Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 28, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #29,641 of 64,385
Thanks, believe it or not, my ZST's have memory wire, with stock cable. I was actually thining of doing that but putting the wire inside that pocket, but your solution might be better as the wire ends up protecting the iem's.

I use Betty Crocker containers that I purchase for 2 for $1.25 at Dollar Tree in Canada as another option for storage at home. I use plastic Spiral Wire Wrap in stead of velco to hold the warped cable together. I cut the Spiral Wrap into short lengths that clip around the cable easily. A relatively cheap and effective option for managing your collection at home.

20180328_085835.jpg 20180328_085451.jpg 20180328_085605.jpg

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #29,642 of 64,385
ZS10 on taobao is being launched at the same price as ZS6. Yet funny enough the taobao price is higher than the equivalent ali price....sigh
will wait till more shops have it and start giving discounts before i pull the trigger, right now only the official KZ taobao store has it.

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #29,643 of 64,385
ZS10 on taobao is being launched at the same price as ZS6. Yet funny enough the taobao price is higher than the equivalent ali price....sigh
will wait till more shops have it and start giving discounts before i pull the trigger, right now only the official KZ taobao store has it.

Yeah, I think we've all been tricked and that ZS10 is going to cost much less than we expected when it first showed up. I think that regular price is going to be 40ish and with frequent drops to <30$. Pre-order discount is probably going to be exactly opposite of that. One could argue that exactly this happened with ZS6 for example, but it took a while for ZS6 to drop in price and I think that it will be much quicker this time around.

Maybe it's just the numbers, I've never seen this kind of interest - we are talking thousands of units at this point, just a few days of not even a regular sale.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #29,644 of 64,385
ZST is very easy to roll, cause there is no "memory wire" on the stock cable.
You begin to roll the cable starting with the plug side, around 4 fingers, then use a "velcro" tape as the "3M universal klettbinder 12mm".
With ZS6 & ZSR you need a longer box, ZS6 is the most difficult cause they must not touch each other in the box if you want keep them as new...
My ZST purchased about a year ago or so came with a memory wire cable... hmmm.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #29,646 of 64,385
I have decided to buy my first pair of KZ IEMS (maybe a few)

I wanted to get a pair of ZS5 but I have read that most are now v2 which have issues...
I read somewhere that the ZS6 are similar to the ZS5v1?
Any point in getting ZS6 if the ZS10 is coming out soon?

They have so many releases its hard to keep up and I am getting overwhelmed

Are cheaper ones like the ZST still good options or are they not recommended anymore because of all the new releases?

I was thinking about getting x2 -£10 IEMs (ZST? ATE? ZS3? )
..ZSR??
and 1 or 2 +£20 IEMS (ZS6? ZS10? Tin Audio T2? Tennmak pro?)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, should I post this in the "BEST SUB-100$ Chinese Earphones" thread instead?

My 5 cents.

I would not recommend the ZS5 v2 as they are not universally liked.
The ZS6 are also tricky: excellent haptic but the piercing treble is not for everyone. More for the analyst than for pleasure.
The ZSR surprised me positively. They have a very pleasant sound signature for my ears. Well worth the $25 CAD I paid. I like using them.
The ZS10 are an unknown. For sure won't they have the great metal feel of the ZS6.

And if you want to avoid risk this, get the ibasso IT01...head and shoulders above the KZs and even hailed to be in a league with the $800 Sennheiser ie800. Got mine yesterday...blew me out of my boots. Fun tuning with a contagious, addictive sound signature. A keeper.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #29,647 of 64,385
ZST is very easy to roll, cause there is no "memory wire" on the stock cable.
You begin to roll the cable starting with the plug side, around 4 fingers, then use a "velcro" tape as the "3M universal klettbinder 12mm".
With ZS6 & ZSR you need a longer box, ZS6 is the most difficult cause they must not touch each other in the box if you want keep them as new...

ZST_pack.JPG

ZST_pack_b.JPG
Hey, where did you get the wide containers from? I only have the square ones.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #29,649 of 64,385
If this photo is anything to go by then the ZS10 will be shipped with KZ's bronze upgrade cable. If 'tis so, then KZ is hearing our belly-aching about the stock cables that were previously included (the last 5 or 6 models) and they've responded accordingly.
HTB1bvp5gKuSBuNjSsplq6ze8pXaG.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
HTB1hcGJgQSWBuNjSszdq6zeSpXaC.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

This would be great news because:
1) it proves KZ listens to us.
2) bronze cables don't turn green

It will be interesting to see if this means anything:
HTB1uLOkgQOWBuNjSsppq6xPgpXaE.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

...though "self select" seems to suggest get your own upgrade cable.

At any rate, unless we hear otherwise it might be best to stick with KZ's own cables or TRN's since they have the 90° angle that the ZS10 was designed to be coupled with. 90% of aftermarket upgrade cables fit perpendicular to the housing.
2018-03-28 09.18.13.jpg

Perpendicular cables may rise unnaturally over the ear and flop around if the pin housings don't have this angle.
HTB1sVd3gFmWBuNjSspdq6zugXXaU.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
2018-03-28 09.10.13.jpg

May or may not be an issue. Some of you folks have upgrade cables with the perpendicular pin housings. Feedback would be appreciated by all.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #29,650 of 64,385
The game is On!
Which seller is better? NiceHCK or AK Audio? AK is cheaper of about 1.5$ so I can keep the change for something else on AE but if the seller is slow to send the item or does error then I will stick to Nice HCK

My first upgrade cable was with AK and it was a pleasant buying experience. Made the purchase on Oct. 28, cable arrived Nov. 8. ePacket delivery has mostly to do with how fast it arrived, but it was free. If you're getting something from AK cheaper and the shipping option isn't significantly slower I'd say you're safe with them.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #29,651 of 64,385
At any rate, unless we hear otherwise it might be best to stick with KZ's own cables or TRN's since they have the 90° angle that the ZS10 was designed to be coupled with. 90% of aftermarket upgrade cables fit perpendicular to the housing.

May or may not be an issue. Some of you folks have upgrade cables with the perpendicular pin housings. Feedback would be appreciated by all.

What are those TRN cables? Is it these ones? https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-Z...ado-a-Cabo-Earphone-Atualize/32842771094.html

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #29,652 of 64,385
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #29,653 of 64,385
ZS6 or Tin Audio T2? I have the Meizu EP51 right now and I love them (but the battery is not that great anymore).
I have a budget of 55-60$ and I want something with a good build quality (so metal, I guess)

And if you would still pick the ZS6, what tips and cable should I buy? (max 10$ for each)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #29,654 of 64,385
Hey, where did you get the wide containers from? I only have the square ones.

Yeah seeing those photos made me want a wider case too. About to get a couple of these while the AE sale is going on:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...-Accessories-Headset-Storage/32705808561.html

Looks pretty slick, comes with a metal loop for hanging, costs $1.60 ea. Buying more than one forces you to change from free shipping to ePacket, but that's not necessarily a bad thing with shipping time difference.

Edit: The dimensions need to be taken into consideration now that I've looked at the exact specifications. This is 100 mm x 70 mm x 30 mm. Other square cases with KZ logos have sides with length of 85 mm and height of 40 mm. I'm not sure whether this may be problematic for bigger IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back