Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #15,586 of 63,916
i enjoy the ZST more than the Havi on my Xduoo player... ZST sounded more spacious..more lively.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #15,588 of 63,916
I am of the opposite opinion. I think it's worth investing first in as good source hardware as one can afford and only then begin the earphone upgrade/sidegrade game starting with cheap ones in order not to waste too much money finding one's preferred signature/tonal balance. This way your source is not the quality bottleneck (at least for a while) and you are in a position in where, unlike many here, you can actually judge and fully appreciate sound quality differences between tiers.

That's good in practice, but it seems like a hard thing to achieve: finding the right player for one's budget. Sure, it's harder to find the right sound of headphones, but everyone seems to love their music player, whatever brand it is. 

I just bought a Benjie S5 but wish I purchased a Colorful C3, not just because of the name but because now I realize people seem to like the Colorful C3 more. 

However, Benjie S5 has a more active HeadFi forum, so I bought that one... Not a huge loss, only $28.00 vs. the $200+ I spent in headphones. Lol.

I might be the craziest for the perfect budget sound. :wink:

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #15,589 of 63,916
So does that mean ZST has a better presentation of sound? Cause I checked on the Havi and they are routed to be neutral with a slight bass tilt. I prefer more v-shaped sound.

The attack of the notes on the Havi is slightly more rounded/honeyed..can be v pleasant for latenite destressing.
Zst sounded more "real" to my ears..more spacious/dispersed/immersed..taller...
Probably more "being there"?
(Using Laura Fygi 's voice for a quick compare :p)

Bass-wise..both are on par as to quantity..

Dun shoot me Havilovers...i aint tat good at describing sound..haa

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #15,590 of 63,916
Purchased the kz atr. It cost me what a big Mac meal with large fries would.

I've poopooed the budget phones since getting into this hobby. These iems are fantastic for the price. They compete directly with the aurisonics forte (not a very good iem at all, can't even sell for 1/4 price, but still...). The have smidge of clarity and decent bass depth, but the one aspect that makes them truly stand out is the layering. No budget headphone I've tried at this point layers well at well, but these hint at it, for $8!

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #15,591 of 63,916
$8?  More like $4 if you know where to look.  Really impressive for the price, nevertheless.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #15,594 of 63,916
Jan 23, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #15,595 of 63,916
I just got the ATE's. Pre-burn in impression: bad, really bad. Headache bad.
I am coming from the OSTRY KC06 and Takstar 2050's.
The ATE's have more bass than both, and that is the only thing that may be better or worse, depending on what you want.
Highs and Mids on the ATE's are pushed back, sounding muddy, comparing to the other two.
So far: ATE < 2050 < KC06.
I will update after burn-in.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #15,596 of 63,916
finally got my kzts and did some initial listening. otob, they show two noteworthy qualities--first, isolation is exceptional, like being buried in a crypt. second, they have very good layering/instrument separation across a very wide stage. tonally (without extensive burn-in), pretty impressive--substantially more high end extension and detail than the zs3 and well tuned, tight bass. very preliminarily, these do seem like quite a step forward for kz--will lock in to more defintive impressions with further listening.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #15,597 of 63,916
  finally got my kzts and did some initial listening. otob, they show two noteworthy qualities--first, isolation is exceptional, like being buried in a crypt. second, they have very good layering/instrument separation across a very wide stage. tonally (without extensive burn-in), pretty impressive--substantially more high end extension and detail than the zs3 and well tuned, tight bass. very preliminarily, these do seem like quite a step forward for kz--will lock in to more defintive impressions with further listening.

That what has been most impressive about them for me. A nice step above everything else KZ currently offers in that regard especially.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #15,598 of 63,916

Which ZSTs did you get? The purple or original ones? The last time I demoed original ones the treble was around the same as ZS3 but much poorer bass control. Thinking whether to give them a shot again...

Quote:
I am of the opposite opinion. I think it's worth investing first in as good source hardware as one can afford and only then begin the earphone upgrade/sidegrade game starting with cheap ones in order not to waste too much money finding one's preferred signature/tonal balance. This way your source is not the quality bottleneck (at least for a while) and you are in a position in where, unlike many here, you can actually judge and fully appreciate sound quality differences between tiers.

Haha that is why now I am on a Shanling M1 and can't afford to do anything major on my IEMs....

That what has been most impressive about them for me. A nice step above everything else KZ currently offers in that regard especially.

Looking forward to that Fiio F1 review you have in that signature :wink:

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #15,600 of 63,916

Looking forward to that Fiio F1 review you have in that signature :wink:

It'll likely be a few more weeks before I get to that review. Archeer due this Friday, Audbos the following week, and then FiiO the next. 

That said, if you want to know anything about them in the meantime feel free to PM any questions. Just keep in mind that I've only put a few hours on them so I haven't really formulated much of an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back