Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 19, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #17,716 of 63,914
Hmm vocals wise, what's better? ZS3, ATE, ZST, ED12 or ZS5? I listen to a lot of anime songs that are female vocal heavy.
I'm inclined to go with Slater on this the ZST is my go to vocal (especially female) KZ:wink: Jury is still out on the ZS5 until I get mine, of course I'm old school KZ and even with all the new releases you have here and I have them all my second vocal KZ is the venerable ED9's followed by ATR. (Keep in mind this is just based on how I hear them) YMMV

May 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #17,717 of 63,914
KS5 with silver cable ordered, now to wait the 20-40 days for them to arrive in the UK...

May 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #17,718 of 63,914
May 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #17,719 of 63,914
Anyone have any conclusion on the ZS5? Been away from the CIEM scene for awhile because I was busy but then I chanced upon the ZS5 and it got me interested. I've tried the ZS3 and the ZST but I prefer the ZS3 so I was wondering how the ZS5 sounds like.

Also, what is this ZSR Pro that I keep seeing around the threads?

May 20, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #17,720 of 63,914
Does anyone know if the ZS5 has a crossover. I've seen no mention of it.

No crossover, here's ZS5 guts
DAMR3AVUwAA9hNe.jpg

Attachments

• DAMR3AVUwAA9hNe.jpg
    DAMR3AVUwAA9hNe.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
May 20, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #17,721 of 63,914
May 20, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #17,722 of 63,914
Anyone have any conclusion on the ZS5? Been away from the CIEM scene for awhile because I was busy but then I chanced upon the ZS5 and it got me interested. I've tried the ZS3 and the ZST but I prefer the ZS3 so I was wondering how the ZS5 sounds like.

Also, what is this ZSR Pro that I keep seeing around the threads?
ZSR Pro is supposed to be the next iem after the ZS5

@slaterlovesspam @pm2lp I see thanks for the clarification

May 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #17,724 of 63,914
Btw, I'm an Audiologist, we have hearing aids with SPLs reaching 150dB and I never heard anything related to eardrum injures, this IEMs don't even get close to that.

So when using them on the stage, one doesn't have to worry if they volume is set too loud before adjusting it?

May 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #17,726 of 63,914
May 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #17,727 of 63,914
So I saw the ZS3 mod posted in here a bit ago. Got around to measuring the differences. Honestly, don't feel the mod does enough to make the ZS3 a whole lot better, but that's just my subjective experience. My initial experiences with the ZS3 were quite positive, but as time went on they didn't do a whole lot for me. Too warm and too much mid-bass bloat. Unfortunately the measurements really didn't show a huge improvement other than the spikes being exaggerated for the most part. Sine sweep and further listening backs this up. I only did the left ear as I want to save the right ear for when I get my microphones to work on REW or ARTA. Currently waiting for an adapter to come in the post until I can do so. Be skeptical about the measurements. I have quite a few reservations about these measurements on android. The drop off at 63hz is really quite weird. This is probably why the midbass warmth doesnt really show up in the measurements. Crinacle also noted that android measurements do seem to be a bit weird too. Hopefully more clarification should come once I measure on desktop. I'm just using a Dayton Audio iMM-6 with the stock individual "correction curve" for the mics. Not sure if I should go about adding my own curve, but we'll see. Any input would be cool.

Here's the actual measurement:
3Naogz6.jpg

Blue is modded, white is stock.
Stock tips were used. I personally don't like the stock tips, but I also don't like most tips other than wide bore double flange tips. Just my weird ears. They don't measure a whole lot different with those tips either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #17,729 of 63,914
Hello forum.

I'm a owner of KZ ZS3 and ZST. I bought this week the KZ5 model without mic, no silver cable (It will take a month to arrive to Spain). Time ago I bought silver cable to ZS3, but I did not like the new sound, less bass and more sparkly.

I have several questions:

1- Is the gold cable better than silver? In terms of midrange/treble clarity without losing bass.
2- Is the ZST cable compatible with ZS5 model? I found ZST gold cable in AE, but no the ZS5 gold cable option.
3- Has ZS5 the enhanced bass of ZST and the vocals of ZS3? I don't like vocals on ZST, IMO I think they are unnatural, but I love ZS3 mid section.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back