Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #31,532 of 63,928
A higher output impedance sustains the primary resonance in the headphones. It is clearly visible in measurements irrespective of whether we believe in or not.

Well Golly Wally now your engineering prowess has me questioning some of my other preferred pairings:fearful: Ipod 4th Gen Touch w/Topping NX1, Blue Bird U3 w/iPhone 4, Benjie T6 w/Xduoo XQ-10 and Colorfly C3 w/Topping NX1s:cold_sweat:

Golly Wally.JPG

By all means feel free to critique these as well (can't seem to find the nail biting Emoticon)!

Heaven forbid I show this old thing:rolling_eyes:

Hybrid Party.jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #31,533 of 63,928
Well Golly Wally now your engineering prowess has me questioning some of my other preferred pairings:fearful: Ipod 4th Gen Touch w/Topping NX1, Blue Bird U3 w/iPhone 4, Benjie T6 w/Xduoo XQ-10 and Colorfly C3 w/Topping NX1s:cold_sweat:

By all means feel free to critique these as well (can't seem to find the nail biting Emoticon)!

Heaven forbid I show this old thing:rolling_eyes:

I don't know about the xduoo. But, all topping amps have high output impedance due to the type of amp they use. I do see people posting of DAC paired with amp with heavy 18 guage aux cables. :thinking:

Having an engineering background, it is first thing I noticed.
I know it is your money and you have the freedom to spend and enjoy it any way you want.
My post will serve those new to this hobby that you don't have to spend so much money on gear in order to enjoy it.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #31,534 of 63,928
Are we sure these aren't the metal YZ35 models that are due this year or a these like the old stock that's housed in a new shell? They looks similar and have the same amount of drivers. Or does the upcoming coming model have 2 BA and 1 DD? I'm still curious if the YZ35 is a new version of the ZS6?

Nope, different:

Screenshot_2018-04-26-12-26-05-839_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd - Edited.png
2018 KZs - Edited (2).jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #31,535 of 63,928
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the KZ 2 pin connector socket??
I want to make my earphones cable-detachable, like my old beloved ATE. I already have some KZ 2 pins spare cables and the Bluetooth module so I thought about making all my headphones compatible with them to not buy more cables or having to crack open my earphones to fix them (it's not easy). I have been looking everywhere for kz connectors but I can't find them, the closest to the KZ 2 pin connector is this:

https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3SWYp7-C6-pPjvbZiwy4eT

But I'm not even sure they're compatible.
Maybe some modder here has any idea.

Easiest would be to get a pair of ZS3 next time they're on sale for $2.99

You can also send PMs to the people who had defective ZS3 and ask them to send you their defective pair for (for cheap/free or the cost of shipping). I have links to everyone that I know has a defective pair (some peopole even have 2 defective sets). Here is the link to the post where I list the members:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/201...hat-you-like-now.832367/page-75#post-13961425

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #31,536 of 63,928
I don't know about the xduoo. But, all topping amps have high output impedance due to the type of amp they use. I do see people posting of DAC paired with amp with heavy 18 guage aux cables. :thinking:

I know it is your money and you have the freedom to spend and enjoy it any way you want.
My post will serve those new to this hobby that you don't have to spend so much money on gear in order to enjoy it.

Low output impedance is one of the first things I look for when researching a new amp or DAP. :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #31,537 of 63,928

True, and in my opinion someone can get a Benjie S5 and a piar of KZ ZS6's and have a great little mobil rig for a little over $50. I have no doubt you also have a better suggestion for this as well:rolling_eyes: as you stated if one has the money why not test the old veriety is the spice of life:wink:

