Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #34,097 of 63,837
I got my EDR1 today to compare with my EDR2. Both are a steal, excellent sound and build quality. I can't tell you how bad the EDR1 sounded with the stock tips. Why does KZ sell such great headphones with tips that range from fair to poor. They have never made tips that I found useable. Talk about a fatal flaw. I'm sure that the vast majority of consumers don't know anything about tip rolling, so they've got something that sounds like garbage and will never know how great it really is. Clean up your act KZ - If JVC, Sony and Spinfit can make quality tips, why can't you. By the way, after a quick listen I'd say the two sound very similar with a slight edge to the EDR2.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #34,098 of 63,837
I got my EDR1 today to compare with my EDR2. Both are a steal, excellent sound and build quality. By the way, after a quick listen I'd say the two sound very similar with a slight edge to the EDR2.
That's not what I want to hear... Do I have to buy EDR2 now? No... I hope not.

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #34,099 of 63,837
zs10 arrived, at last.
Well, can't hear the "ODD" sound from many reviews.
Good separation, no harshness, great imaging, they are on the dark side, non fatiguing sound)
NOT FOR SMALL EARS!
15300066655371695648233.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #34,100 of 63,837
I got my EDR1 today to compare with my EDR2. Both are a steal, excellent sound and build quality. I can't tell you how bad the EDR1 sounded with the stock tips. Why does KZ sell such great headphones with tips that range from fair to poor. They have never made tips that I found useable. Talk about a fatal flaw. I'm sure that the vast majority of consumers don't know anything about tip rolling, so they've got something that sounds like garbage and will never know how great it really is. Clean up your act KZ - If JVC, Sony and Spinfit can make quality tips, why can't you. By the way, after a quick listen I'd say the two sound very similar with a slight edge to the EDR2.

I agree so much with you... All the stock tips made a lot of uncomfortable pressure inside my ears, were messing up the sound most of the time. Put the tips of my ZS5/ES4 instead and it's amazing. I loooove my ZS5v1 because of how clear its sound is but I love the fun factor of the EDR1. ES4 was the middle ground for me, sadly I got a defective unit lol

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #34,101 of 63,837
Hello guys. I want to know if FiiO FH1 is worth buying. And how much better or worse they are in comparison to these KZ IEMs.

FH1 is better construction wise than most KZ. (Exceptions might be the Zs6 and newer ZsA which share the metal shell, although I personally think fit and finish is better on the FH1 than even those two).
Sound Wise the FH1 has a treble spike at about 9kHz that cuts through the signature pretty confidently. Several of the Kz line are also known for treble spikes so this is not a huge differentiator but the KZ is usually closer to 7kHz so the spike on the FH1 to my ear is a bit further up the spectrum from that of the Zs6. Neither of those two are for the treble shy.

Both the Zs6 and the FH1 also share elevated bass and are not for those seeking a near neutral experience. As for price comparison, the Fiio has a much better kit with it than the Average KZ so if you add the extra cable, case etc... to the price of the Zs6, price is pretty close. I have both and find myself reaching for the FH1 far more often than the Zs6 due to better fit and finish and the treble being slightly less intrusive.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #34,102 of 63,837
I got my EDR1 today to compare with my EDR2. Both are a steal, excellent sound and build quality.

+1

I can't tell you how bad the EDR1 sounded with the stock tips.

+1.

I use Starlines on my EDR1s. The EDR1/2 nozzle has a narrow opening, and doesn’t really benefit from wide bore tips in my experience. Starlines are an excellent match not only with the fit and comfort, but also for the narrow nozzle bore.

I'm sure that the vast majority of consumers don't know anything about tip rolling, so they've got something that sounds like garbage and will never know how great it really is.

I just assume most people on HeadFi not only know about tip rolling, but it’s one of the 1st things they do after getting an IEM.

If not, then it’s really unfortunate like you said. Because 75% of the stock tips I receive with IEMs are not the best tips to use with that IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #34,103 of 63,837
I find Spin-fits, KZ Star-lines, Foams (Comply), and the occasional Spiral-dot cover pretty much the gamut of tips for me. If I cant find one in those 4 that works, chances are tip-rolling any further is not going to yield any miracles.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #34,104 of 63,837
Well, it's been a while and I think I've had enough time to form an opinion on the ZS10 and ES4.

Both are almost identical in size, but the nozzle on the ES4 is a little longer, which I think helps with the fit and seal.

Sound-wise, I don't hear much of a sonic benefit to the ZS10's additional drivers over the ES4. Tuning on the ES4 is a little less fatiguing as well and I find there isn't the same amount of energy in the ZS10 in comparison. Now that the DDs in each have relaxed a bit from play, the ES4 pushes ahead in terms of managing bass and midbass; due to the ZS10's relatively heavy midbass bleed, things can get muddy fast without EQ. Both really benefit from a drop in both the midbass and upper treble.

Between the two, the ES4 makes more sense for me as I'll use my Monoprice M300 for anything with just dialog. I'll run the full gamut of 1More's app on the ZS10 and see if my impressions don't change.

