Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #15,451 of 63,916
  I don't think my ED3c are comfortable. But i haven't really listened much to them since i didn't like the sound.

The HDS1 is better than HDS3 to me, the HDS3 is lacking in clarity and highs compared to HDS1.
There are some positive reviews for HDS3 though, so you might want to try them anyway, since they cost $5 or so at gearbest...
I'm not sure where to find the best price from a reliable seller for the HDS1 now since gearbest don't have them anymore/right now.

you might want to check out joyroom e107 as well, i've read that they are small and comfortable

HDS1 is a good option.

@KcLKcL None of the ED3 variants are micro-drivers so they don't really fit the request. The only micro-drivers KZ currently makes are the HDS1/2/3. The rest are all 7mm and up or pair a micro 6mm with a larger driver (ZS1/2 and DT5 for example). 

My micro-driver thread has a bunch of inexpensive options listed and could be helpful; http://www.head-fi.org/t/817426/micro-driver-madness-work-in-progress. I'd recommend the VJJB K2S. Highly overlooked little earphone around here imo.

Obviously those impressions are all from one person (me), so look around for more reviews/impressions if any of them are of interest. Will be updating with the E107, Remax 565i and some others when they eventually make their way to Canada.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #15,452 of 63,916
Something EDSE tier or better on Gearbest around the $5 range. I'll have to stuff another IEM into my order.

Scratch this, I wanted to give a gift, but I decided to just grab an extra ED10 in my group buy.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #15,453 of 63,916
HDS1 is a good option.

@KcLKcL
 None of the ED3 variants are micro-drivers so they don't really fit the request. The only micro-drivers KZ currently makes are the HDS1/2/3. The rest are all 7mm and up or pair a micro 6mm with a larger driver (ZS1/2 and DT5 for example). 

My micro-driver thread has a bunch of inexpensive options listed and could be helpful; http://www.head-fi.org/t/817426/micro-driver-madness-work-in-progress. I'd recommend the VJJB K2S. Highly overlooked little earphone around here imo.

Obviously those impressions are all from one person (me), so look around for more reviews/impressions if any of them are of interest. Will be updating with the E107, Remax 565i and some others when they eventually make their way to Canada.

Based on your review.. I guess the HDS1 sounds more like ATR/ATE and HDS3 sounds more like ZS3?

I didn't like the Brainwavz Omega, your review is pretty much correct, it lacks a wow factor to me, a V shaped soundsig but for me it lacks the energy. Not analytical enough yet not fun enough.

Would you think HDS1 would be better than Brainwavz Omega? I sold my Omega already.

Maybe let's say I don't really need a micro driver, all I need is a good sound and comfort. How good is the ED3c in those aspect, actually?

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #15,454 of 63,916
Based on your review.. I guess the HDS1 sounds more like ATR/ATE and HDS3 sounds more like ZS3?

I didn't like the Brainwavz Omega, your review is pretty much correct, it lacks a wow factor to me, a V shaped soundsig but for me it lacks the energy. Not analytical enough yet not fun enough.

Would you think HDS1 would be better than Brainwavz Omega? I sold my Omega already.

Maybe let's say I don't really need a micro driver, all I need is a good sound and comfort. How good is the ED3c in those aspect, actually?

I think the HDS1's general tone is more in line with the ATE/ATR/ZS3 but more balanced/neutral and less colored. The HDS3 is more v-shaped like most of the ED series stuff but not quite to the same extent.

I would take the HDS1 over the Omega any day. The Omega was okay but it was lacking that special something.

I found the ED3c very comfortable. It's quite light compared to most of KZ's older stuff; aluminum housing and whatnot. I found the long somewhat slender nozzle kinda awkward for tip rolling though. The RX might be the better pick actually; link. Similar sound but with a bit more treble energy for the "wow factor". Nozzle is a traditional shape/size and I find the fit more secure. Better cable too. It's an oldie but a goodie. Kinda underrated/underappreciated imo.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #15,455 of 63,916

I had the hds1, i can say its sounds similar with ATE, except the bass in ATE has much more presence and boomier. The mids and highs are similar

Ed3m is one of the least comfortable KZ I've tried, the housing feels big and bulky, the nozzles too long and its really hard to keep it in my ear, if it weren't for the good sound it has(mild v shape, or u-shape idk about the terminology. Very fun sound), i would give it away to someone already.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #15,456 of 63,916
I don't know what signature type it's the best for me.
I listen a lot to Electronic music (Bjork, The XX, Massive Attack) and also some pop and ambient music.
If it can help I love the signature of my old JVC HA-S400.
i mean by the genre you listened to, you should buy zs3 because zs3 has wide soundstage and bass heavy iem.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #15,457 of 63,916
I don't think my ED3c are comfortable. But i haven't really listened much to them since i didn't like the sound.

