Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #28,696 of 63,914
I've been working on this topic, and have made headway. I hope to be done with my teardowns and evaluations within a week, and will present the final evidence.
Master Slater, I, for one, gaze in awe at the great lengths you are willing to travel to bring us KZ facts! (& dis-pell rumors).
Seriously though, if not for this community i would not have found KZ, and renewed my interest in affordable listening pleasure!

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #28,698 of 63,914
Looky, looky
Screenshot_2018-03-01-02-08-42-1.png

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #28,699 of 63,914
10 new KZ earphones launched :astonished:
KZ will ruin us all in 2018
http://www.thephonograph.net/kz-ann...-yz46-kz-yz41-kz-yz40-kz-yz39-kz-yz35-kzyz34/

i tried to copy the photo from that thephonograph site to share it here but i failed to rip it off :disappointed_relieved:

All of this has been posted here sometime ago, but we didn't know about customization options that are coming.
On another note, there isn't a single 2DD IEM among these - it isn't crazy to think that they moved the job of mid range to a certain BA and perhaps we will see a push towards more neutral response in general. I am mostly excited about a 5 driver IEM obviously but also small metal ones which will probably have a micro dynamic + BA which is something that isn't that common.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #28,700 of 63,914
Yeah, this is the cheapest way and much more options (choice of different angle jacks + choice of cable type and looks). And if You have skills, then proper soldering will do only good.
Though, cheapest TRRS jacks are... well... CHEAP and quite crap actually. Before buying, asking feedback from h-fi DIY cable thread is highly recommended.

This is the way to go I feel thanks everyone for the help

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #28,701 of 63,914
Looky, looky

Not sure what this means.

Does it mean they will sell replaceable rear covers, to be able to customize the color?

The rear covers are glued on. Not sure how they are going to achieve this.

I have a feeling that's just a poor Engrish translation, and what they're trying to say is that the ZSR is going to be available in additional colors (like the ZSE being made in blue). Or maybe certain colors will be exclusive to certain sellers (like Gearbest-exclusive colors).

Who knows though - with KZ things are always a surprise :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #28,702 of 63,914
Not sure what this means.

Does it mean they will sell replaceable rear covers, to be able to customize the color?

The rear covers are glued on. Not sure how they are going to achieve this.

I have a feeling that's just a poor Engrish translation, and what they're trying to say is that the ZSR is going to be available in additional colors (like the ZSE being made in blue). Or maybe certain colors will be exclusive to certain sellers (like Gearbest-exclusive colors).

Who knows though - with KZ things are always a surprise :)
I think it means that you can customize it in whatever color/style combination when you order it.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #28,703 of 63,914
I think it means that you can customize it in whatever color/style combination when you order it.

So basically it’s a confusing way of saying ‘it’s available in a few different colors.’

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #28,704 of 63,914
So basically it’s a confusing way of saying ‘it’s available in a few different colors.’

Yeah in a way, but I'd say it foes further than that. You decide everything that goes in the package, the combination of a few things (which will probably influence pricing in the end). You choose color, tip color and shape, cable material/color/connectors/mic type etc. Maybe it will be a way to save a couple of dollars by not buying regular and 'upgraded' cable but just making a choice and getting one that you want. At the same time, if given the option to go with better looking 2pin connector for a few $ more, some people will go for it = extra profit for KZ without much trouble.
Cable options do appear quite nice, transparent 2pin with black cloth cable, I am all for it.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #28,706 of 63,914
From the deals thread… KZ starlines $1 for 15 pair, eBay from China. Seems like a too good to be true price. Wonder if they're copies?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...the-first-post.692119/page-1709#post-14075453
I don't see/feel any difference from the stock starlines that came with my ZS5. They're black starlines. Can't compare them to the grey starlines cause I don't have them. But I don't have any discomfort while wearing these. They're soft enough for my ears.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #28,707 of 63,914
Yeah in a way, but I'd say it foes further than that. You decide everything that goes in the package, the combination of a few things (which will probably influence pricing in the end). You choose color, tip color and shape, cable material/color/connectors/mic type etc. Maybe it will be a way to save a couple of dollars by not buying regular and 'upgraded' cable but just making a choice and getting one that you want. At the same time, if given the option to go with better looking 2pin connector for a few $ more, some people will go for it = extra profit for KZ without much trouble.
Cable options do appear quite nice, transparent 2pin with black cloth cable, I am all for it.

Ah, I see now.

Drawing from my own manufacturing and sales experience, I believe this is more designed for volume purchases (such as gearbest or massdrop ordering 500pcs of a special color and cable configuration) or “private label” type customers (like the nicehck Bro/YY Pro/BGVP SGZ-DN1). Remember, KZ is an ODM manufacturer for a number of customers.

It’s completely unrealistic for small Aliexpress or eBay retail KZ sellers to stock every possible combination of an iem. For example, for just 1 single model of IEM that is offered in 5 different colors, 4 different tip combinations, 4 cable color options, and 4 different cable jack color options, that seller would have to stock 320 pieces just to be able to have ONE piece of every possible option combination. That’s not realistic.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #28,708 of 63,914
Ah, I see now.

Drawing from my own manufacturing and sales experience, I believe this is more designed for volume purchases (such as gearbest or massdrop ordering 500pcs of a special color and cable configuration) or “private label” type customers (like the nicehck Bro/YY Pro/BGVP SGZ-DN1). Remember, KZ is an ODM manufacturer for a number of customers.

It’s completely unrealistic for small Aliexpress or eBay retail KZ sellers to stock every possible combination of an iem. For example, for just 1 single model of IEM that is offered in 5 different colors, 4 different tip combinations, 4 cable color options, and 4 different cable jack color options, that seller would have to stock 320 pieces just to be able to have ONE piece of every possible option combination. That’s not realistic.

It would be a new thing even if it's for batches and not singular units, but perhaps we will have an option to order exactly what we want in a personalized package from factory. It's probably not going to happen like this given how cheap KZ IEMs are compared to the work it would take to personalize individually. We'll find out soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back