Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #28,321 of 63,834
My super quick take on the iBasso IT01 vs the KZ VS6(i). No comparison. Easy to tell the $100 product from the $25 (what I paid) one. Smoother sound across the board. No spikes in frequency response especially not in the highs. Controlled bass and sub bass if perhaps a slight amount less. Not saying that the ZS6 is bad. But the IT01 is just much better.

Comparing it to the ZS6, the IT01 sounds more thick and realistic. Instruments, vocals have more oomph/presence whereas the ZS6 sounds thinner. I feel like music with lots of stuff going on, effects, etc. - the IT01 translates those passages better. Maybe this is what people refer to as coherency. Soundstage on the ZS6 is much wider, maybe too wide for some recordings.

I still find the ZS6 and the ZST pleasant as well as a tad bit more comfortable than the IT01. But for critical immersive listening, I'll probably stick to the IT01 and use the KZ's as well as the CM5 for commuting or other activities.

FWIW, I'm using triple flange tips, LG V30+ in Aux Mode (high impedance cable trick <- ignore this please since there is no strike through font available) and Neutron with FLAC files ripped from CDs @ 16 bit/44.1 kHz.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #28,322 of 63,834
I own the bottom picture one. It really do have Aptx as i tried connecting it to my old xperia Z (my only phone that shows on the screen whether aptx connection engaged or not) and it says on the screen that aptx was on.

The top picture, well there are two version, one with aptx and one without. The former is a little bit pricier. Ypu can check on the item's description which version it is

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of these BT cables having 7h battery life. Many of these, like those from KZ, have 2h advertised.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #28,323 of 63,834
My super quick take on the iBasso IT01 vs the KZ VS6(i). No comparison. Easy to tell the $100 product from the $25 (what I paid) one. Smoother sound across the board. No spikes in frequency response especially not in the highs. Controlled bass and sub bass if perhaps a slight amount less. Not saying that the ZS6 is bad. But the IT01 is just much better.

I agree, The ITO1 is just a notch above and that says a lot considering how good the Zs6 are.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #28,324 of 63,834
The second pair I have sound vastly different to the first - so, as I mentioned initially, either there is a v2, or - there are wild and varied configurations, that mean it would be very easy to either buy a gem, or a lemon...

The "better" sounding pair came with reference to a "qq" email address on the back of the box...
Which one is better sounding the first or the later pair?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #28,325 of 63,834
Which one is better sounding the first or the later pair?

The latter pair.

BTW, the newest IEMs have the "@qq" email address. None of my ZS6s do (including 2 bought in December), but interestingly the ZSR does. All of my ZS6 sound the same.

So perhaps the rumors of a revised ZS6 are indeed true. I just don't know if I want to spend another $40 to find out that it's just a minor side grade, when I already own numerous pairs of ZS6. I'd rather put that money on something that's a significant upgrade (such as the iBasso IT01).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #28,326 of 63,834
FWIW, I'm using triple flange tips, LG V30+ in Aux Mode (high impedance cable trick) and Neutron with FLAC files ripped from CDs @ 16 bit/44.1 kHz.

This sounds contradictory. The LG audio phones have a "external device" (which is Auxiliary out mode actually) and "high impedance device" mode. You don't do both at the same time as you're implying here. I own a G6.

Personal experience with the ZS6 is that it sounds a lot smoother and full-bodied when used with the "external device mode".
You activate that mode by connecting a cable extender / angled-adaptor / splitter to the headphone jack first without connecting the headphones / earphones. After which, start the music player, then connect your earphone/headphone.

For high impedance mode, you need a device that has an impedance of greater than 50 Ohms. Plug it in and the mode is activated.

For almost all earphones that have balanced armatures, adding impedance resistors to the chain is not a good idea as it often can and will drastically alter the sound signature of the earphone.

So which one was it that you used actually ? Aux mode or adding an impedance device / resistor to the jack line ???

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #28,327 of 63,834
This sounds contradictory. The LG audio phones have a "external device" (which is Auxiliary out mode actually) and "high impedance device" mode. You don't do both at the same time as you're implying here. I own a G6.

Personal experience with the ZS6 is that it sounds a lot smoother and full-bodied when used with the "external device mode".
You activate that mode by connecting a cable extender / angled-adaptor / splitter to the headphone jack first without connecting the headphones / earphones. After which, start the music player, then connect your earphone/headphone.

For high impedance mode, you need a device that has an impedance of greater than 50 Ohms. Plug it in and the mode is activated.

For almost all earphones that have balanced armatures, adding impedance resistors to the chain is not a good idea as it often can and will drastically alter the sound signature of the earphone.

So which one was it that you used actually ? Aux mode or adding an impedance device / resistor to the jack line ???

