Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 4, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #13,996 of 63,914
Muddy bass, no detailed highs and better than ATE? No way sir! My ATE and me are protesting
smily_headphones1.gif

I just went back to the ATE's and they honestly sound brighter and more detailed with less mud. They don't have as much high extension but the detail makes it seem like there is more. Bass is almost as powerful, but at a higher frequency. It plays with my eyes and my throat at medium volume. Only with the starline tips though. They still have crazy bass. I like the ATE's better right now back to back. I'll update this post if I change my mind.

ATE's are the only pair I have a problem fitting in my tiny girl ears.

In my opinion, the ATE's have a completely unique sound signature from the ATR's. They're similarly flat, but they each have their own peaks and dips.

Just ordered spinfits for my ZST's. Silver cable is on them. Looking pretty cool. I cant wait for my ZST Pro Colorful's to come in (and hopefully they're better than the ZST's
ksc75smile.gif
)

Last edit: Just went back to my ZST's after a day of ATR + some ATE. They feel like memory foam mattresses for my ears. They are very comfortable compared to the ATR and ATE with the starlines. I'm back to smiling at my music too.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #13,997 of 63,914
  Respect the KZ ATE

Will these have more soundstage than the cx 3.00 and the philips she3590?

Will be an upgrade over those?

No idea, I've never tried any of those however, I did have a CX200 that I really enjoyed and what I can tell you is that the ATE's soundstage is much much greater than the CX200's, The CX200 had a warmer signature that made them comforting to listen to for long sessions, in comparison the ATE sound colder, but not cold, but they have good detail across most of the frequency spectrum and there aren't any odd noticeable dips. Bass is somewhat recessed but then again, I'm not sure if I'd appreciate it given how detailed and "3D-like" the sound can get. If you like something with a bit more warmth and bass perhaps the KZ ZS3 or the KZ ED9 would be better choices.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #13,999 of 63,914
I don't think ED9 has more warmth than ATE, it's actually the contrary even with the gold filter.

Yeah but by default they have more warmth and better bass right? At least that's the general impression I have of them from opinions I read.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #14,000 of 63,914
I just went back to the ATE's and they honestly sound brighter and more detailed with less mud. They don't have as much high extension but the detail makes it seem like there is more. Bass is almost as powerful, but at a higher frequency. It plays with my eyes and my throat at medium volume. Only with the starline tips though. They still have crazy bass. I like the ATE's better right now back to back. I'll update this post if I change my mind.

ATE's are the only pair I have a problem fitting in my tiny girl ears.

In my opinion, the ATE's have a completely unique sound signature from the ATR's. They're similarly flat, but they each have their own peaks and dips.

Just ordered spinfits for my ZST's. Silver cable is on them. Looking pretty cool. I cant wait for my ZST Pro Colorful's to come in (and hopefully they're better than the ZST's :ksc75smile: )

Last edit: Just went back to my ZST's after a day of ATR + some ATE. They feel like memory foam mattresses for my ears. They are very comfortable compared to the ATR and ATE with the starlines. I'm back to smiling at my music too.

Star line tips indeed increase the ATR's bass response and no I don't recommend to use them. Wide bore tips clean up the sound a lot.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #14,001 of 63,914
Well when I first tried ATE I wasn't that impressed as well, after some listening though that smooth sound became really pleasant to me as my previous IEMS where V-shaped cannons.
Those days I find myself listening to those iems just for small time periods, then I get fatigued due to the treble and bass, I usually eq the highs and lows at -3db(Quadbeat 3 and MH1, ED9 at -1-2).
I am really looking forward to ATRs BUT gearbest kinda sucks atm :D, they said they had a large stock of ATRs and for some blabbery excuses they say they will send them to me at 12-12.

I MAY get them in february of 17 if they send them mid holidays... sigh. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #14,002 of 63,914
Since some people have mentioned that shipping from the official store (kziems.aliexpress.com/store/1358152) takes very long, I can confirm the opposite. I ordered on the 29. November and they got shipped on the 1st December and now already in Singapore :D Maaaybe they will arrive before christmas :O?

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #14,004 of 63,914
  Spending about 6 hours listening to the ATR's now, the bass is very heavy, muddy, and overpowered. Highs lack detail and brightness

What? No way! Maybe now You got bad batch ATR?
ATR`s don`t sound anything like You said. My ATR bass is tight and detailed, doesn`t bleed into other FR and highs are detailed and quite near my highs tolerance level.

I'm back to smiling at my music too.

