Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #27,166 of 63,850
I know you got it to work, but I wouldn't use electrical tape. It does not stick well, and the adhesive gets gooey. I believe this is why it didn't work well for you the 1st time.

You can use many other tapes - foil tape, blue or green painter's tape, scotch tape (ie cello tape), masking tape, vinyl graphics film, etc.
Scotch did it well, yes :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #27,167 of 63,850
Got my KZ ZSR today from Gearbest. Im absolutely in love with these hell yeah!! VERY VERY bright treble and super clear mids earphones maybe because of the double ba in the nozzle and the bass is a touch slightly lighter than the ZS5 V1 from memory. Imo its a sidegrade to ZS5 V1, its that good at least to me. But i think people MIGHT find the ZSR more treble piercing than ZS5 V1, just my guess. And yea ZSR soundstage is slightly smaller than ZS5 unfortunately, tho the strong imaging ability makes up for that.

Edit 3: Just noticed vocals have alot of sibilance, definitely not for the treble sensitive in any way. There is a slight colouration to the mids and treble which makes it sound more "fun". Overall sound signature is slight V-shaped, i find the mids not having enough energy on certain tracks. Anyways the treble on these is very addicting, very bright and fun and extremely crispy with a lot of 'air'. Some iems tend to roll off after the 10-11khz region which costs a loss of air. ZSR's strength lies in its treble crisp and air. Its mids and bass are 'ok' to good standards.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #27,168 of 63,850
Got my KZ ZSR today from Gearbest. Im absolutely in love with these hell yeah!! VERY VERY bright treble and super clear mids earphones maybe because of the double ba in the nozzle and the bass is a touch slightly lighter than the ZS5 V1 from memory. Imo its a sidegrade to ZS5 V1, its that good at least to me. But i think people MIGHT find the ZSR more treble piercing than ZS5 V1, just my guess. And yea ZSR soundstage is slightly smaller than ZS5 unfortunately, tho the strong imaging ability makes up for that.

Edit: Just noticed vocals have alot of sibilance, definitely not for the treble sensitive in any way
What about bass? And what is your music source?

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #27,169 of 63,850
Anyone else really disappointed in the ZS6? I find them noticeably worse-sounding than the ZS5. The treble is ridiculously hot. I appreciate the improvement in housing material, but jesus, a lot of tracks are ridiculously strident/harsh sounding out of these things. I am definitely not dealing with a phase issue or anything like that.

I totally disagree. I got the KZ fever 1 year ago with the ZST, and since then I got the ZS5V1, the ZS3, the ES3, ZS6 (Black) and another ZS6 (Red - one month after the first). I must say that, in my opinion, the ZS6 is by far the better of the bunch. I like all when listened in isolation, but if I switch to the ZS6 I notice a large improvement in most areas when compared to the others (and I returned to the original large size tips after using foams and wide bore shallow tips for a while). Meanwhile I sold the ZS3 and the ES3 to colleagues (I have easy access to them if I need them for any comparison means).
To my ears the ZS6 looses in isolation to the ZS3 (by far) and in comfort to the ZST (not by much), but it's bette in probably every other area. The ZS5V1 are rather good with comply style foams, but (as some others have mentioned) sound congested with some tracks while sounding amazing with others, and vocals are kind of lifeless. The ES3 brings the life back to vocals but looses to the ZS5v1 in other areas. The ZS6 is at least as good in vocals as the ES3 and better in every other areas (and sounds coherent with most of the tracks when listening randomly unlike the ZS5v1). I really enjoy ZS6 bass, openness, sparkle, and timing. Yes, they might be a bit harsh in some higher treble areas, but either I am not sensitive to those frequencies, or my brain got used to it.
On a funny note, I just got the Tin Audio T2, which are meant to have lesser harsh treble, and yet I find them brighter than the ZS6, and even unbearably brighter with the included silicon tips (they are ok with the included foams, but still brighter than the ZS6 :p).

In what concerns the so called ZS5V1 sensitivity to the source (which has been raised by many to explain the differences in the perceived sound), I certainly agree with it, but on a funny way: they sound rather good from an iPad Pro; good from an LGV10 and from the Oneplus 5T, and bad from a Note3 and (surprisingly) from the iFi iDSD Nano.

These are my findings, and might not apply to everyone, but for me they are obviously good :wink:
By the way, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking around for a long while.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #27,170 of 63,850
I totally disagree. I got the KZ fever 1 year ago with the ZST, and since then I got the ZS5V1, the ZS3, the ES3, ZS6 (Black) and another ZS6 (Red - one month after the first). I must say that, in my opinion, the ZS6 is by far the better of the bunch. I like all when listened in isolation, but if I switch to the ZS6 I notice a large improvement in most areas when compared to the others (and I returned to the original large size tips after using foams and wide bore shallow tips for a while). Meanwhile I sold the ZS3 and the ES3 to colleagues (I have easy access to them if I need them for any comparison means).
To my ears the ZS6 looses in isolation to the ZS3 (by far) and in comfort to the ZST (not by much), but it's bette in probably every other area. The ZS5V1 are rather good with comply style foams, but (as some others have mentioned) sound congested with some tracks while sounding amazing with others, and vocals are kind of lifeless. The ES3 brings the life back to vocals but looses to the ZS5v1 in other areas. The ZS6 is at least as good in vocals as the ES3 and better in every other areas (and sounds coherent with most of the tracks when listening randomly unlike the ZS5v1). I really enjoy ZS6 bass, openness, sparkle, and timing. Yes, they might be a bit harsh in some higher treble areas, but either I am not sensitive to those frequencies, or my brain got used to it.
On a funny note, I just got the Tin Audio T2, which are meant to have lesser harsh treble, and yet I find them brighter than the ZS6, and even unbearably brighter with the included silicon tips (they are ok with the included foams, but still brighter than the ZS6 :p).

