Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #25,202 of 63,962
Yes, ZS6 > ZS5, especially if used with foam tips. Good thing I waited for the ZS6 to be released after it was announced, as I'm really eyeing into buying the ZS5 around the time ZS6 was announced. ZS6 beats ZS5 on almost everything, especially on build quality and color choices (I think that already goes without saying, as the ZS6 has a metal shell compared to ZS5's plastic). Good things come to those who wait, indeed.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #25,203 of 63,962
So guys... I spent some time with my 'precious' Andromeda look like ZS6:blush:.
So... where do i have to start...
Donno... lets start at the Eivind Aarset and his '1998' Électronique Noire. First tones of the Dark Moisture and... I have never heard so bassy ear/head phones ever in my life... (i know... you have to say... you are living very limited life dude). After about a minute of the intense bass pumpin' everything else appears... beautiful mids and crystal clear highs. And them Entrance / U-Bahn and beloved Lost and Found... So enjoyable and fun to listen to. Maybe I let myself be carried away... in the beginning... I just love the album.
Next John Coltrane - Blue trane... Another beloved album... And Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain... Fabolous separation of the each instrument. Every instrument had perfect contour and very accurate tonality. When KZ's producing and manifacturing their ZS6's they tune them listening these jazz albums... Absolutely perfect.
ZS6's are just perfect to listen to any kind of jazz.
Another step... Pop...Madonna - Immaculate collection... I wanna highlight especially Vogue... Great impact, great flow of the music and... what next... nothing... it's just POP. In the good way
After that Lionel Richie - Best of... Back to front (K2HD Mastring)... Do it to me... great. My destiny, All night long long ... bla bla bla... and then Dancing on the Ceiling... jeeez Treble canon... (Yes... on some track ZS6's are a little bit harsh and sibilant) only for 4 minutes. And then it came... Hello... I was like butter on the hot toast... No i'm not gay... Perfect in every way... (especially Lionel's voice).
Another one Adele - 25. And another Hello... Perfectness... Her voice is like a bucket full of honey. Send my love... Another great one. Good album... Again just a POP :blush:.
I listened some other pop/dance albums Coldplay, Elvis Prestley, Justin Timberlake, The KLF, Royksopp, George Michael... and... Some artist was a little bit... difficult to listen to... You know what i mean George M... (Your piercing T and Ssssssss).
Hip-Hop/Rap/Black music... A tribe called quest, Arrested development, De la soul, Bill Withers, D'Angelo (great voice he have), Maxwell (another great male voice), Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Marvin Gaye, Jurrasic 5, etc...
For the bass heads... yes they are for you... as a bonus you will get great clarity... What for in the Hip-Hop... Hmm...
Classical... Puccini, Vivaldi (His 4 seasons... Oh my...), Smetata (My country), Dvořák (Symphony Nr.9), even Recomposed Vivaldis 4 seasons from Max Richter... Awesomeness. Superb soundstage, imaging, layering, instrument separation... Perfect... Talking about 30dollar multi driver IEM.

I could continue with rock, (AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Beatles, CCR, DMB, CSNY, DM, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf) depending on quality of the mastering... As better the mastering quality as better ZS6's sounds.

They are superb allrounder (but they can play absolutely the best jazz and classical music) and for me THE BEST KZ'S TO THE DATE.

My new daily driver... My new 'precious'... And finally... In green they looks hell of a great.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #25,204 of 63,962
Just ordered the ZS6 + the high quality upgrade cable just for some extra rugged feeling, and the fluffin memory wire in the KZ silver cable bothers me to no end even after it's been removed and trimmed at the two pin connector side.

Will behere later today. I'll probably write an initial review tomorrow. Curious to see if these are really piercing high flamethrowers, or if it's just another one of those "Reeee ZST bad because it's bright and detailed". Hopefully it's the ZS5 and more.

If not, hey, it's Amazon I'll get my money back if they're as bad as a lot make them out to be. ZS5v1's continue to impess.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #25,205 of 63,962
Yes, ZS6 > ZS5, especially if used with foam tips. Good thing I waited for the ZS6 to be released after it was announced, as I'm really eyeing into buying the ZS5 around the time ZS6 was announced. ZS6 beats ZS5 on almost everything, especially on build quality and color choices (I think that already goes without saying, as the ZS6 has a metal shell compared to ZS5's plastic). Good things come to those who wait, indeed.

God dammnit...Now I have to get one ='(

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #25,206 of 63,962
I can't find it, but I recall someone mentioned that a Headfier had sanded down some edges on their ZS5 to make them more comfortable...is there a write up on it? How sandable are the ZS5?

