Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #24,782 of 63,907
Yeah I get that the Q1 mark II has better output when balanced but then buying balanced cable that cost more than my iem itself I just can't justify that. Even if I end up going balanced it future I would probably just end up diying the cable I just don't get why are they so expensive they just have their ground cable separated right?
Technically it's not a ground in a balanced setup unless you're using even more points of connection than a 2.5mm TRRS - in 4 wire balanced both lines are hot and driven in opposition. :p

Don't see why you couldn't re-terminate a KZ upgrade cable as it appears to be a 4 wire run, though I admit I've not tried.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #24,783 of 63,907
Thanks! :)
I was at the end of my rope on both the ZS5v.2 and my ZS6..
It was mainly the sounds of cymbals that drove me crazy.. Especially Hi-Hats (on many recordings) sounding like "CCcCccHhHhHhtTtTtTSSssSSsT!!!!" lol!
They still are a bit harsh but at least it's not as loud as before.

Anyway, from what I've heard; the v.1 doesn't seem to have the sibilance that the v.2 (and ZS6) seem to have.

But it all depends on the music you listen too, how your ears work, etc etc.

However, -If- you are really frustrated with your ZS6's10k highs, then you might want to try a simple mod that is easily undoable.

Just get some thin foam (the thicker the foam, the more highs it will cut, too thick will cut mid treble and volume) cut it into a little disc that is just slightly over the size of the nozzle on your foam ear tips..
{The disc doesn't have to be perfectly round}
Then just stuff it all the way down into the ear tip until it sits on the metal screens of the ZS6's nozzles.
Just make sure it's slightly over sized so it doesn't fall out into your ears! lol!
I check mine every once in a while as well to make sure they are still seated well in there..
[***EDIT: ONLY do this if you use memory foam tips... The memory foam seems to grip the little foam discs so they don't fall out in your ears..Silicone & rubber tips are probably not safe for this kind of mod.]

I have actually been a professional stringed instrument (guitar, bass, cello, violin, etc) builder for more then 35 years, so I'm pretty comfortable with this kind of stuff.. (If you want to see one of my creations, just look at my profile/avatar pic) :)
That is one gorgeous looking guitar build. Jaw dropping, really.
I don't mind the treble spike, I kind of require it due to years of standing next to rock and metal drummers, as well as running sound for loud bands for years. I wish we had IEMs back in the day...

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #24,784 of 63,907
Never got the glossies so I can't say but they sure look sweet:wink: So Coil I've been searching KZ on AliEx and cannot seem to find this HD9, can you send me a link? THX
One GB seller has glossy ones according to buyer comments and pics. Don`t know which one should I take?

HD9 is available here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...phones-For-Running-With-Foam/32337313320.html

....but sellers description is weird, if not 100% wrong and just for advertising (ATR driver is certainly different driver than ATE - not just looks difference according to seller).
Seller describes HD9 as "Entry level" IEM and ATE as "higher tier" hi-fi IEM.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #24,785 of 63,907
They are both cables advertised for the ZST (ie with the bent 90-degree ZST plugs at the 2-pin ends).

The one I’m using on the ZS5 and ZS6 is the one with the silver aluminum 2-pin plugs where people chop off the translucent plastic tips to get them to fit flush on the ZS5 and ZS6. It also has a straight silver aluminum 3.5mm plug, not the molded 90-degree rubbery plug you usually see on all of the other KZ cables. And yes it’s braided with 6 individual wires, with what appears to be braided shielding on each individual wire. An absolutely beautiful cable and cheap price for what you get.

Here's a photo:

I just got my silver braided cable today. Before I was using the standard KZ silver upgrade cable. Both the original cable and the KZ upgrade cable tangled for me. Not as badly as another set of IEMs that I swear has a cable that's been formed to immediately tangle into knots as soon as either end is disconnected.

The braided cable is very nice. Sits well. I used it for a half hour in cable down style just to see what sort of microphonics it had. The answer: hardly any. I've since been using it over ear and I'm liking it, lots.

I just got the Fiio Q1 mk II which has balanced output and I thought I'd see what all the hype was using the ZS6 since I'm pretty happy with their sound. But the price of balanced cables is crazy. So I was thinking. I can get a 4 pole 2.5mm plug for just a few bucks and another one of these cables for 10 bucks. Seems like just a few minutes and I'll have a balanced cable for under 15 bucks. I've checked this cable and it is indeed just a pair of braided individual pair cables that split into their separate singly braided cables to each ear. So its just a few seconds with a multimeter to determine left ground from right ground and I'm in business. No? Or am I missing some magic about balanced cables?

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #24,786 of 63,907
That is one gorgeous looking guitar build. Jaw dropping, really.
I don't mind the treble spike, I kind of require it due to years of standing next to rock and metal drummers, as well as running sound for loud bands for years. I wish we had IEMs back in the day...

Thanks man! :)
I have chopped a LOT of wood in my day I guess.

Ugh! Yeah, I hear you man... Metal/Rock drummers can be brutal that way.. :metal:

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #24,788 of 63,907
you can use a sewing needle, thumb tack, or safety pin to check the vent hole

Punching through the fabric and glue clog with a relatively thin sewing needle

I just wanted to thank you for the help, it worked wonders. I used a really thin beading needle and had to punch a few holes in the mesh.
Funny thing is that it didn't really seem to affect sound (not to an extent that I could notice anyway), the flex on the other hand is completely gone now.

The more I listen to them, the more I like the ES3s! Very pleasing signature, despite it's flaws (I notice a slight grain in the mid-range and the general refinement could be better), for the price it's an excellent pair of earphones.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #24,790 of 63,907
Just tried using the same foam tips on my ES3, and it still has the recessed highs and mids

Yeah, I tried my Complys on them and didn't like the sound. They affected the treble response the most, stick with the silicone for these (I found that the best for me are either diy-hybrids or regular but stiffer than average).
I'd guess that the mid-range technically is recessed but I don't really find it distant or muted, the ZS6 in comparison feels more forward and energetic. Like I said, I love them for it but at times it comes off a tad bit unnatural to me.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #24,792 of 63,907
From NiceHCK's twitter:

DOBB8-jUEAAD6gV.jpg:large

He says that they are 1DD+2BA.

Nov 7, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #24,795 of 63,907
Yeah, I tried my Complys on them and didn't like the sound. They affected the treble response the most, stick with the silicone for these (I found that the best for me are either diy-hybrids or regular but stiffer than average).
Yep. The stock KZ star tips are still best suited for the ES3. BTW, seems like burning-in the ES3 for a few hours was worth it. Dunno if it's just placebo effect, but the bass is now more pronounced, compared to the anemic bass I heard when I used it for the first time.
From NiceHCK's twitter:

DOBB8-jUEAAD6gV.jpg:large

He says that they are 1DD+2BA.
I'm digging the red one. I like everything in red. Nice to see KZ having red in their color options, just like they did with the ZS6. Would like to see more KZ IEMs that have red as an option. The only thing I don't like is their choice of font for Left/Right. The one on ZS3 is tolerable IMO, but this one on ZSR....ugh. It looks sooooooo tacky and gaudy.

Also, judging from that pic, is the shell design for ZSR similar to ZS3? If so, then I might take a stab at this one when it's out. XD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back