The HDS1 is better than HDS3 to me, the HDS3 is lacking in clarity and highs compared to HDS1.
There are some positive reviews for HDS3 though, so you might want to try them anyway, since they cost $5 or so at gearbest...
I'm not sure where to find the best price from a reliable seller for the HDS1 now since gearbest don't have them anymore/right now.

you might want to check out joyroom e107 as well, i've read that they are small and comfortable
my bad for recommendation of ed3acme i don't have the iem so can't listen want the sound should like.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #15,458 of 63,916
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/7-awesome-last-minute-christmas-gifts-for-music-lovers

Just seen this, the ZST considered the best budget IEMs around at the moment. I am seeing on here the ZS3 recommended over it for bass/electronic music so am wondering how much worse is the ZST in this regard? 

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #15,459 of 63,916
The ZST is amazing. Tho in some recordings the highs can be somewhat harsh (some sharp s sound really sharp), overall I prefer them over the ATR I think. Highs are more present which makes the sound more complete, the atr sounded somewhat muffled after using the ZST for a while.

While the soundsignature of the ATR is less fatiguing, so easier for long sessions, the ZST are ergonomically better for me.

Overall I prefer the zst.. But I also like the ATR a lot.. so why not get both for the dirt cheap price they go for :D

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #15,460 of 63,916
I am seeing on here the ZS3 recommended over it for bass/electronic music so am wondering how much worse is the ZST in this regard? 

I'm in no way an expert. That being said, I'd say the highs are just a tad too present and the bass just slightly less so. For edm and hip-hop I think focus on lows is more important, it's the backbone of the genre I guess. high hats and claps can sound quite sharp if treble is too present.

They say the zs3 has a signature more like the ATR. Better bass and less focus on the highs. The zst are more of an all-rounder I think. Do take into consideration the zst's are, for me, ergonomically better than the ATR. Don't have the zs3 so couldn't say about those!

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #15,461 of 63,916
  https://www.audiophileon.com/news/7-awesome-last-minute-christmas-gifts-for-music-lovers

Just seen this, the ZST considered the best budget IEMs around at the moment. I am seeing on here the ZS3 recommended over it for bass/electronic music so am wondering how much worse is the ZST in this regard? 

The ZST, the ATE and the ZS3 have all been well regarded in that blog and all of them are excellent earphones for different reasons.

The ZS3 has a nice warm V-shaped signature, good build quality and features at a very low price. Very easy to recommend for people that like bassy/electronic music.

The ZST has a W-shaped signature sound very forward and fun sounding while maintaining a surprisingly decent soundstage. They sound and look like earphones that are worth many times their cost.

The ATE are the most neutral of the bunch and have as good or slightly better soundstage than the ZST. They do sound a bit dry with some music, but overall I found them very comfortable and enjoyable and they sit as one of my favorites.

Any of those three are excellent earphones, particularly for their price but they all sound very different from each other and all of them have different shapes, features and characteristics. None of them are objectively worse.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #15,462 of 63,916
My LeEco Le2 has no headphone jack, and while I do have an adapter, and a bluetooth receiver, the most seamless experience for me is using bluetooth IEMS. Since I like Kz, this can be very helpful

Glad to be of help, now lets all hunt for this cables. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

The ZST, the ATE and the ZS3 have all been well regarded in that blog and all of them are excellent earphones for different reasons.

The ZS3 has a nice warm V-shaped signature, good build quality and features at a very low price. Very easy to recommend for people that like bassy/electronic music.

The ZST has a W-shaped signature sound very forward and fun sounding while maintaining a surprisingly decent soundstage. They sound and look like earphones that are worth many times their cost.

The ATE are the most neutral of the bunch and have as good or slightly better soundstage than the ZST. They do sound a bit dry with some music, but overall I found them very comfortable and enjoyable and they sit as one of my favorites.

Any of those three are excellent earphones, particularly for their price but they all sound very different from each other and all of them have different shapes, features and characteristics. None of them are objectively worse.

I 100% agree. My general conclusion for my 3 KZ pairs is ZST for my acoustic, live, instrumental music needs, ZS3 for my hiphop, RnB, EDM tracks, and lastly ATR as my all rounder since they quite sit in between the 2 ZS* models and quite nice for latest pop music. End of debate for me.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #15,463 of 63,916

hds3 sounds nothing like the zs3--the hds3 is much brighter and treble-forward, with a narrower stage and a cirsper note presentation. zs3 is warmer, with more more bass emphasis, bigger sounding and has less treble extension/detail. everyone should own both.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #15,464 of 63,916
Glad to be of help, now lets all hunt for this cables. Can't seem to find them anywhere.
I 100% agree. My general conclusion for my 3 KZ pairs is ZST for my acoustic, live, instrumental music needs, ZS3 for my hiphop, RnB, EDM tracks, and lastly ATR as my all rounder since they quite sit in between the 2 ZS* models and quite nice for latest pop music. End of debate for me.

I searched for 2 pin Bluetooth IEM cable, and nothing. MMCX is easy to find (Albeit more expensive than the IEM itself, lol) but nothing. I COULD use my bluetooth receiver, or my M9 Bluetooth, but really, I like KZs more than the M9.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #15,465 of 63,916
Woot Woot, got my replacement ZN1 Mini's in today (15 year old killed my last pair)! Got the mic version this time and you don't get the garden hose with the mic version but they still have that BOOM bass attack
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back