What is "Your music" btw? Just want to know what genre and music You mostly listen and make judgements by.

Star line tips indeed increase the ATR's bass response and no I don't recommend to use them. Wide bore tips clean up the sound a lot.

LOL ;D And once again I don`t agree with Ruben123. Don`t take this bad way, it just confirms again that our gear or ears are totally different :wink:
For me, starline tips make ATR bass tighter and overall sound much more coherent and balanced.
What size are You using? I`m using smallest and deep fit. Maybe using largest vs. smallest can make such difference?
  Well when I first tried ATE I wasn't that impressed as well, after some listening though that smooth sound became really pleasant to me as my previous IEMS where V-shaped cannons.
Those days I find myself listening to those iems just for small time periods, then I get fatigued due to the treble and bass...

Basically same thing with me. I prefer my ATR`s and ATE`s over **** 4in1, HLSX808, LZ A2S and even Magaosi BK50 (which is quite similar sounding to ATE but more laid-back and less sparkly highs). 
Shadow, I recommend You to get 5th gen ATE too if You like Your 2nd gen ATE. Sorry, can`t compare 5th and 2nd head-to-head anymore because my 2nd gen is modded but what I recall, then 5th is improved littlebit over 2nd and much closer to my FF-mod.

Can I remove these rubber pieces on the ATRs without messing up the cable? Anyone tried?
http://i.imgur.com/riooA5L.png

Better just buy new better quality cable from AE and change it.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #14,005 of 63,914
I don't think ED9 has more warmth than ATE, it's actually the contrary even with the gold filter.

Agree. ED9 is most neutral sounding when used with brass nozzle and certain amount of foam filter inside nozzle. Otherwise they are pretty V-shaped and with gold nozzle bass is clearly "boosted". Warmth comes mainly from mid-frequencies and ATE has more and better mids imho. But lot depends from source gear also.
My source gear(s) is quite neutral with just a tad warmth added that sound very natural to my ears. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #14,006 of 63,914
Can I remove these rubber pieces on the ATRs without messing up the cable? Anyone tried?
http://i.imgur.com/riooA5L.png

Why you want to remove that?......its actually there for a reason,acts as a weight when worn over the ear so you really dont need any ear-guides.butyeah this cable is springy but may take some time to settle down.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14,007 of 63,914
Guys, my little wooly pads inside the earphone tube are gone. ZS3 model. You know, that little foam behind the "earwax filter" (they are like a little part of paper haha). One of them was misplaced (lack of glue i guess) so I removed the other one as well. Does it affect sounds? I'm curious, because I'm rocking this way since arrival.

Cheers,
Daniel

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #14,009 of 63,914
  Guys, my little wooly pads inside the earphone tube are gone. ZS3 model. You know, that little foam behind the "earwax filter" (they are like a little part of paper haha). One of them was misplaced (lack of glue i guess) so I removed the other one as well. Does it affect sounds? I'm curious, because I'm rocking this way since arrival.

Cheers,
Daniel

It should mostly affect the treble, for example if the iem has harsh harsh with those then it will become ear piercing without them.
In some iems it helps bringing some pseudo extension on the highs though.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #14,010 of 63,914
  Speaking of the ZST, I finally got the chance to spend a VERY brief moment with them last night and can say they sounded pretty darn good. Thanks @RvTrav for the listen. When mine eventually arrive, they're getting some serious ear time. 

Hoping to hear more of your impressions with the ZST's. Just read your review with the W1 pro and I am immediately convinced I need to check them out. lol

Gearbest offer lowest price of KZ headphones

They do. But be sure to sit tight as I noticed their shipping method got issues. 

I apologize for the belated response. I checked the code on my ATE's shells and it is indeed the same as yours. I also appreciate the signature quite a lot, they do sound spacious and can resolve a surprising amount of details in my opinion.

On another note regarding the ZST and those waiting for it to ship from Gearbest: mine shipped today after nearly a couple of weeks wait. With some ridiculous amount of luck I may yet receive them before Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath. My colorful ZST though seem like they could arrive next week.

Glad your pairs are already shipped! I just sent a message to their rep asking when are they planning to ship mine. Told me they will ship it between Nov 28 - Dec 2 and its already 5th and still got no updates whatsoever. I also tracked my ED12 and ZS3 and they are still stuck with customs for some reason when my other orders from Ali already arrived. Guess I am steering away from GearBest from now on and just stick with Ali even if they have the cheapest prices. I could be looking to receive all my ordered stuff from GB next year, when KZ already releases maybe 4 or 5 new models. Jeez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back