Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #33,467 of 63,916
It is a baby ZS10. I want to see the creatures in the background. What are they?
I'll snap some photos when I get home, but they're little Nightmares Before Christmas figurines a friend of ours made as a gift.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #33,468 of 63,916
I am afraid of those KZ ones turning green also... I would have to throw it away if that happened. The cable you bought is really beautiful looking... hope it was not horribly expensive.

That’s what I’m telling myself!

Although rather bizarrely, the cables fit perfectly in the ZS10. However i can’t get them more than a 1/3 the way in on my ZS5.

I’ve heard that there are two “types” of cables, but I thought it was just on the “angled” or “straight” connector, not on the plug diameter?

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #33,469 of 63,916
Zs10 needs cotton swap damping and some bass reduction to actually sound very nice.

It has a weird Frequency response for my taste and even for my family taste, Dad tried it and said local 1$ were more justifiable( well everything sounds same until it is worst for him). No QC issue as my friend zs10 sounds same.

It has over glaring 5kHz peak and then sudden roll off which can make it female focused mid and then no air detail.

Light cotton filling inside nozzle will fix it. Light filling will damp 4kHz and 6kHz

But then it had crazy bass response( no colouring, just that the bass went phantom and monstrous)

OK, somebody here mentioned zero ohm resistor.

Well we add zero ohm resistor to increase the power handling of crossover. It will have certain watt rating, if applied in series, it act as single increased resistance but here zero resistance will help distribute heat dissipation from the "rated ohm" resistor.

Shure se846 have 2 of zero ohm resistance.

Best KZ for me till now

Old gen

KZ ED9 edition
KZ ES3
KZ ZS5
KZ ANV
KZ ie80

New

KZ ES4
KZ ED16
KZ ED9 Black

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #33,470 of 63,916
i get why kz floods the market with so many new models--just like gym shoes or cabernets, there's a lot of folks who are more into collecting than using. what i can't quite grasp is why there's so little sonic and (particularly) aesthetic differentiation between their new releases--try as i might i can't see a ton of difference between the zs10, zsr, ed16, etc. if i was mr. kz, i'd be more focused on design, but of course, what do i know...

That's why I try and concentrate on the models that offer something unique (either in sound tuning, design, or features):
  • ANV (1st large diameter dynamic)
  • ED9 (solid copper body and changeable filters)
  • ZS1 (1st dual dynamic, 1st with crossover)
  • ZN1 (built-in amplifier)
  • HDS2 (smallest KZ, more neutral model)
  • ZS3 (1st KZ with CEIM-type design, 1st with 2-pin removable cable)
  • ZST (1st hybrid from KZ)
  • ZS5 v1 (1st quad driver from KZ)
  • ZS6 (flagship, aluminum shell, excellent sound)
The new models seem to just be a race to see how many virtually similar models they can crank out. The only one I am excited about is that large round one, because it will be the 1st large-diameter dynamic since the ANV. I forget the model code, but it looks like a big round bubble.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #33,471 of 63,916
That's why I try and concentrate on the models that offer something unique (either in sound tuning, design, or features):
  • ZS5 (1st quad driver from KZ)
The new models seem to just be a race to see how many virtually similar models they can crank out. The only one I am excited about is that large round one, because it will be the 1st large-diameter dynamic since the ANV. I forget the model code, but it looks like a big round bubble.
I always thought the go-to opinion on the ZS6 is that they don’t sound different than the ZS5 v2. In what way do they differ?

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #33,472 of 63,916
I've read a couple reviews on the ED16 and they said they were sharp on electronic music and some songs were sibilant. Another review said some high pitched songs sounded liked screeching. That turned me off. Sounds like the ES4 is probably better?

Any links for these reviews?

I'm trying to decide between the ES4 and ED16. What's got the best miss (for a KZ)

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #33,473 of 63,916
I always thought the go-to opinion on the ZS6 is that they don’t sound different than the ZS5 v2. In what way do they differ?

ZS6 added the following changes over the ZS5 v2:
  • CNC aluminum shell (more mass loading)
  • Shell has redesigned shape to provide much better comfort
  • Midrange driver is tuned differently
  • Front hole is 50% smaller to provide more sub bass
  • Rear vents significantly larger, moved from sides to back
  • Blue driver dampening coating deleted
  • Different nozzle filter
  • Addition of nozzle lip (on newer ZS6)
  • Additional color choices

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #33,474 of 63,916
ZS6 added the following changes:
  • CNC aluminum shell
  • Shell has redesigned shape to provide much better comfort
  • Midrange driver is tuned differently
  • Front hole is 50% smaller to provide more sub bass
  • Rear vents significantly larger, moved from sides to back
  • Different nozzle filter
Yes. Now what do those changes do to the sound? :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #33,475 of 63,916
Yes. Now what do those changes do to the sound? :)

It improves it.

Better midrange, more sub bass, improved soundstage, much better fit/comfort

The point is that KZ learns from past mistakes and continuously makes incremental improvements. The ZS6 is definitely my favorite KZ. I suggest you buy one and try it out for yourself. If the treble is too sharp for you, there's many things you can do to reduce it. But if you already own the ZS5 v2, you'll already know what to expect from the treble. The sharp treble has been blown out of proportion honestly. You get used to it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #33,476 of 63,916
  • ANV (1st large diameter dynamic)
  • ZS5 (1st quad driver from KZ)

That would be this puppy.....

DXiddP2WAAAOAqi-1.jpg

It's another hybrid but hopefully KZ will put those housings to use with a well-tuned single DD (graphene.....maybe).

I'm still quite intrigued by this 2BA+1DD as well.....

images-52.jpg

Not too crazy about more plastic-based models but....... (shrugs).

Best KZ for me till now

Old gen

KZ ED9 edition
KZ ES3
KZ ZS5
KZ ANV
KZ ie80

New

KZ ES4
KZ ED16
KZ ED9 Black

I noticed that the ES3 is on your list but the ZSR is not.

10077474-1.png

Any particular reason?

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #33,477 of 63,916
That would be this puppy.....

It's another hybrid but hopefully KZ will put those housings to use with a well-tuned single DD (graphene.....maybe).

Yes, that's the one! Thanks Doc :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #33,478 of 63,916
Can anyone help?

I’ve bought my first pair of balanced cable that has a 0.75mm connector for use with KZ headphones.

Since they are are not official KZ they don’t have the curved end on the connector to let me know which side to plug in.

Instead one of the connectors has a red dot on the tip. Does anyone know which way these should be plugged in?

(I.e red dot towards the “curved” side of the KZ plug? Or visa-versa?)

KZ style: rounded edge - clear to know which way

Balanced cable style: red dot, but no curved side.

I found with that cable and another similar to it, the dot side goes where the rounded edge is. Red for right and blue for left. Both cables are in phase in that orientation from my experience.

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #33,480 of 63,916
I found with that cable and another similar to it, the dot side goes where the rounded edge is. Red for right and blue for left. Both cables are in phase in that orientation from my experience.

Thanks for this, from initial first listening and the audio check website listed this seems to be case!

My main concern is now is the cable prongs seem too big for my zs5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back