Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #28,786 of 63,917
Just a bit of warning. A year ago there were hints of upcoming models from KZ and some never saw the light of day. I'm suggesting a wait and see approach to all things new from KZ

Also, I think some may have always been intended for ODM customers. Like the TRN V10 for example.

There's quite a lot of redundancy in that 2018 lineup, and it would be significantly more retail models than KZ has ever released in a single year. That's what makes me believe about 50% of that list won't be sold as "KZ" models. I mean, it's a few weeks away from Q2 2018 and they have yet to release a single one.

We'll see though.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #28,787 of 63,917
I hope that the YZ49 uses the exact same drivers as the ED9, just with an extra BA, because the ED9 has the best V-shaped sound I've ever heard.

Wow, even even brighter ED9? Move over ZS6!

I do hope they release more models with tuning filters too; specifically front and rear filters (like the lz a4). The popularity of the ED9 should have been an indicator that customers like that feature.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #28,788 of 63,917
I went so far as to use the set of sanding / polishing sponges I have (1200 to 9600 grit) to see if I could remove the writing on the ZSR and it didn't work. I'm guessing that the writing is either embedded in the shell meaning inside because the shells may be made from multiple layers of whatever material they use or on the inside of the shell, although I don't think that's the case.
Wow. I guess KZ did step up their QC game. Too bad it was spent on making their gaudy decals damn near unremovable.

You could try denaturated spirit, make paper "wet" with it and wrap in food-plastic for a while. Furniture restorators use this method to remove laquer and stain from wood.
Have you tried this method, out of curiosity? I'm a somewhat circumspect guy, so unless someone else has done it before I'm unlikely to attempt it.

How long did you let it sit on for?

I made "nests" out of bottle caps, filled them up with alcohol, and let the earpieces sit in them for a day. Before that it was vigorous scrubbing with cuetips. I'm hesitant to let them soak in the polish remover since it's acetone-based, so no telling what effects it would have on the plastic over a long period of time.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #28,790 of 63,917
I made "nests" out of bottle caps, filled them up with alcohol, and let the earpieces sit in them for a day. Before that it was vigorous scrubbing with cuetips. I'm hesitant to let them soak in the polish remover since it's acetone-based, so no telling what effects it would have on the plastic over a long period of time.

Yeah, that should have been MORE than enough time.

I buffed the writing off, vs trying to melt it off with solvent (and risk melting the plastic as you mentioned). Just some plastic polish (with a Dremel buffing wheel on the slowest speed) and lots of elbow grease.

Another guy used a scotch brite (green) pad to get his off (the ZS3 or maybe ZST I think). Be aware that puts a satin finish on the cover. So if you go the scotch brite route and you want it crystal clear again, you can use the plastic polish and lots of elbow grease method afterwards.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #28,791 of 63,917
Have you tried this method, out of curiosity? I'm a somewhat circumspect guy, so unless someone else has done it before I'm unlikely to attempt it.
Not with KZ ZST/ZS3. I will try it with ZS3 this week :wink:

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #28,792 of 63,917
Well, have just started to listen to my EDR1s that arrived a few days ago for the grand sum of £2.50 from Gearbest.

Big thanks to @Otto Motor for recommending them, they're unbelievable bang for buck!

Tons of sub bass, nice neutral mids and nice slightly elevated treble. Have been A B ing them with my new Sony mdr 100AP over ear headphones that cost me £83 and I think I prefer the EDR1s!

Have put some double flange tips on as was getting vacuum seal from hell with other tips.

I recommend anyone who hasn't bought these yet to get them whilst they are still around. Going to get a backup pair myself.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #28,793 of 63,917
guys how is kz edr1 compared to kz ate and edr2 is it better or not can anyone give detailed information about mids and soundstage especially vocals and does kz edr1 sound good with low quality files like poor mastered tracks ?

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #28,796 of 63,917
Just ordered the KZ EDR1. Planning on replacing the red nozzle filters with steel ones. Could anyone point out what size I should get so I know to order the right ones? Is it the 4mm ones? Thanks for this thread guys. I got the ATR and ZST like a year ago and have enjoyed both a lot, looking forward to the EDR1s!

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #28,797 of 63,917
Nice review. Reading it reminded me of a pet peeve with the latest KZ offerings. What's with the lipless nozzle design? Doesn't KZ realize just how infuriating it is to lose ear tips left behind in your ear canal? Especially when its solely because of a poor design?

I actually bring tweezers with me in my backpack now because of this. I've had to go into the bathroom at work and pull ear tips out multiple times in the past few months because of KZ's poor nozzle design.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #28,798 of 63,917
Has anyone written a comparison of all available kz earphones?

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #28,799 of 63,917
Just ordered the KZ EDR1. Planning on replacing the red nozzle filters with steel ones. Could anyone point out what size I should get so I know to order the right ones? Is it the 4mm ones? Thanks for this thread guys. I got the ATR and ZST like a year ago and have enjoyed both a lot, looking forward to the EDR1s!

4mm

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #28,800 of 63,917
Has anyone written a comparison of all available kz earphones?

Aproear is the largest source I am aware of, but it doesn't have them ALL.

http://www.aproear.co.uk/review-list/

I mean, there's multiple revisions of many IEMs, some are technically still "available" (but very rare to find), etc.

Be aware that with regards to reviews, you usually don't know what revision they are talking about. For example, there's (2) different versions of the ATR, (2) of the ZS3, (5) of the ATE, (2) of the ZS5, (2) of the ZS1, etc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back