Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #25,292 of 63,836
So I digged up Aliexpress for the protection case. I finally bought this lady purse for my green zs6

HTB1laUXXAfb_uJkSnaVq6xFmVXac.jpg

If someone is interested https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Xini...se-Zipper-Sac-monederos-para/32840820267.html

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #25,293 of 63,836
Y'know, no one else seems to want to say it, so I will... As you have admitted yourself in the past, you seem to have almost zero respect for the idea of a value proposition, which is a huge part what the KZ thread is all about. Comparing $6 IEMs to $100 IEMs and if you're not wowed by the $100 product there's something seriously wrong with it imo, not the other way around...

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, bring on the bad reviews! They tend to bring more to the table than flowery schill reviews, at least in my book. :wink:

Also an aside, given your examples, I'm curious if you feel like you're particularly sensitive to ~10kHz? As the current article on the front page of head-fi points out, people with resonance in that range are fairly uncommon, but certainly not unheard of (but measurement tools frequently tend to have a primary resonance in that area).

A. If you're flat out broke, or lose your earphones all the time then consider the KZ ED7. It's the only KZ I tried that didn't offend me with shrill treble. Better, it actually impressed me with pretty good soundstage and a relatively balanced sound. It's definitely an earphone I could live with, and that's high praise for $6. Interestingly, I find the more expensive ED9 and ATE much, much worse. And the $6 ZSE just sounds weird in a bad way.

In my world, a product that doesn't satisfy me is a pure waste of money. It's money I'll never get back. I'll never use these earphones ever if they sound like garbage. Also, the difference between $6 and $100 is mitigated in the long run if you consider the better experience of using the product in terms of sound and comfort, the durability, the accessories (your $6 earphones cost closer to $20 if you buy separate tips, cables and a pouch)...

Also consider the philosophy of buying fewer quality products over many low-quality products. Just buy less stuff! It's better for the environment too. Some people on this forum said that they would rather have a dozen KZ earphones over a $100 pair of earphones. You can't "just own one KZ".

I also have a steady job so I'm not disgusted to the idea of buying a $100 pair of earphones. Some people may not have that luxury, so KZ earphones might suit them better? In that case, the ED7 would be my recommendation.

And yet... if they spend just a little more they can get a Marshall Mode on sale around $20. But they're usually $40. And they used to be $100 MSRP at launch. And that's another point that needs to be made: a lot of older earphones that used to sell for $100 now sell for $40 sometimes $20. Earphones are getting so much cheaper these days. And I don't think that $20, heck $40 is a huge expense if you get something truly excellent, with only just a few minor flaws. With KZ it's almost a challenge to see how low the price can be. And they cut a lot of corners that way. You get these annoying rubbery cables, mesh covers that fall off, and the cheapest ear tips available for example.

Overall, I'm just saying that you should purchase the best product for the price you're willing to pay. For me it's $100, because I don't see the point of spending more. They're earbuds for crying out loud! Get speakers if you want to truly experience music. I mean seriously, for about $100 a set of Micca MB42 speakers combined with a Lepa LP-2020A amp will do a far better job at reproducing music than most headphones/earphones under $200.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #25,294 of 63,836
So I digged up Aliexpress for the protection case. I finally bought this lady purse for my green zs6

HTB1laUXXAfb_uJkSnaVq6xFmVXac.jpg

If someone is interested https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Xini...se-Zipper-Sac-monederos-para/32840820267.html

How's the quality? Judging from the pics, the leather looks rather stiff and brittle, but I might be wrong of course. With the code "AFFLG02", this typical, round, zipped storage bag https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_317791.html with a price of only $0.2 (if the code still works) would be even cheaper though. :D

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #25,295 of 63,836
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #25,296 of 63,836
In general I prefer how foam tips feel in my ears but I often can't get a good enough seal to get bass from whatever IEM I'm trying. My issue with foamies with the ZS6 in particular is that they *always* stay behind in my ear canals. Both sides, every time I've tried them. I can't believe that I don't see more people having the same problem. I think I saw 1 mention from somebody. I really think that they need foamies so I'm tempted to try gluing a set onto the nozzles with white (acrylic / Elmer's) glue.

Am I just the odd man out in regards to this problem?

