Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #14,521 of 64,174
Try the other nozzles. The ed9 is not bassy

Yeah, those impressions were with the stock nozzles.  The other set of nozzles for some reason don't seem to let the ear tips seal as well, especially in my right ear.  Didn't like the sound signature of them, but maybe I'll give them another shot.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #14,522 of 64,174
Maybe Your other nozzles (brass ones) has one side "filter" piece inside nozzle not properly placed or fixed? Take a look.
If that isn`t the issue, then try with other tips. ED9 with brass nozzle + little foam piece inside are quite balanced and enjoyable.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #14,523 of 64,174
Some say the ED9 lacks bass, some say it is bassy.
Some say ATR are close to studio monitors, others say they are darker compared to the ED9, yet others say they lack in bass.

I remember a time when ATE were the shizle here, but when I tried them they were muffled.
I also remember the ED3c (Acme) were very recommended here, but sounded to me like a a bass bomb puffing my ear canal with air.
The ZS3 had hype as big the milky way, but quickly died out.

It seems we have the whole rainbow of personal opinions full of hype and bad grammar. 
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #14,524 of 64,174
By the way, I must confess something...have been cheating on my ZST recently...an audio-affair with KINERA BD005, I got them 2 days ago and I like them a lot :smiley:

How does the Kinera compare with the ZST? I've been sort of eyeing these Kinera model, but can't find much info on them as they don't seem to be very popular. If you had to pick, which one would you choose - ZST or BD005?

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #14,525 of 64,174
Some say ATR are close to studio monitors, others say they are darker compared to the ED9, yet others say they lack in bass.

I remember a time when ATE were the shizle here, but when I tried them they were muffled.
I also remember the ED3c (Acme) were very recommended here, but sounded to me like a a bass bomb puffing my ear canal with air.

It seems we have the whole rainbow of personal opinions full of hype and bad grammar.  :wink:

The ed9 is, together with the hds1, of the kzs the closest to neutral. Both are off by a bit though. The zs3 is very enjoyable and so is the Atr, as they sound quite similar. Zs3 isolates more though. At 4 dollars or even less, the Atr is sure the best bang for your bucks but they are not neutral at all. Both are dark, but the Atr is somewhat balanced. Doesn't make them bad though, not at all. I still think it you want studio monitor or reference sound at a tight budget, you should get the Monoprice 8320. They're better than either ed9 or hdsq1, but hey, they're even less bassy

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #14,526 of 64,174

It seems we have the whole rainbow of personal opinions full of hype and bad grammar.  
wink.gif

ED9 opinions are quite mixed because of different nozzles and preferences (and source gear also).
I wouldn`t say ATR are darker than ED9 but more realistic/natural in highs. To my subjective taste though, ED9 highs are somewhat "splashy" and slightly unnatural but that`s due to my personal hearing sensitivity around 6.2-7.5 kHz, that`s why I like ATR refined highs little more.
ED9 has larger soundstage but ATR has more "monitor-like in your face" presentation with average soundstaging.
Anyway, with the price that ATR goes, definitely try them and don`t get "locked" into one IEM 
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #14,527 of 64,174

It seems we have the whole rainbow of personal opinions full of hype and bad grammar
wink.gif

While I don't agree with all your viewpoints, but I will on this one, though
beerchug.gif

IIRC, @CoiL too pointed this (about pages being filled with loads of less objective personal opinions) out few pages back.

I am myself guilty of it sometimes, as English is not the first language for many of us (herein Headfi)

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #14,529 of 64,174
I wouldn`t say ATR are darker than ED9 but more realistic/natural in highs. To my subjective taste though, ED9 highs are somewhat "splashy" and slightly unnatural but that`s due to my personal hearing sensitivity around 6.2-7.5 kHz, that`s why I like ATR refined highs little more.

Thats where ed9 cldnt handle making them bit harsher but its good that it doesnt touche the sibilance territory unlike vsonic and neither are a darker sounding amongst btw.

And it Cld be they left at that point intentionally for the reason not to lose clarity/details and if someone dont like it just replace the other filter with and go on.......but at decent volume ed9 can be a pleasure listen.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #14,530 of 64,174
  @James Freeman Dude....what happened? You first came into this thread with constructive comments and some cool insight. Now? It seems like your account is used to troll in the KZ thread because outside of a couple posts from when you first joined, this is the only place you've posted. 
frown.gif

Troll? Where!?! Let me have at him !!!
Yes, I monitor only the KZ thread for the lack of time to participate in the IEM/Headphones hobby more thoroughly.
Besides, if an opinion which is not "in line" with the general opinion of the board is considered trolling, I don't want to play anymore.

I am quite sufficed with my Audio Technica ATH-M40x, Behringer Truth B3030A monitors and of course the KZ ED9 using a Saffire Firewire Audio Interface as an audio source.
Edit: Almost forgot my Polk Audio RTi-A3 which are fantastic speakers, but nothing that the B3030A can't do.
While I know there is better (and more expensive) equipment out there, I think I'm at the point of diminished returns when it comes to audio quality for all my purposes.
I'm rocking the ED9s for about 5 months now on a daily basis, time-wise they are the most used audio equipment I own and have returned their value like x1,000,000 times over by now.

Enjoying a KZ here!
etysmile.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #14,531 of 64,174

wink.gif

The ED9 between the KZ earphones I have (ATE, ZS3 and ED9) are easily the bassiest. I don't know if there are KZ earphones with more bass them, but if there are I haven't heard them.

Regarding the ATE, from what I gather I think that they significantly changed their sound over time, as they introduced newer generations of the product with the exact same name. My version, which I believe is the 5th version (the most recent) sounds very spacious, has a decent amount of soundstage and instrument separation and sound very clear without seeming dry. They are currently my favorite KZ earphones in terms of sound quality alone. They sound like a miniaturized version of my Fischer Audio FA-003.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #14,532 of 64,174
The ED9 between the KZ earphones I have (ATE, ZS3 and ED9) are easily the bassiest. I don't know if there are KZ earphones with more bass them, but if there are I haven't heard them.

ED9 have two pairs of tuning nozzles. Anybody who comments on their sound signature without saying which nozzles are used should be stricken with a stick. :p

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #14,533 of 64,174

Well, i had to admit that initially ed3m sounds as you have described. Turns out that it need a loose seal(not literally loose, just don't give it a tight fit like when you're using a BA iem) to sounds good, like pretty much every dynamic driver iem. After that, it sounds balanced. To give you a picture, it sounds like ed9 with gold nozzle, with slightly less air, more tamed mid bass and warmer vocal. It could be my favorite KZ if it weren't for the barrel shaped housing and unnecessarily long noozle which doesn't go well with many tips

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #14,534 of 64,174
ED9 have two pairs of tuning nozzles. Anybody who comments on their sound signature without saying which nozzles are used should be stricken with a stick.
tongue.gif

Sorry, with the default nozzles, the "thinner" ones. The other ones make them sound weird to my ears. It's as if the original sound was stretched and everything became more airy/echo'y. I don't appreciate them as much as the default nozzles.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #14,535 of 64,174
Sound wise, are there differences between the glossy and matte versions of the ZS3? I see it being described as bassy, but I have the glossy one and it doesn't seem as bassy as some people described it to be. Decent amount of bass but the sub bass doesn't extend that low, even with a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back