In what concerns the so called ZS5V1 sensitivity to the source (which has been raised by many to explain the differences in the perceived sound), I certainly agree with it, but on a funny way: they sound rather good from an iPad Pro; good from an LGV10 and from the Oneplus 5T, and bad from a Note3 and (surprisingly) from the iFi iDSD Nano.

These are my findings, and might not apply to everyone, but for me they are obviously good :wink:
By the way, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking around for a long while.

Welcome to Head-Fi (more officially, now that you're posting). How's the weather there at Coprates Chasma? :darthsmile:

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #27,171 of 63,850
[QUOTE="WalterTorino, post: 13991587, member: 489
818[/ATTACH]
I have Axon 7 mini too and there's no DAC. I thought that the minis DAC exactly the same like in a flagship version too. But there's only Advanced Audio DSP CODEC, AK4962.[/QUOTE]

The AK4962 is a chip with the 2 DACs, the ADC and the amp combined in one part. It is a physical codec that does 32 bit/192 kHz max decoding. See discussion here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-smartphone-for-audiophile.662095/page-448#post-13248446 , and full specs here:
https://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20160419AK4962_001/
It is a very good sounding DAC with all of my headphones, and makes the ZS5 v1 a real contender, IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #27,172 of 63,850
The AK4962 is a chip with the 2 DACs, the ADC and the amp combined in one part. It is a physical codec that does 32 bit/192 kHz max decoding. See discussion here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-smartphone-for-audiophile.662095/page-448#post-13248446 , and full specs here:
https://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20160419AK4962_001/
It is a very good sounding DAC with all of my headphones, and makes the ZS5 v1 a real contender, IMHO, of course.
I don't argue about what it is but for me it is not a DAC as it supposed to be. Dunno...
As for me Axon 7 mini sounds kinda boring (with zs6 at least). (Can't say about flagship Axon 7 - didn't use it.) Highscreen Boost III SE Pro is much better IMHO (I strongly recommend you to try it, if you can get it. Finally, we can say that we have made a good music smartphone in Russia :dt880smile: ).
Btw, did you boost a max volume on yours Axon? If yes - how you did it? It's too quiet...
I did it before with an engeneer menu but i can't find how to do it in Axon.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #27,173 of 63,850
I don't argue about what it is but for me it is not a DAC as it supposed to be. Dunno...
As for me Axon 7 mini sounds kinda boring (with zs6 at least). (Can't say about flagship Axon 7 - didn't use it.) Highscreen Boost III Pro SE is much better IMHO.
Btw, did you boost a max volume on yours Axon? If yes - how you did it? It's too quiet...
I did it before with an engeneer menu but i can't find how to do it in Axon.

Just proof that we all hear things differently, lol. To me, there is no need to boost the volume, since I am all about preserving my hearing. I play in and mix loud bands, so the last thing I want to do is blow out my hearing for recreation. I am after a clean, full sound at lower volumes, which tends to color my opinion vs. folks who like loud clean sound.

I'm pretty sure you already know about the "settings\ sounds and vibration\ headset hifi\ super" option under settings that forces use of the DAC vs. the stock (boring) Qualcomm audio. That option also boosts volume and makes the phone a beast for my purposes. If not, give it a try...

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #27,176 of 63,850
Just proof that we all hear things differently, lol. To me, there is no need to boost the volume, since I am all about preserving my hearing. I play in and mix loud bands, so the last thing I want to do is blow out my hearing for recreation. I am after a clean, full sound at lower volumes, which tends to color my opinion vs. folks who like loud clean sound.

I'm pretty sure you already know about the "settings\ sounds and vibration\ headset hifi\ super" option under settings that forces use of the DAC vs. the stock (boring) Qualcomm audio. That option also boosts volume and makes the phone a beast for my purposes. If not, give it a try...
Yeah, hifi is "on" :)
I understand you but for me sound is a little bit queit :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #27,178 of 63,850
What about bass? And what is your music source?
Im using a Aigo Z6 Pro DAP that has a mid centric sound with slight treble roll off sound signature that prevents fatigue. I have an Lg V20 as well but I'll test it out tmr or smth. Bass is tight but not the tightest I've known and definitely deep, definitely not lacking in any way. Its either you feel there's too much bass or it might be just right for you.(Its very very close to ZS5 V1 style of bass)

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #27,179 of 63,850
Im using a Aigo Z6 Pro DAP that has a mid centric sound with slight treble roll off sound signature that prevents fatigue. I have an Lg V20 as well but I'll test it out tmr or smth. Bass is tight but not the tightest I've known and definitely deep, definitely not lacking in any way. Its either you feel there's too much bass or it might be just right for you.(Its very very close to ZS5 V1 style of bass)
Thank you :) I guess I'll buy zsr :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #27,180 of 63,850
I think the Zsr has a bit better bass extension at the expense of a little control when compared to the Zs5v1 or Zs6. To me, the bass is very much the same profile as the Zs3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back