@bsoplinger,
I tend to have the same problem with the ZS5 leaving tips behind in my ears or on the floor in my office, never to be seen again, .
I find this with foam, and silicon tips even, with those supplied with the iem.
The way I have been able to retain them a bit better to the nozzles is frequent cleaning with a cotton swab, and alcohol.

I haven't tried an adhesive, but a narrow strip of masking tape on a clean nozzle (for texture to hold on to) made a real difference with out adding noticable thickness to the nozzle.

I was hoping this wasn't going to be an issue with the ZS6, since I have some on the way.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #25,297 of 63,836
A. If you're flat out broke, or lose your earphones all the time then consider the KZ ED7. It's the only KZ I tried that didn't offend me with shrill treble. Better, it actually impressed me with pretty good soundstage and a relatively balanced sound. It's definitely an earphone I could live with, and that's high praise for $6. Interestingly, I find the more expensive ED9 and ATE much, much worse. And the $6 ZSE just sounds weird in a bad way.

In my world, a product that doesn't satisfy me is a pure waste of money. It's money I'll never get back. I'll never use these earphones ever if they sound like garbage. Also, the difference between $6 and $100 is mitigated in the long run if you consider the better experience of using the product in terms of sound and comfort, the durability, the accessories (your $6 earphones cost closer to $20 if you buy separate tips, cables and a pouch)...

Also consider the philosophy of buying fewer quality products over many low-quality products. Just buy less stuff! It's better for the environment too. Some people on this forum said that they would rather have a dozen KZ earphones over a $100 pair of earphones. You can't "just own one KZ".

I also have a steady job so I'm not disgusted to the idea of buying a $100 pair of earphones. Some people may not have that luxury, so KZ earphones might suit them better? In that case, the ED7 would be my recommendation.

And yet... if they spend just a little more they can get a Marshall Mode on sale around $20. But they're usually $40. And they used to be $100 MSRP at launch. And that's another point that needs to be made: a lot of older earphones that used to sell for $100 now sell for $40 sometimes $20. Earphones are getting so much cheaper these days. And I don't think that $20, heck $40 is a huge expense if you get something truly excellent, with only just a few minor flaws. With KZ it's almost a challenge to see how low the price can be. And they cut a lot of corners that way. You get these annoying rubbery cables, mesh covers that fall off, and the cheapest ear tips available for example.

Overall, I'm just saying that you should purchase the best product for the price you're willing to pay. For me it's $100, because I don't see the point of spending more. They're earbuds for crying out loud! Get speakers if you want to truly experience music. I mean seriously, for about $100 a set of Micca MB42 speakers combined with a Lepa LP-2020A amp will do a far better job at reproducing music than most headphones/earphones under $200.

For some, it's about having different sound signatures for different genres, mood, etc. and not putting everything in one pair of listening devices.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #25,298 of 63,836
Finaly My ZS6's arrived.
Put braided silver plated cable and foams.
First impressions... No treble canon or nuke. Bass heavy (more than ZS5v2's) better mids, and less soundstage (compared to ZS5v2's) - IMO because of the little bit tamed treble compared to v2's. Similar imaging and layering... But honeymoon it is in the beginning yet. I noticed the 2pin connector is loosen (not tightly fitted as in the v2). Do you have same experience?
Finaly My ZS6's arrived.
Put braided silver plated cable and foams.
First impressions... No treble canon or nuke. Bass heavy (more than ZS5v2's) better mids, and less soundstage (compared to ZS5v2's) - IMO because of the little bit tamed treble compared to v2's. Similar imaging and layering... But honeymoon it is in the beginning yet. I noticed the 2pin connector is loosen (not tightly fitted as in the v2). Do you have same experience?

Hi, that's a nice looking combo. Been looking to get the green ZS6.. While still waiting on my red ordered during 11.11 sale.
Where did you order yours?

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #25,299 of 63,836
Got my ZS6 from GB in yesterday and upon first listen I thought Oh boy big mistake! Piercing Treble slicing up the eardrums really bad but could hear the potential. Put them on the burner overnight..Bam!! Treble is tamed crystal clear details and resolution. Just enough bass, smooth midrange, fairly well balanced. Really a pleasure now. Can't take them out of my ears. Didn't think the ZS5V1 could be bested at this price but here it is...using generic Alifoams, no other mods..gonna order another pair in Black when the price dips under 20 bucks!!
So burn-in is a must..
How long did u burn-in for?

