat more softer(both of them) and way better damping(near to comply).

Tekfusion is like crystal tips, so sweat proof..

Sig acoustic is way softer new bee tips with comply like sound

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #34,140 of 63,914
Just got my KZ ES4 and ESR. Must say that I love the ESRs sound out of the box with my phone, it's crystal Clean, vocal is like Audiophile, Bass is good(sometimes bit too heavy)

But ES4 I don't know what's wrong? I tried it with my phone but compare to ESR it sound bloated not clean like ESR and bit muddy.

I read good reviews about ES4 but now thinking is it faulty or not?

I tride it with my Headphone amp Walnut F1 and its just constant white noise,I think my headphone amp is also faulty.

Any suggestions on picking up the right portable Amp for IEMS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back