Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #28,351 of 63,884
Because of the heightened treble response the soundstage of either the ZS5 (ii) or ZS6 (i) can sound wider than the IT01. Unnaturally so to my ears.
Well, I have ZS5v1 (which isn`t so "harsh" @ highs) and I don`t find it "heightened in treble" with my gear and ears (I`m quite sensitive to treble btw and don`t like over-boosted or peaky highs).
Also, I`m more into frontal soundstage depth than width as I listen lot with speaker system and open-back headphones too and don`t like "in your headstage" imaging and presentation.
IT01 should be quite spot-on for me when looking at graphs compared to ZS5v1 which I really like.
Amazon has one red/blue left. I would want black. £89 is more than it should be. Others are paying $99 I think. I know I don't need it.
Take it from Penon :wink: I got it for 93€ (82£ with shipping included).

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #28,352 of 63,884
@CoiL There is a very good chance I would be hit with VAT and customs fees with Penon. Maybe £89 is safer.

I have used amp3 before and they have both color choices in stock and are in the UK

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #28,355 of 63,884
Slater sir, your Mods have been done on my ZS3s.
Foam removed and Screen Mesh replaced.
Thank You, I do like the sound better now.

fun fact, the stock red mesh screens I took out are different from each other.
One has a criss-cross pattern throughout and the other is completely uniform throughout.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #28,357 of 63,884
What's it sound like?
The Nebula One has a deeper soundstage, tighter bass, fuller mids, and more detail than the ZS6 without the sibilance. Overall a sweeter, smoother, more natural sound. In a word: Nebula One - Analogue; ZS6 - Digital. It's what I would expect from a $100 earphone.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #28,358 of 63,884
In the drop down box you can pick black

I think that because of all the hype in here someone was buying the black one as we were discussing it. The drop down box was gone by the time I looked. Besides the members who are participating in a thread, there are always more people lurking... like right now, as I type this, 27 people are lurking in this thread. Maybe they will all buy one:)

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #28,359 of 63,884
Stop that talk about IT01.... I want them so badly!!! ;(

Just to be sure I got it right - IT01 has better soundstage than ZS5 ?

Sorry that wasn't very clear. The KZ5 has a slightly larger soundstage but doesn't have the thickness in depth. Besides that, the IT01 is just a joy to listen to. I'd commute for it if I didn't really cherish it.

Just bought a whole bunch of wide bore tips à la KZ whirlwind/turbo from tenmark. A bit pricey but they have white and black colored ones too and a pouch! Added them to the KZ5 and one blue and red for my IT01 (pic on IT01 thread).

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Tenn...le-Conseils-Set-couteurs-tui/32832433793.html

Tennmak-Remplacement-Tourbillon-Turbo-Embouts-des-couteurs-En-Silicone-Coussinets-D-oreille-Conseils-Set-couteurs-tui.jpg_640x640.jpg

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #28,360 of 63,884
Did an extended listen with the ZS5 after ~2 weeks only with iBasso IT03. ZS5 has a fairly darker sound signature. ZS5 has a better soundstage. ZS5 has better sub & mid bass. I miss sub bass that moves air and can really reach into those lower frequencies. IT03 is much, much brighter than ZS5.

I did just pick up a ZSR and VE Monk Plus, should be here today (wonders of living in Seattle!).

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #28,361 of 63,884
The AAW Nebula One is still on sale for $37 (reduced from $113):

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ticwerkes-nebula-one-universal-in-ear-monitor
I ordered these about a week ago. They left LA 3 days ago to cross the continent to get to me in NY. Hopefully by Friday. I think they'll be an interesting listen.

Just bought a whole bunch of wide bore tips à la KZ whirlwind/turbo from tenmark. A bit pricey but they have white and black colored ones too and a pouch! Added them to the KZ5 and one blue and red for my IT01 (pic on IT01 thread).

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Tenn...le-Conseils-Set-couteurs-tui/32832433793.html
I saw these when looking for an Amazon option for the KZ Whirlwind vs ordering from aliexpress.com even though I don't have any problem with ordering from China. Just sometimes it can be almost as inexpensive and no 3 week or more wait. Occasionally its even cheaper like the Hidizs AP60 MKII. $100 at Amazon with a $30 off coupon if you buy there $10 IE800 clones (think I have the model correct, the ceramic shell ones). $130 at Penon and Ali. $10 for that box of tips. And the box looks to be a bit roomier than the 'standard' cheap round or square case so a nice bonus:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0787VLNBG

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #28,362 of 63,884
Did an extended listen with the ZS5 after ~2 weeks only with iBasso IT03. ZS5 has a fairly darker sound signature. ZS5 has a better soundstage. ZS5 has better sub & mid bass. I miss sub bass that moves air and can really reach into those lower frequencies. IT03 is much, much brighter than ZS5.

I did just pick up a ZSR and VE Monk Plus, should be here today (wonders of living in Seattle!).

And therefore....

khighly will be the first head-fi'er to do the long awaited comparison between the IT03 and ZSR.

Let's face it, it was inevitable.

71W-c7Oxa5L._SL1500_.jpg
61VdGovhzLL._SL1500_.jpg
iBasso_T03_exploded_picture.jpeg

Of course I've already got my upgrade 2-pin cable waiting in the wings.

Nice of me to volunteer your ears and time, though......shameless...tsk, tsk.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #28,363 of 63,884
Does the AAW Nebula one have a discount code or is just discounted on the website?

Also what is the name of that super cheap IEM that is on Amazon that has a name like Uii or similar which you guys seem to recommend? There are so many pages I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #28,364 of 63,884
Does the AAW Nebula one have a discount code or is just discounted on the website?

Also what is the name of that super cheap IEM that is on Amazon that has a name like Uii or similar which you guys seem to recommend? There are so many pages I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
https://smile.amazon.com/Earphones-UiiSii-CM5-Headphones-Comfortable/dp/B07413X964/ is most likely the one. And as far as the AAW goes, I didn't need a code for the discount for a different model, so it should be the same.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #28,365 of 63,884

Thanks in advance.

Uiisii CM5

I got mine on Amazon UK when they did their first lightning deal on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back