Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 28, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #29,672 of 63,832
Do we know what size the nozzle of the ZS10 will be? Is it reasonable to assume 5mm foam tips would fit?

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #29,673 of 63,832
I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about getting some new ears. The zst wave es3 both destroy my shure se215s

Just wish kz had a longer cable. The shure longer cable comes really in handy on my drum kit!

Just wish kz had a longer cable.

$4.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...dpPl=1&dpID=41hnCaHCX5L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

71G4hkLNtvL._SL1500_.jpg

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #29,674 of 63,832
What would be the best KZ model to try for a kind of warm sound? For certain kinds of music I'm listening to lately, I like a bit of a midbass hump. My Awei ES800s are pretty amazing sounding but they make my ears hurt after a while, looking for something with a similar sound that's a little more comfortable.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #29,675 of 63,832
The ZSR surprised me positively. They have a very pleasant sound signature for my ears. Well worth the $25 CAD I paid. I like using them.

And if you want to avoid risk this, get the ibasso IT01...head and shoulders above the KZs and even hailed to be in a league with the $800 Sennheiser ie800. Got mine yesterday...blew me out of my boots. Fun tuning with a contagious, addictive sound signature. A keeper.
+1

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #29,676 of 63,832
Gonna get the ZS10, more shops have them on taobao now, debating blue vs black haha...

BTW the seller highly recommended the TRN aptx bluetooth, did anyone here try it with KZ phones? I tried searching but someone said @Slater tried it but I can't find any reference to the post. The TRN BT costs like 2/3 of the ZS10s tho LOL so want to make sure they are worth it...

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #29,677 of 63,832
What would be the best KZ model to try for a kind of warm sound? For certain kinds of music I'm listening to lately, I like a bit of a midbass hump. My Awei ES800s are pretty amazing sounding but they make my ears hurt after a while, looking for something with a similar sound that's a little more comfortable.

61jgroVYw0L._SL1600_.jpg

$15 or less.
Be sure to remove the foam in the nozzle if you want more treble and soundstage.
Best fitting budget IEM if they "fit".

https://m.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_436717.html?wid=21

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #29,678 of 63,832
Doc, sorry, I have to disagree with ZS3 recommendation for warmer sound. Last two units I got from GB are both clear V-shape signature with quite muddy/bleeding bass and recessed mids.
Also, ZS3 quality is quite bad because of crushed/slammed shrink-tubes used as sound-guide. I would rather recommend EDR2 or ATE.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #29,679 of 63,832
Gonna get the ZS10, more shops have them on taobao now, debating blue vs black haha...
I personally grabbed the black. The shade of blue they used kind of looks like a toy-like color in my eyes, and contrasts weird with the red circuit board imo.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #29,680 of 63,832
Doc, sorry, I have to disagree with ZS3 recommendation for warmer sound. Last two units I got from GB are both clear V-shape signature with quite muddy/bleeding bass and recessed mids.
Also, ZS3 quality is quite bad because of crushed/slammed shrink-tubes used as sound-guide. I would rather recommend EDR2 or ATE.

I would agree with you on the ATE, but not on the EDR2 which is about as neutral as KZ's come. To my ears there is more than enough detail across the board (top to botton) to have them qualify as a warmer sound signature. I'll have to pull the EDR2 out to confirm this but I remember them as neither bright nor warm, but more balanced than almost any other KZ in production two years ago.
61JJycKzs0L._SL1600_.jpg

I keep forgetting that the sound signature in my ZS3 is not necessarily the sound signature in the current ZS3. My ZS3 never had foam inserts, has slightly forward mids and is more akin to the HDS1 with more bass and a slightly wider soundstage. If the current ZS3 does not sound like my description then you may be correct and the ATE/ATR would be the best choice, but I don't know if the current ATR sounds like the ATR(i) or if the current ATE(v) sounds like the ATR(i) or where the continuity is at this point. I remember you commenting a while back that currently both ATE and ATR sound the same but they sound the same as which previous iteration?
71yNfUDQ8SL-1.jpg

B9's reviews notes:
The midrange is probably the ZS3s most accomplished aspect, topping KZ's own ATE. Vocals and instruments have excellent presence, sounding natural and detailed. I absolutely adore the way female vocals are presented. Warm and inviting, and slightly more forward than male vocals, they pull you in and delicately caress your ears. Give Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' or 'Send My Love' a go and you'll see what I mean. Outstanding midrange here.

