Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #25,233 of 64,232
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #25,234 of 64,232
IlS3TUA.jpg

Loving my ZS6 after burn-in + foam tips + better cables. Tamed the treble and it sounds amazing now.

Nice shot @Happy Hacking , puts mine to shame! As you can see I have zero treble issues with Starlines and I'm too Chicken to remove the annoying ear wire! Of course I have the triple braid coming for mine anyway:wink:

Bronzed ZS6.JPG

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #25,236 of 64,232
Nice shot @Happy Hacking , puts mine to shame! As you can see I have zero treble issues with Starlines and I'm too Chicken to remove the annoying ear wire! Of course I have the triple braid coming for mine anyway:wink:

Haha yeah I cut the memory wire and rubber out. They're now soo much easier to put on, and also easier to keep in my pockets now.

If you're afraid of cutting the wires, may i suggest just making a small snip at the ends of the rubber wrap, then slowly peel them down until you reach the wire. Once you do, hold the wire with one hand, and everything else on the other, and tearing that rubber apart is like a breeze. Snip off the wire at the end if you cant get them out, and peel/cut the rubber whichever works for you.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #25,237 of 64,232
THX, if I can build up the courage!

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #25,239 of 64,232
Has anyone tried to insert a SMD resistor in series with the BA inside the ZS6 or ZS5v2?

Funny thing is that after I received a pair of red ones (having listened to the green ZS6's for weeks) I honestly believe the red ones sound better. I don't know if it is just a different batch or what
I believe that this could be the case. At first, people were seriously bashing the ZS6 as it had too much of a treble spike but impressions have changed drastically. Yes, people still find them harsh and that is why there are lots of foam tips posts, but nothing like when they first came out. KZ has done this in the past, ZS5v1 and v2 being the example, but this time they might have changed stuff in terms of crossover and how loud the BAs are - very hard to detect on a massive scale obviously. This is speculation on my part. I guess the proof would be to get gray version and compare it to earliest of green ones.
it would be interesting a zs6v2

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #25,241 of 64,232
First Impressions of ZS6:

Sounds like hot garbage. Built very well. Will update at the 7 day mark.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #25,242 of 64,232
I think that's the cable I prefer more than the silver color one. Here is a link to the KZ store, you can find cheaper ones elsewhere.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...r-Headset-Silver-Plated-Wire/32833176861.html

For some reason I get a link to the German version of product listings when I click an AliExpress link on here. Anybody have any idea why?

Also I'm now getting some weird auto correct issue when typing the first word of a new paragraph.

Haha yeah I cut the memory wire and rubber out. They're now soo much easier to put on, and also easier to keep in my pockets now.

If you're afraid of cutting the wires, may i suggest just making a small snip at the ends of the rubber wrap, then slowly peel them down until you reach the wire. Once you do, hold the wire with one hand, and everything else on the other, and tearing that rubber apart is like a breeze. Snip off the wire at the end if you cant get them out, and peel/cut the rubber whichever works for you.

Is it preferable to get rid of the memory wire? It does annoy me at times, but I'm wondering what the opinions of others are, of whether it is a better experience to not have them. Also I'm assuming that upgrade cable fits cleanly into the ZS6s with no issues? I'm not sure how much I'm liking the silver triple braid not going all the way on properly and don't know if I feel like cutting away the plastic.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #25,243 of 64,232
After more listening tests between ZS5 V1's vs V2's, I can definitely say that they are totally different earphones. I mean totally different sounding. The main difference as most have noted is that the V2 has a lot of upper end, and for me, too much of a good thing can be bad. It seriously needs EQ, padding, etc. although it has so much etch to it, you can use it to analyze sounds. But be prepared for sibillance. Sibillance usually rears it head for drivers with peaks in the 10kHz to 12kHz range. VS2 is sibilant. V1's sound more muted but closer well balanced.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #25,244 of 64,232
For some reason I get a link to the German version of product listings when I click an AliExpress link on here. Anybody have any idea why?

Also I'm now getting some weird auto correct issue when typing the first word of a new paragraph.

Is it preferable to get rid of the memory wire? It does annoy me at times, but I'm wondering what the opinions of others are, of whether it is a better experience to not have them. Also I'm assuming that upgrade cable fits cleanly into the ZS6s with no issues? I'm not sure how much I'm liking the silver triple braid not going all the way on properly and don't know if I feel like cutting away the plastic.

I cant say for everyone but personally, the cable is very light and feels much more natural without the memory wire wearing over-ear. Also, looks better.

It has also saved me so much effort and time constantly adjusting the memory wire every listening session to get it to hook down properly.

And you dont ever have to worry bending them out of place when keeping them in pockets and then having to bend them back afterwards. I would not buy another cable if it has a memory wire that i cannot remove.

That being said, plenty of people are rocking on memory wires, so I'm sure theres something good going on for them in it! If you feel like the memory wire is causing you nuisance or hate fiddling and adjusting before every listening session, consider going wireless (no pun intended)! It is really simple to do. I have clumsy fingers and have never modded any IEMs or headphones but the moment i received the cable, i went straight to town on it with just a pair of small full- metal scissors. Easy as pie. Just make sure your scissors are small!

A trimmer like this will do the job (i did it with something even bigger, but as long as the very ends are slim, you're good to go):
SC202Sb__18157.1410697240.451.416.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #25,245 of 64,232
You do know that both IEMs have got totally different sound signatures, don't you?
To be honest I don't. I'm looking into my first hifi system so I didn't want to spend much time looking into some cheap iems. I just saw that both have great imaging and clarity but that the RE 400 might re thinner sounding... If you could give me some better info about it I'd appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back