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #31,538 of 63,928
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the KZ 2 pin connector socket??
I want to make my earphones cable-detachable, like my old beloved ATE. I already have some KZ 2 pins spare cables and the Bluetooth module so I thought about making all my headphones compatible with them to not buy more cables or having to crack open my earphones to fix them (it's not easy). I have been looking everywhere for kz connectors but I can't find them, the closest to the KZ 2 pin connector is this:

https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3SWYp7-C6-pPjvbZiwy4eT

But I'm not even sure they're compatible.
Maybe some modder here has any idea.
Those are 0.75mm diameter pins and KZ uses that size. Pretty much any 2 pin cables will have 0.78mm pins unless it explicitly says KZ. So if you plan to purchase a nice upgrade cable you might want to look for 0.78mm sockets instead. If you want to match what KZ used they are the correct size. As far as pin size goes. This style would be more like the original KZ design and depth but the pin size is 0.78mm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...ml?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.6.13d42f56IyRMY3

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #31,539 of 63,928
Easiest would be to get a pair of ZS3 next time they're on sale for $2.99

You can also send PMs to the people who had defective ZS3 and ask them to send you their defective pair for (for cheap/free or the cost of shipping). I have links to everyone that I know has a defective pair (some peopole even have 2 defective sets). Here is the link to the post where I list the members:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/201...hat-you-like-now.832367/page-75#post-13961425

Thanks, I suppose I'll try to get some cheap ZS3 and crack them open to get the connectors. I was hoping to find someone who sold them separately in AliExpress like the MMCX ones. Using MMCX connectors to mod my earphones was my second option but many complain about how wonky they are and how soon they break. 2 pins connectors seem more durable and stable.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #31,541 of 63,928
Not sure which on these are correct, but there's a complete range of 0.75mm pin plugs out there to choose from.

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/pin-p...ative_id=SB_20180427182733&isViewCP=y&catId=0

Yes, there are plenty of connectors but they are shaped differently from the KZ ones, thus the KZ cables or Bluetooth module might not even fit them. And the separation between the two pin holes might be another issue, if it's wider or narrower the pins won't get in. I wish somebody sold the KZ ones.
Has anyone tried the MMCX connectors to mod any earphones? Are they any good?

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #31,542 of 63,928
KZ ZS10 my 2 cents - there is no denying that there is a 2-4KHz spike, however, I would much rather it be there than the 7-10KHz spike of the ZS6's - for one it's much easier to EQ out and make it sound more "flat" if that's what you're into.

Myself, I'm primarily a lighting designer/programmer, however, through the years I've also learnt a lot about sound engineering and DJ'ing and I currently help setup nightclub sound systems for a living so I prefer a strong bias towards bass, but also maintaining the high-end sparkle between 16-20KHz - usually the mids (400 - 1.5KHzish just tend to muddy sounds in the venues).

The ZS10's for me required a lot less EQ to sound how the systems I setup sound compared to the ZS6's so I'm more than happy with them. Additionally, the PCB in the ZS10's mean there is a lot of hackability with these which can only be a good thing.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #31,543 of 63,928
I finally got my Tin Audio T2 that I bought during the sale and so far I'm preferring them to the ZS10 after doing the bass mod. It's too bad that beautiful cable it comes with doesn't have a mic, as I refuse to use earphones on the go without one.

I'm still optimistic that once I get my Ostry tips, they will help with the upper-mid harshness of the ZS10 that I find very hard on my ears. Otherwise, I'll probably just swap my ZS10 cable with the ZSR. The cable is really nice and so far I think the ZSR has a similar sound signature, but is much easier to listen to.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #31,544 of 63,928
I finally got my Tinaudio T2 that I bought during the sale and so far I'm preferring them to the ZS10 after doing the bass mod. It's too bad that beautiful cable it comes with doesn't have a mic, as I refuse to use earphones on the go without one.

I'm still optimistic that once I get my Ostry tips, they will help with the upper-mid harshness of the ZS10 that I find very hard on my ears. Otherwise, I'll probably just swap my ZS10 cable with the ZSR. The cable is really nice and so far I think the ZSR has a similar sound signature, but is much easier to listen to.

What is this bass mod you speak of? does it increase the mid level and tightens the bass response of the Zs10s? is it reversible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back