On the subject of comparing KZ to higher price brackets, it's a silly comparison when you think that, after purchase, you're not putting dollar signs in your ear. I've gone through a lot of pairs of IEMs (though @crinacle still takes the cake) and feel comfortable saying that both of the KZs I've tried perform well, but each still has its shortcomings.

On the TRN BT3, the ZS10 just fall apart. They really need more juice than what the BT3 provides. The ES4 fare much better, though both excel when I run them through a Xduoo X3.

Also, I've ordered the ED16 based on feedback here and for my own curiosity, am still waiting on the ZS6 to arrive, and also managed to snag a pair of iSine 10 and these babies for a song:

IMG_20180626_083457.jpg

These Massdrop X are pretty fantastic, too. Maybe not as organic-feeling as an EQed ES4 has been for me, but the isolation is leagues better. I think it's going to end up being pretty heavily used.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #34,105 of 63,837
Just got my Burson Audio V5i-D dual-opamps along with KZ ES4 (teal with no-mic cable) and I have to say - this is unique sounding KZ IEM that KZ hasn`t done before.
I have listened them only about 30min (with Auvio S size wide-bore tips) and here are some shot notes:
* Imho, best looking and quality made shells from KZ.
* Size is little larger than IT01 but very similar fit. Only difference is that ES4 shells are thicker and reach out7over earlobes little.
* I find nozzle angle relative to cable angle (angled ends) spot-on.
* cable changing to lower impedance doesn`t help to improve sound. Stock brown braided cable is totally ok.
* sound quality (especially clarity& details) is night&day between IT01. IT01 is way higher league.
* soundstage is great.
* imaging is great.
* details are quite good.
* missing some micro-details.
* mids are pretty much great. Never heard such mids (especially low-mids) from another KZ.
* bass is nicely balanced between sub-bass and mid-bass - no boomyness or overshadowing other frequencies.
* most vivid and smooth highs from KZs I`ve heard.
* overall very nicely balanced little warmish-tilted sound - totally fatique free.
* low-impedance output source and loads of amping doesn`t seem to improve sound quality.
* decays/reverbs are pretty much great.
* requires average or little above listening volume. Not so great at low volume.

....seems a great IEM? Well... yes & no. Yes because it would be PERFECT for youngsters/kids/childs who listen lot of V-shaped/oriented music whom hearing every parent
would like to preserve! Even at high volume! Sounds crazy but this is the only chi-fi hybrid I would give to my child (and probably will if she grows more).
Now the bad part - it is hard to describe but somehow whole sound of ES4 seems to be covered with somekind of haze/fog/blanket or whatever I would call it.
It misses lot of micro-detail and guitar riffs sound somewhat muddy due to that. I suspect it has lot to do with "crossover" resistors and modding nozzle/vents/grills wont help much.
It like it could use some highs by-pass caps/resistors to sound right and wake up clarity/micro-details within whole fr.
I don`t know it You get what I`m trying to say.

Anyway, this is special KZ IEM and I actually recommend to buy it (especially for parents who care about their child hearing but wish to give them good sq).

Now, I`m quite busy with all other things but will try to see what I can do by modding ES4 to improve it and test some resistors (or without).
Will post pic from my ES4 alongside with IT01 mod soon. ES4 is darn beautiful!
But it makes me wonder how the hell ZS10 would fit to anyones ears? O_o ES4 is max size my small ears could take.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #34,106 of 63,837
I find Spin-fits, KZ Star-lines, Foams (Comply), and the occasional Spiral-dot cover pretty much the gamut of tips for me. If I cant find on in those 4 that works, chances are tip-rolling any further is not going to yield any miracles.

Auvio wide bores should be on that list for sure.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #34,107 of 63,837
Now the bad part - it is hard to describe but somehow whole sound of ES4 seems to be covered with somekind of haze/fog/blanket or whatever I would call it.
It misses lot of micro-detail and guitar riffs sound somewhat muddy due to that. I suspect it has lot to do with "crossover" resistors and modding nozzle/vents/grills wont help much.
It like it could use some highs by-pass caps/resistors to sound right and wake up clarity/micro-details within whole fr.
I can echo this and it's what immediately stuck out to me when I got the Noble X. Where the ES4 feels like there's some detail there, the Noble X will turn a tone into a twang on guitars. The ES4 does have a bit of a veil, but I think that's inherent to most pairs of IEMs that get classified anywhere close to "warm" or "laid back."

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #34,109 of 63,837
I can echo this and it's what immediately stuck out to me when I got the Noble X. Where the ES4 feels like there's some detail there, the Noble X will turn a tone into a twang on guitars. The ES4 does have a bit of a veil, but I think that's inherent to most pairs of IEMs that get classified anywhere close to "warm" or "laid back."
You cannot expect from a Chinese BA....

If you want to compare to Noble X, go compare it04(Chinese company)

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #34,110 of 63,837
Auvio wide bores should be on that list for sure.

Havent tried those yet, the spiral dots have done the wide bore duty thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back