Don't know who it was, but it's an admirable job for sure.

sanded_dowm_edges.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #25,207 of 63,962
Donno... lets start at the Eivind Aarset and his '1998' Électronique Noire. First tones of the Dark Moisture and... I have never heard so bassy ear/head phones ever in my life... (i know... you have to say... you are living very limited life dude). After about a minute of the intense bass pumpin' everything else appears... beautiful mids and crystal clear highs. And them Entrance / U-Bahn and beloved Lost and Found... So enjoyable and fun to listen to. Maybe I let myself be carried away... in the beginning... I just love the album.
Next John Coltrane - Blue trane... Another beloved album... And Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain... Fabolous separation of the each instrument. Every instrument had perfect contour and very accurate tonality. When KZ's producing and manifacturing their ZS6's they tune them listening these jazz albums... Absolutely perfect.
Another step... Pop...Madonna - Immaculate collection... I wanna highlight especially Vogue... Great impact, great flow of the music and... what next... nothing... it's just POP. In the good way
After that Lionel Richie - Best of... Back to front (K2HD Mastring)... Do it to me... great. My destiny, All night long long ... bla bla bla... and then Dancing on the Ceiling... jeeez Treble canon... (Yes... on some track ZS6's are a little bit harsh and sibilant) only for 4 minutes. And then it came... Hello... I was like butter on the hot toast... No i'm not gay... Perfect in every way... (especially Lionel's voice).
Another one Adele - 25. And another Hello... Perfectness... Her voice is like a bucket full of honey. Send my love... Another great one. Good album... Again just a POP :blush:.
I listened some other pop/dance albums Coldplay, Elvis Prestley, Justin Timberlake, The KLF, Royksopp, George Michael... and... Some artist was a little bit... difficult to listen to... You know what i mean George M... (Your piercing T and Ssssssss).
Hip-Hop/Rap/Black music... A tribe called quest, Arrested development, De la soul, Bill Withers, D'Angelo (great voice he have), Maxwell (another great male voice), Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Marvin Gaye, Jurrasic 5, etc...
For the bass heads... yes they are for you... as a bonus you will get great clarity... What for in the Hip-Hop... Hmm...
Classical... Puccini, Vivaldi (His 4 seasons... Oh my...), Smetata (My country), Dvořák (Symphony Nr.9), even Recomposed Vivaldis 4 seasons from Max Richter... Awesomeness. Superb soundstage, imaging, layering, instrument separation... Perfect... Talking about 30dollar multi driver IEM.

I could continue with rock, (AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Beatles, CCR, DMB, CSNY, DM, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf) depending on quality of the mastering... As better the mastering quality as better ZS6's sounds.

They are superb allrounder (but they can play absolutely the best jazz and classical music) and for me THE BEST KZ'S TO THE DATE.

My new daily driver... My new 'precious'... And finally... In green they looks hell of a great.

Love your enthusiasm. I'm going to get a pair.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #25,208 of 63,962
I can't remember if this was posted here already, but KZ has discontinued the green ZS6 (likely due to pressure from 'a 3rd party').

So if you have been on the fence about them, pick a set up while there's still time.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #25,209 of 63,962
Well, I'm glad I got my green set when I did.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #25,210 of 63,962
I ended up with two green ones as one came in a gearbest lucky bag. The second ones went to my wife

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #25,211 of 63,962
I can't remember if this was posted here already, but KZ has discontinued the green ZS6 (likely due to pressure from 'a 3rd party').

So if you have been on the fence about them, pick a set up while there's still time.

Yeah I think we saw that coming. Maybe they will introduce a new color...how about deep purple?

I love the shade of green they used. Happy to have mine.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #25,213 of 63,962

Yep, truth... I was trying to get antoher pair from Jim's NiceHCK on the 11.11. He PM me later that those green are not available and they not will be anymore since KZ's stop to manufacturing them... He offered me a grey one instead. I was refuse it to wrote him that i have a nice pair of a ZS5's.
EDIT: He really offered the green one on 11.11.
EDIT 2: It's really, really hard to find green one it these days

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #25,214 of 63,962
I just measured the impedance vs frequency on my ZS5v1 and v2's. As far as I am concerned, it is a totally different earphone. The base impedance as mentioned earlier is about 5ohms on v1 and 15ohms on the v2. There appears to be different phase response and peaks where there used to be a dip in the impedance. One easy explantion of the low 5ohm impedance is consistent with statement that all four drivers are wired in parallel. For nominal 16ohm drivers four in parallel is about 4ohms. If the v2 has a crossover, each driver is now part of an overall crossover circuit so the overall impedance can be tuned for a nominal 14-16ohm value. This should be easier to drive with some amps that cannot handle 4ohm loads.

Typo on labels below green is v1, blue is V2 (lower set of curves). Upper set is phase.
KZ-ZS5-v1-v2-compare-impedance.png

I am finally starting to listen to them now. Driving with my XRKaudio NHB amp. I immediately feel that they are a totally different sounding phone. There seems to immediately apparent reduction in coherence. This is sometimes an issue on speakers with crossovers where the phase relationaships are not well aligned. Sometimes called "phasiness" - I will listen more but my first 10min with them is already problematic. Reminiscent of when cable polarity is backwards on one of the phones. But I checked cable connectors and the rounded end is correctly oriented.

But maybe really should reserve any judgements until I listen for a few days. It could just be the very bright presentation. Definitely more highs.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #25,215 of 63,962

Given the famous treble harshness of the ZS6, didn't Miles Davis' trumpet sound too shrilling at times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back