Yeah that's exactly what I do. I have an extension cable that I connect first tripping it into AUX mode. Sound is louder, more full as described by others who have had similar results with plugging in extension cables or splitters. It sounds better to my ears rather than leaving it in normal mode. I apologize for being misleading by mistake. So yeah, no impedance adapter, just an extension cable that kicks it into AUX mode. Thank you for pointing it out. I'll make a note of it for the next time when I decide to describe my personal setup.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #28,328 of 63,834

Oh kz... You know I love me some audio and all, but I have no clue what to make of those bold statements.....

I guess Its another cryptic way of making me buy dozens of iems even though I have enough, and so the cycle continues ..

Haha we are all doomed

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #28,329 of 63,834
… I'd rather put that money on something that's a significant upgrade (such as the iBasso IT01).
I think you'd really like them. You can see from the list which IEMs I have here. I have no idea how you can see the list I stuck in my profile but you've been around enough I'd bet you know how. Back to the subject… I own about a half dozen or so $100+ and there is just something about how the iBasso IT01 sound. I think they have the most coherent sound across the entire spectrum of all the 'expensive' IEMs I own. Some are better in certain aspects but I don't think I'd say any is obviously better in a general sense than them. Be warned though it really did take me about 200 hours of burn-in to get the mids to come to play and move forward. They were recessed at 100 and 150 hours. Not badly but enough that I was unhappy considering how much eve.ryone on their thread was saying. So I just muttered and grumbled and stuck them on a player for 2 days (to get to 150) then again to get to the magic 200.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #28,330 of 63,834
Stop that talk about IT01.... I want them so badly!!! ;(

Same thoughts here against the KZ5v2. However the KZ5 is still listenable after owning the IT01 (has better soundstage imo), but not as enjoyable. I still use both daily (KZ5 while commuting).
Just to be sure I got it right - IT01 has better soundstage than ZS5 ?

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #28,331 of 63,834
The latter pair.

BTW, the newest IEMs have the "@qq" email address. None of my ZS6s do (including 2 bought in December), but interestingly the ZSR does. All of my ZS6 sound the same.

So perhaps the rumors of a revised ZS6 are indeed true. I just don't know if I want to spend another $40 to find out that it's just a minor side grade, when I already own numerous pairs of ZS6. I'd rather put that money on something that's a significant upgrade (such as the iBasso IT01).
I'm intrigued by the IT01 with all this talk, however, the ZS6(ii) sound quite sublime with the MandarinES tips, so I'm wondering if for me / my preferences, the iBasso would be a downgrade!?

And, yes, the "QQ" pair are the better ones imo :)

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #28,332 of 63,834
Ok, I just broke down and just ordered it... :sob::cold_sweat::confounded::expressionless::pensive::relieved::relaxed::grin::grinning:
I hope the hype is true and it can provide me upgrade over ZS5v1 paired with iBasso DX5X.

off from KZ train and jumped onto iBasso IT01 train... will keep You updated.
I think after IT01 I will be done for long time. Will it be IT01 or ZS5v1 that I like more, dunno, either way I think I have found near-perfect sound signature and SQ for my taste, gear and music.
Time to just sit back and ENJOY MUSIC! :)

...and sometimes read head-fi (though this one is from devil! ;D)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #28,333 of 63,834
I just don't wanna be rudd but.. you're comparing a kz zs6 with a pair of iem that costs like 4 times its price.. the ibasso is one of the most common iems around the 100bucks price tag.
I mean, not every 100$ iem does a better job than a zs6/zs5v1, but in this case, i think the comparison doesn't stand on his feet..

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #28,334 of 63,834
True, but unfortunately there's not enough room for a damper. The nozzle of the BA driver is almost directly against the mesh screen.

Also, the KZ hard case can be ordered from a number of sources for a little over $1, providing the exact same foam I used (as well as giving an excellent case to store the ZST in). And if one trims the foam using the word HIFI as a guide (which is a consistent measuring guide between all of our ZSTs), then the results will basically be the same as mine (or at least very very close).
Well bro.....armature driver ages like dynamic burns.....and this age is a proven physical fact.

Put white noise on 50% source vol and let them age for 100hrs.

See differences

KZ zs6 super treble became a lot smoother.

Every BA age to a specific time on white noise..

After that specific time, they settle down.

But it only happen with white noise.

And please run on volumes lower than 50% and the source shouldn't be powerful.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #28,335 of 63,834
IT01 sounds rounder on soundstage with more space given to instruments.....otherwise I didn't like the bass decay and sound response.

Neither I like zs6.....absolute hate till they age.....mine took 20days on cheap mp3 player running white noise on loop( my ager and burner...Philips go gear raga)

Well got zsr and they are good, well done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back