Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #27,182 of 63,836
I wasn't able to get on the KZR deal so i'm going to wait until my KZ ZS6's arrive before I decide to pull the trigger on the ZSR's. Question for you ZSR owners that have also owned the ZS3's in the past: How does the ZSR not fit/isolate as well as the ZS3? From what I see, the design looks identical to the ZS3... so why are there reports that it doesn't isolate as well as the ZS3?

I'm also wondering why people are saying that the ZSR's are a sidegrade from the ZS5's or the ZS6's. I would think that the comfort alone would be significant enough vs the loss of one driver.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #27,184 of 63,836
I totally disagree. I got the KZ fever 1 year ago with the ZST, and since then I got the ZS5V1, the ZS3, the ES3, ZS6 (Black) and another ZS6 (Red - one month after the first). I must say that, in my opinion, the ZS6 is by far the better of the bunch. I like all when listened in isolation, but if I switch to the ZS6 I notice a large improvement in most areas when compared to the others (and I returned to the original large size tips after using foams and wide bore shallow tips for a while). Meanwhile I sold the ZS3 and the ES3 to colleagues (I have easy access to them if I need them for any comparison means).
To my ears the ZS6 looses in isolation to the ZS3 (by far) and in comfort to the ZST (not by much), but it's bette in probably every other area. The ZS5V1 are rather good with comply style foams, but (as some others have mentioned) sound congested with some tracks while sounding amazing with others, and vocals are kind of lifeless. The ES3 brings the life back to vocals but looses to the ZS5v1 in other areas. The ZS6 is at least as good in vocals as the ES3 and better in every other areas (and sounds coherent with most of the tracks when listening randomly unlike the ZS5v1). I really enjoy ZS6 bass, openness, sparkle, and timing. Yes, they might be a bit harsh in some higher treble areas, but either I am not sensitive to those frequencies, or my brain got used to it.
On a funny note, I just got the Tin Audio T2, which are meant to have lesser harsh treble, and yet I find them brighter than the ZS6, and even unbearably brighter with the included silicon tips (they are ok with the included foams, but still brighter than the ZS6 :p).

In what concerns the so called ZS5V1 sensitivity to the source (which has been raised by many to explain the differences in the perceived sound), I certainly agree with it, but on a funny way: they sound rather good from an iPad Pro; good from an LGV10 and from the Oneplus 5T, and bad from a Note3 and (surprisingly) from the iFi iDSD Nano.

These are my findings, and might not apply to everyone, but for me they are obviously good :wink:
By the way, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking around for a long while.

Fair enough - IEM quality is all a lot more subjective than I think a lot of people want to admit.

For what it's worth, I tried out some foam comply tips that came with another IEM, and to me the sound improved immensely on the ZS6. Not sure why I didn't think of trying that obvious fix a lot sooner, but there ya go.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #27,185 of 63,836
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #27,186 of 63,836
I wasn't able to get on the KZR deal so i'm going to wait until my KZ ZS6's arrive before I decide to pull the trigger on the ZSR's. Question for you ZSR owners that have also owned the ZS3's in the past: How does the ZSR not fit/isolate as well as the ZS3? From what I see, the design looks identical to the ZS3... so why are there reports that it doesn't isolate as well as the ZS3?

I'm also wondering why people are saying that the ZSR's are a sidegrade from the ZS5's or the ZS6's. I would think that the comfort alone would be significant enough vs the loss of one driver.

Isolation is higher than the ZS6, but it definitely isn't as high as the ZS3. This is probably due to the vents.
For me, comfort is the worst of any KZ model I have, but I don't expect that to be the case for everyone. The larger, longer ZSR nozzle causes pain after a short time even with the smallest tips. The ZS3 fit me perfectly and I can wear them for hours with no issues. I always wear small tips, so if you have larger or less angled ear canals I'm guessing you won't have this issue. Nobody else with the ZSR has posted about this, anyway.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #27,187 of 63,836
Isolation is higher than the ZS6, but it definitely isn't as high as the ZS3. This is probably due to the vents.
For me, comfort is the worst of any KZ model I have, but I don't expect that to be the case for everyone. The larger, longer ZSR nozzle causes pain after a short time even with the smallest tips. The ZS3 fit me perfectly and I can wear them for hours with no issues. I always wear small tips, so if you have larger or less angled ear canals I'm guessing you won't have this issue. Nobody else with the ZSR has posted about this, anyway.

That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the fit doesn't work for you that maybe you can shorten the tube with rubbing the nozzle that goes into your ear canal with some sandpaper on a flat surface. I was honestly hoping that the ZSR would be a ZS3 but with 2 BA drivers. I absolutely love the fit/comfort of the ZS3's

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #27,188 of 63,836
ZS3 shape is not same as ZSR btw...

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #27,189 of 63,836
ZS3 shape is not same as ZSR btw...

Yeah, not sure why people keep saying this. They are kinda similar I guess. I think they're closer to the ZST housing, but with the addition of an intertragic notch.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #27,190 of 63,836
That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the fit doesn't work for you that maybe you can shorten the tube with rubbing the nozzle that goes into your ear canal with some sandpaper on a flat surface. I was honestly hoping that the ZSR would be a ZS3 but with 2 BA drivers. I absolutely love the fit/comfort of the ZS3's

BA drivers are right there in the nozzle, so shortening the nozzle isn't an option. It would be better to try different tips to see if the fit improves - double or triple flange, foam balls, foam wedges, etc

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #27,191 of 63,836

at 3:36 there is a comparison between the ZS3 and the ZSR and they look identical in the video, but it's hard to tell as the reviewer keeps moving them so that there is no obvious difference between the two. That's where the assumption took place. :triportsad:

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #27,192 of 63,836

at 3:36 there is a comparison between the ZS3 and the ZSR and they look identical in the video, but it's hard to tell as the reviewer keeps moving them so that there is no obvious difference between the two. That's where the assumption took place. :triportsad:

Those pictures might help:

DT81ohIVwAIHM5c.jpg:large

DT81pCuV4AA1oAI.jpg:large

DT81oIFVQAEEMYE.jpg:large

It looks like ZS3 and ZST's housing had a baby...

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #27,193 of 63,836
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #27,195 of 63,836
Search "KZ Official Store" on Ali. There are two kinds of upgrade cable. I have dark one. I like it.

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZFjuiyUB?
http://s.aliexpress.com/nyymiquy?
http://s.aliexpress.com/QRBzuUvi?
http://s.aliexpress.com/jEv2mYb2?
I'll just chime in with the suggestion that if you're going to spend $8 for a KZ upgrade cable that you instead get the newer design braided style. I really prefer it to the other 2 older styles that KZ has. They even make an identical version with MMCX connectors instead of the standard KZ dual pins which I think is about the best deal for an inexpensive MMCX cable. But it can be a matter of personal preference. To me its all about how the cable lies, the materials used for the case, how are the microphonics, how it looks, type of jack and connectors, even shape, for example flat cables, etc because I'm in the a cable is a cable camp when it comes to cables making a sonic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back