Bass on the ZS3 is a bit of a mixed bag for me personally, but not because it's poorly done. On a technical level it is more or less outstanding; excellent extension, well balanced, surprisingly quick, and awesomely punchy (especially at high volumes). It's even got lots of texture. My issue is that the ZS3 can be overly bassy, something I was hoping KZ would avoid this time around. They're not bass-head earphones, but can be bass cannons when called upon.

Loomis' reviews notes:
Soundwise, I'd characterize these as "basshead," in the sense that their defining characteristic is their voluminous, deep and impactful low end. Subbass and midbass are well-controlled and quite fast, if not as well-articulated as the best sets, and there's little bleed-over into other frequencies. However, the sheer quantity of the low end gives the ZS3 a slightly less-than-seamless quality, as if you're listening to a separate subwoofer rather than perfectly integrated drivers. In this regard they remind me of the Velodyne V-Pulse, another good IEM titled a bit too much to the bottom end. I should probably try eq-ing or trying different tips with the view to better balancing the bass.

Mids are very rich and clean-sounding; voices and guitars are presented with a lot of body but still sound quite natural. Treble is a little warmed over but likewise has a lot of body and good clarity; it's not especially extended or detailed, but neither is it sharp or strident. Resolution is not close to the level of say, the XE800, tho drums, piano and other quick transients are quite well-rendered. In general, the ZS3 seems to be going for a big, expansive sound which eschews microdetail and intimacy for more excitement.

Where these really excel is in soundstage and imaging/instrument placement, which (like the ED9) is incredible--you can place the location of each musician precisely on a very wide stage. In this regard they remind me of the Tennmak Pro and Piano, two similarly-configured IEMs which also present a very big, accurate stage. However, the ZS3 has better-controlled bass than the Pro or the Piano, and as a result perhaps better overall clarity (the Pro and especially the Piano do have more highend resolution/detail, however).

Compared to my favorite KZ, the ED9, the ZS3 are warmer and has more and tighter bass; the ED9 sounds considerably smaller but more transparent/natural.

My own review notes:
Choosing the correct eartips for the ZS3 is crucial. KZ's olive-shaped silicone eartips never give me a proper seal so I had to put those out to pasture and bring in my "Philips" cone-shaped silicone eartips which always seal well (see photos). They do not obstruct the nozzle opening AT ALL so I will get everything the ZS3 has to offer. A smaller bore silicone eartip would concentrate some frequencies and a Comply Foam Tip would absorb treble and skew the presentation. I want to hear the ZS3 exactly the way it was tuned, in all its glory and/or flaws.

I decided to test the earphones on two different Wolfson equipped sources....

The ZS3 have a more full-bodied presentation through the Fiio X3i! I find that the ZS3 can come across a bit heavy handed with recordings that were mastered with thicker bass. The best way for eveyone reading this review to experience what I am describing is this: Go to YouTube, type in "Fleetwood Mac Topic", then scroll to "Rhiannon" and listen intently. Next, type in "The Icicle Works Topic", then scroll to "Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly)" and pick the 3 minute 49 second track. You will hear a marked difference in the tone and timber of the bass for these two tracks. This is what I am referring to when I talk about how the music was mastered. The footprint of the bass in "Rhiannon" is a bit prominent. A warmer leaning DAP will present "Rhiannon" with bass that will sound far too forward. Conversely, listening to "Whisper To A Scream (When Birds Fly), you are effortlessly seduced by each instrument. There is no distraction by any particular frequency and you just melt into the music. The point to this exercise is to understand that a brighter-leaning DAP will give a more even presentation of differently mastered tracks. In short, the ZS3 will perform at its best when paired with a brighter sounding DAP. With a warm-leaning DAP the ZS3 could potentially be described as a basshead IEM. Furthermore, if you tend to prefer foam eartips the smooth treble in some tracks would simply get buried.....

