Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #6,706 of 7,916
I think it's as you said implementation, on previous firmware battery drain was higher and now it's better as well as the sound to my ears, maybe they can do more with the chipset in the mini because it could have better power efficiency etc the big brother sounds good now tho

I listened to a cheap AK4490 Dap recently. It was nothing special at all. I say if you like what you're hearing then it's showing that the implementation is far more important than the chip. As Chord would put it, the chip is the canvas; the implementation is the picture

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,707 of 7,916

I listened to a cheap AK4490 Dap recently. It was nothing special at all. I say if you like what you're hearing then it's showing that the implementation is far more important than the chip. As Chord would put it, the chip is the canvas; the implementation is the picture

I think you are totally correct about that.

I have spent alot of time reading about R2R and DS DAC's recently and it seems that DAC's don't make that much of a difference especially compared to their implementations.

The analog stages make the largest difference but clocking, gating, power stability, jitter, etc are all factors of DAC performance.

It seems that R2R DAC's should have better details than DS DAC's but it also depends on the implementation's there too and there are many debates about whether or not their differences are audible.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #6,708 of 7,916

Exactly, for instance the Ramos Mos1 Max has a good setup with ES9018K2M and TI OPA1612 at a great price but I haven't bought it because I'm not sure about the implementation. The Axon won't blow anyone away I think but it's good enough and tweakable

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #6,709 of 7,916
I applaud this thread - the search for a smartphone that can hold it's own with the Daps and Dacs out there without the hassle of stacks of stuff , bulging pockets and diminishing bank balances, missed phone calls, reduced battery life...... 
The need for a good sounding smartphone is surely beyond question

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,710 of 7,916
  I applaud this thread - the search for a smartphone that can hold it's own with the Daps and Dacs out there without the hassle of stacks of stuff , bulging pockets and diminishing bank balances, missed phone calls, reduced battery life...... 
The need for a good sounding smartphone is surely beyond question

Well the good thing is that there are a great many choices these days.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6,711 of 7,916
For those interested in the xplay6, I found this article that you may enjoy reading. translate it with google as it is in chinese.
The author thinks that the xplay6 is the best smartphone for music. Those of you who speaks and reads chinese can maybe correct me if I am wrong.

http://mobile.zol.com.cn/624/6247137_all.html#p6247137_param

Marcswede:

You can use the Xplay6 with your 3 network in sweden, as the xplay and one plus 3t have the samme network frequencies band, and I know someone with the one plus 3t using it on 3.dk without any issues.

Yeah xplay6 is a tempting gadget.
Right now I'm leaning towards Ibasso dx200 or the new onkyo smartphone. We'll see when :moneybag: flies in :wink:

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #6,713 of 7,916
Yeah xplay6 is a tempting gadget.
Right now I'm leaning towards Ibasso dx200 or the new onkyo smartphone. We'll see when :moneybag: flies in :wink:

Onkyo smartphone please because it would be very hard to find the english review. :D

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #6,714 of 7,916
Yes. There was no real life comparison with any equipments.. no detail analysis... Just mentioning how awesome the DAC is and how it is gonna be better than many dedicated players... Of course they never bother mentioning the importance of implementations and the internal circuit design..

yes, some real reviews of xplay6 i've seen for now are:

teardown
http://www.igao7.com/news/201612/Ug5LPvwiycaj7TiN.html

rmaa and subjective s***
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100007000.htm

vivo did a weird thing on xplay6: they put dac on the main board, and put all opamps in another board, connecting the two with long wires.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6,715 of 7,916
yes, some real reviews of xplay6 i've seen for now are:

teardown
http://www.igao7.com/news/201612/Ug5LPvwiycaj7TiN.html

rmaa and subjective s***
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100007000.htm

vivo did a weird thing on xplay6: they put dac on the main board, and put all opamps in another board, connecting the two with long wires.

Looking good. I am considering all possibilities as I am really hesitant to get another LG phone again... Crappy H.O. built quality and bootloop.

Right now LG is not willing to own up to their design flaws with their V10 and refuse to service any bootloop phone after the one year warranty... Despites +100 complaints thus far, they arent willing to do **** about it:frowning2:

I like the SQ but despise the irresponsible attitude towards their customers.

Never tried a vivo, but if i can listen to it in bkk or beijing i will let you guys know my impression.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #6,716 of 7,916
Looking good. I am considering all possibilities as I am really hesitant to get another LG phone again... Crappy H.O. quality and bootloop.

personally i think the output quality in V series are rather good 
biggrin.gif

about the bootloop issue...it seems the soc heat dissipation on v20 is not great, die temperature easily hits 80' celsius under load in seconds.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #6,717 of 7,916
  personally i think the output quality in V series are rather good 
biggrin.gif

about the bootloop issue...it seems the soc heat dissipation on v20 is not great, die temperature easily hits 80' celsius under load in seconds.

The HTC 10 can heat up alot too if you end up using all 4 cores for a prolonged period of time.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #6,718 of 7,916
Never tried a vivo, but if i can listen to it in bkk or beijing i will let you guys know my impression.

Not sure if bkk you mean is bangkok or not. if yes, I would say it is not a good place to try vivo. because now vivo store here only have V and Y series. Because the sales of X series (xplay3s, x5max) was not booming as they expect.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #6,719 of 7,916
Stumbled across this thread and I have a pptv king 7.

Sound quality is great for such a cheap phone, have rooted it and use v4a, mainly with my AKG k50s.

Only used the stock software for a day but it seemed fine. Didn't notice any of the bugs posted above but some characters would occasionally be in Chinese script. In any case it was very simple to root and aosp 5.1 and everything works perfectly.

The only issue is battery drains v quickly when screen is on, it lasts 4 hours. But lasts a day with average use.

Overall, an absolute bargain, would deffo recommend.

Is the DAC used by Spotify and other apps or do you need something like UAPP or Poweramp?

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #6,720 of 7,916

Not sure if bkk you mean is bangkok or not. if yes, I would say it is not a good place to try vivo. because now vivo store here only have V and Y series. Because the sales of X series (xplay3s, x5max) was not booming as they expect.

for vivo, xplay series is more for branding and experimenting with new technology. they are not quite inclined to sell a lot of xplays since its margin is not very high...for vivo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back