Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #16,142 of 64,386
IMO, the ED9 is not very good.

- You get an aggressive "V" sound curve.
- Mids sound recessed. Music sounds thin and dry.
- Exaggerated treble leads to the illusion of clarity and airyness.
- Exaggerated boomy bass gives the illusion of deeper bass

IMO the ED7 >>>> ED9

You get a warmer, fuller sound without shenanigans with the treble and bass

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #16,143 of 64,386

IMO the ED7 >>>> ED9

How about ed10 and ed11?

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #16,144 of 64,386
What are the difference in sound between ATE and ED9? ED9 seems a better choice since over ear in-ear is a bit a hassle for me to put on.

I bought all of the KZ. Was not impressed by a single one. Will post more explanatory review soon.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #16,145 of 64,386

IMO the ED7 >>>> ED9

I haven't listened to the ED7 so I can't comment on that but you need to specify which filter you are talking about when you describe things like "Mids sound recessed" or "Exaggerated treble" because depending on what filter you have on  the ED9 at the time either of those statements will sound absurd. The ED9 is like having two earphones with immensely different sound characteristics into one.

The only criticism you made which I agree with is that it can be exaggeratedly boomy with the bass filter on, but then again, just as it is a weakness it's also a strength for it can make some music sound very fun.

The response is V-shaped, but "aggressively" I think is something that is up to debate.

The mids are recessed, but not to the extent which you described them, at least with the bass filter.

The treble is not exaggerated in my opinion, other KZ earphones like the ZST are much easier to criticize for their exaggerated treble than the ED9.

But if you want something that sounds more balanced than the ED9 why not get the ZS3? That's a much more popular and well regarded KZ earphone and one that can be recommended more easily.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #16,146 of 64,386

IMO the ED7 >>>> ED9

You should mention "with gold filters" imo 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #16,147 of 64,386
Look, I used the short filters on the ED9s because the long ones were too long!

It made the earphones stick out of my ears at an uncomfortable length.

Gold VS Brass? I don't know what you're referring to and I have a Bsc. in Geology.

The only KZ earphones I own are the ED7 and ED9. I am perfectly content with the ED7. I will not purchase more IEMs in the near future (until my ED7s break, I am reckless with my gear).

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #16,148 of 64,386
Look, I used the short filters on the ED9s because the long ones were too long!

It made the earphones stick out of my ears at an uncomfortable length.

Gold VS Brass? I don't know what you're referring to and I have a Bsc. in Geology.

The only KZ earphones I own are the ED7 and ED9. I am perfectly content with the ED7. I will not purchase more IEMs in the near future (until my ED7s break, I am reckless with my gear).

The KZ ED9 are very competent earphones. In fact they're actually two very competent earphones in one.

The shorter filter it's oft described as gold, that is the bassier of the two. The longer one has a less polished finish is the brass one. I suspect in reality both are probably made in brass.

Given that the difference in length between the two filters is miniscule you've really missed a lot out with ED9 especially when you consider some of the four points you listed as the ED9's faults are effective addressed by switching to the slightly longer filter.

I think in an earlier discussion we discussed the fact that you are treble sensitive, is that right? Hence your liking of the duller sounding ED7.

I think you should factor this in when making statements about earphones, other people who aren't sensitive wouldn't find the treble of the ED9 to be exaggerated.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #16,149 of 64,386

I think in an earlier discussion we discussed the fact that you are treble sensitive, is that right? Hence your liking of the duller sounding ED7.

I think you should factor this in when making statements about earphones, other people who aren't sensitive wouldn't find the treble of the ED9 to be exaggerated.

Well, I certainly don't want my review to be invalidated because I am treble sensitive. I say that because other people in this thread have complained that the treble on the ED9s is "splashy" or "too much" (said someone listening to a Genesis track).

So...I suppose that we can conclude that each person may review the ED9 differently. I think that we can all agree that the ED9 is bright. This is so evident to me, comparing the ED9s to other headphones I own like the Sennheiser HD558 or Philips SHP9500. And other people who aren't sensitive to treble may also find the treble on the ED9 to be exaggerated. That is a possibility. 

Reading this forum, I am starting to believe that most people are not treble sensitive, but rather treble-seeking (for lack of a better word). I mean, consider all the praise that the ZSTs get. So exaggerated (i.e. increased) treble seems...desirable. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #16,150 of 64,386

Well, I certainly don't want my review to be invalidated because I am treble sensitive. I say that because other people in this thread have complained that the treble on the ED9s is "splashy" or "too much" (said someone listening to a Genesis track).

So...I suppose that we can conclude that each person may review the ED9 differently. I think that we can all agree that the ED9 is bright. This is so evident to me, comparing the ED9s to other headphones I own like the Sennheiser HD558 or Philips SHP9500. And other people who aren't sensitive to treble may also find the treble on the ED9 to be exaggerated. That is a possibility. 

Reading this forum, I am starting to believe that most people are not treble sensitive, but rather treble-seeking (for lack of a better word). I mean, consider all the praise that the ZSTs get. So exaggerated (i.e. increased) treble seems...desirable. 

It's the use of the word 'exaggerated', it makes it sound like the ED9 is a bad earphone, it isn't, it's just on the brighter side. I can easily name 5 that are brighter.

Exaggerate - to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately

Off topic

Weirdly, I found the Philips SHP9500 too bright at times.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #16,153 of 64,386
Seriously? That's probably the most stupid statement I've read on these forums. 

LOL, I'm still reeling from the ED9 is a bad iem comment myself. As an overall iem (especially with the two filter option) and imho the ED9 is and always has been one of KZ's best:smiley: Now with that said we all do hear our iem's differently and YMMV:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #16,154 of 64,386
I know I am probably not making a case for myself.

But I had a negative reaction to the ED9. I thought I would share. And it turns out that some people agree that the shorter filters (gold, it's brass with a different finish. Don't call a dog a whale) have boosted treble & bass.

The longer filters cause me fitting issues, where the earphones fall out more frequently because of the longer length.

I will say that I am not the most eloquent poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back