Knowledge Zenith has fashioned from a single 8mm dynamic driver a clean, wide, full bodied, warm yet well detailed in-ear monitor. Everything is captured in a natural and.....unelectronic (just made up a new word) way.

To my ears the ZS3 sound like the KZ HDS1 coupled to a very good subwoofer (with a perfect balance of sub-bass and mid-bass). As good as the HDS1 is, it plays second fiddle to the ZS3 for me (based on my sound signature preference). If you prefer an IEM with a flat response across the frequency range you will, likely, disagree with me. I prefer my music to sound alive and dynamic and flat response IEMs typically aren't engaging enough for me. Earphones should ALWAYS be about enjoying your music collection. The HDS1 has slightly more extension at the top end. Nonetheless, the ZS3 delivers the top end in a very clean and organic manner. When comparing these two IEMs, the HDS1 can sound bright, but bright is not how I would describe the HDS1. The HDS1 is more neutral with a slight emphasis in the mid-bass and lower midrange. The ZS3 bass compliments the mids and highs very well resulting in a superb and coherent presentation not found in this price category and its single 8mm dynamic driver is definitely tuned better than either of KZ's dual dynamic driver IEMs (KZ ZS2 & KZ DT5).....

At some point I'll have to upload my review which is more in line with B9's and Loomis', but be aware that the three of us (B9, Loomis and me) have the ZS3 in its earliest iteration. I've been adding old skool KZ reviews one by one to the head-fi roster so mine will be posted at some point.

In the meantime, the lack of continuity at KZ makes one hesitant and the persistent lack of denoting different iterations give new meaning to the term "Lost in translation".

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #29,681 of 63,832
Well, my EDR2 was also kind of neutral sided with good mids but they sounded "intimate & foward" and somewhat warm. I bought my EDR2 long back, shortly after release.
I don`t know about current release though.
About ATE - current 5th gen ATE sounds same to current latest ATR (which has red-shelled ATE 5th gen driver inside).

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #29,682 of 63,832

BTW the seller highly recommended the TRN aptx bluetooth, did anyone here try it with KZ phones? I tried searching but someone said @Slater tried it but I can't find any reference to the post. The TRN BT costs like 2/3 of the ZS10s tho LOL so want to make sure they are worth it...

Yeah, they worked fine for me. And I liked it way better than the KZ cable.

I had no way to test aptX though. Regular bluetooth worked fine.

Obviously I can't speak for the ZS10 either, since it's not even released yet.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #29,684 of 63,832
Well at least I didn't get a warning PM this time around for mentioning the unmentionable because I now know to edit the quote and make sure that it isn't even in the quote. Just seems a bit catch-22 wanting to keep it low key and not make a big deal about it yet still removing posts mentioning there.

Back to on topic. I decided to forgo getting the pre-sale of the ZS10. I got burned by getting the ZS6 for over $40 when it first came out only to see Gearbest sales under $25 less than 2 months later. Add to the problem that the sound wasn't very different from the ZS5 v2 I already had. So I'm going to wait and see if KZ actually put some effort into the crossover and tuning.

Instead I'll keep being amazed at how much changing the opamp in my little bear tube amp b4 to the sample Burson sent me of the V5i and work on getting a new nice write up and review for them for it. I was trying a number of different IEMs not just my favorite choices just to get an overall impression of what the changes do in real terms. I had initially decided against any of the KZ I have because they fall into 2 roughly 2 groups: under $8 single driver designs or the brighter than I prefer but wouldn't say they scream ZS5 v2 and ZS6. I was thinking of what simple hybrids I have, single DD + single BA. Totally forgot about the ZSR I have. So they're on the listening pile now.

Wouldn't trust this trashy zx company no more. There are so many capable chifis now

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #29,685 of 63,832

I'd say the ZSR: warm and pleasant right up from the hips (bass). My ZS3 (Oct. 2016 vintage) sound like sh...harsh and dark...but independently, the ZS3 model has been superseded by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back