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #25,300 of 63,836
@bsoplinger,
I tend to have the same problem with the ZS5 leaving tips behind in my ears or on the floor in my office, never to be seen again…
Unfortunately the ZS6 nozzle doesn't even have the abbreviated lip that the ZS5 does. Which is why I keep losing the tips. The little lip on the ZS5 was enough that I didn't lose those. Just a warning.

The single strip of masking tape idea sounds like a less extreme idea than my glue one so I'll have to try that.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #25,301 of 63,836
Been following KZ since they had like 3-4 models at best. It's really wonderful to see how tall they have managed to rise.

I remember nagging Yue He (KZ Rep on AliExpress) may times to produce products having BA drivers and they did deliver : ) Love my ZS5, will grab ZS6's successor whenever that arrives. Skipping ZS6 for now as it might be a marginal upgrade to ZS5 (and I already have tons of KZ lying around).
Why not sell off the much earlier models to get the newest

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #25,303 of 63,836
So guys... I spent some time with my 'precious' Andromeda look like ZS6:blush:.
So... where do i have to start...
Donno... lets start at the Eivind Aarset and his '1998' Électronique Noire. First tones of the Dark Moisture and... I have never heard so bassy ear/head phones ever in my life... (i know... you have to say... you are living very limited life dude). After about a minute of the intense bass pumpin' everything else appears... beautiful mids and crystal clear highs. And them Entrance / U-Bahn and beloved Lost and Found... So enjoyable and fun to listen to. Maybe I let myself be carried away... in the beginning... I just love the album.
Next John Coltrane - Blue trane... Another beloved album... And Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain... Fabolous separation of the each instrument. Every instrument had perfect contour and very accurate tonality. When KZ's producing and manifacturing their ZS6's they tune them listening these jazz albums... Absolutely perfect.
ZS6's are just perfect to listen to any kind of jazz.
Another step... Pop...Madonna - Immaculate collection... I wanna highlight especially Vogue... Great impact, great flow of the music and... what next... nothing... it's just POP. In the good way
After that Lionel Richie - Best of... Back to front (K2HD Mastring)... Do it to me... great. My destiny, All night long long ... bla bla bla... and then Dancing on the Ceiling... jeeez Treble canon... (Yes... on some track ZS6's are a little bit harsh and sibilant) only for 4 minutes. And then it came... Hello... I was like butter on the hot toast... No i'm not gay... Perfect in every way... (especially Lionel's voice).
Another one Adele - 25. And another Hello... Perfectness... Her voice is like a bucket full of honey. Send my love... Another great one. Good album... Again just a POP :blush:.
I listened some other pop/dance albums Coldplay, Elvis Prestley, Justin Timberlake, The KLF, Royksopp, George Michael... and... Some artist was a little bit... difficult to listen to... You know what i mean George M... (Your piercing T and Ssssssss).
Hip-Hop/Rap/Black music... A tribe called quest, Arrested development, De la soul, Bill Withers, D'Angelo (great voice he have), Maxwell (another great male voice), Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Marvin Gaye, Jurrasic 5, etc...
For the bass heads... yes they are for you... as a bonus you will get great clarity... What for in the Hip-Hop... Hmm...
Classical... Puccini, Vivaldi (His 4 seasons... Oh my...), Smetata (My country), Dvořák (Symphony Nr.9), even Recomposed Vivaldis 4 seasons from Max Richter... Awesomeness. Superb soundstage, imaging, layering, instrument separation... Perfect... Talking about 30dollar multi driver IEM.

I could continue with rock, (AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Beatles, CCR, DMB, CSNY, DM, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf) depending on quality of the mastering... As better the mastering quality as better ZS6's sounds.

They are superb allrounder (but they can play absolutely the best jazz and classical music) and for me THE BEST KZ'S TO THE DATE.

My new daily driver... My new 'precious'... And finally... In green they looks hell of a great.
Wow.. Can't wait for mine (red).
Pls where did you order the green?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back