Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #14,026 of 63,803
http://www.gearbest.com/kz-_gear/

hey Coil, which is the 5th gen ATE on gearbest?? i see a few options there..

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #14,027 of 63,803
  I've got an ATR on the way from Gearbest (shipped 9th November).

I did have an ATE, but I disliked it enough to conclude that it was defective. This was ages ago, before the black/translucent ATE was released. No matter what tips I used, there was zero bass unless I physically pushed the IEMs in my ear and kept them pressed. There was also a huge peak somewhere around the 3 - 5khz region that made the entire signature sound way too shouty. I've been too scared to order another ATE, but I've read that the ATR is similar, and all the positive remarks (plus the low cost) convinced me to purchase a pair!

btw, my initial impressions aren't too far off from my measurements!

I feel like that's an ok representation of my ZST's, but the highs extend far beyond that cut at 14/15khz. Maybe slight difference in tuning.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #14,029 of 63,803
Decent picture of the ZST's. I cant wait until I get the colorfuls with the spinfits & silver wire!

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #14,030 of 63,803
  This is ZST measurement? 

About ATE... I recommend You to try 5th gen ATE because their soundstage is bigger and more open sounding than ATR but they have slightly smoother highs and laid-back bass and more distant imaging and better mids. Maybe it isn`t your prefferred signature but recommend to try them out.

Ah yes, that was the ZST's measurement. Here's the ZST (yellow) vs the ED10 (green). The ED10 sounds very unnatural to my ears, and I really don't like that 6khz peak. 

Is the current ATE 5th gen? I'll consider getting one, most likely depending on what I think about the ATR when I receive it.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #14,031 of 63,803
I received my ZS3, very nice matte look but I already hate them:
-The weird cable plug coming out in a way it doesn't turn around the ''beginning'' of the ear makes it awkward look
-Same goes for fit, tried both medium and big tips as well as the ones from the ATES but the right ZS3 plug never have a good fit whatever I do
-Bass is heavier than already heavy bass ATES, it's even muddier
I should have kept my $ for another aliexpress gadget

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #14,032 of 63,803
just pull down on the wire and it should mould around your ear? i did that..seems to work. 
u need 100hours of burn in... i am putting mine in the "oven" for a week.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #14,033 of 63,803
-The weird cable plug coming out in a way it doesn't turn around the ''beginning'' of the ear makes it awkward look
-Same goes for fit, tried both medium and big tips as well as the ones from the ATES but the right ZS3 plug never have a good fit whatever I do

I'm not sure if the same will happen to you but I'd like to share my experience with the ZS3:

- When I first got them the first thing that I noticed was that they sounded warmer than the ATE and had much more pronounced bass which, in some songs, made the mids muddy.
- After reading some opinions on the ZS3 and seeing suggestions to burn them in I downloaded and installed an app that you can still find somewhere on this thread that played a tune that sounds like rainfall more or less and I left running and fell asleep. When I woke up and used the ZS3 again, the muddied mids seem to have disappeared and it sounded much clearer. The bass is still a bit messy and still overwhelms the highs and mids but it doesn't make songs sound muddy at least, just sounds like somewhat bloated bass.
- Right now my ZS3 sound warm, bassy and V shaped but the mids are clear and the highs are ok. They are fun and comforting to listen to.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #14,034 of 63,803
i had my zs3 burn in for about 50-60hrs, looping music i usually listen to. ootb they sounded a tad too bassy, but the mids and highs were still in front of the lows. that i could differentiate.

now they sound rather sweet, i cannot help but bob my head to the music, and right hand on my air guitar, strumming away, just short of jumping around...

i'll keep burning them in and hopefully i can report back with difference, noob in this area....

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #14,035 of 63,803

I didn't like my zs3 until i tried rounded foam tips that i got from aliexpress. With the rounded foams the fit became much better, and the problems with "trapped pressure" in my ears from insertion disappeared.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #14,036 of 63,803

I'm not sure if the same will happen to you but I'd like to share my experience with the ZS3:

- When I first got them the first thing that I noticed was that they sounded warmer than the ATE and had much more pronounced bass which, in some songs, made the mids muddy.
- After reading some opinions on the ZS3 and seeing suggestions to burn them in I downloaded and installed an app that you can still find somewhere on this thread that played a tune that sounds like rainfall more or less and I left running and fell asleep. When I woke up and used the ZS3 again, the muddied mids seem to have disappeared and it sounded much clearer. The bass is still a bit messy and still overwhelms the highs and mids but it doesn't make songs sound muddy at least, just sounds like somewhat bloated bass.
- Right now my ZS3 sound warm, bassy and V shaped but the mids are clear and the highs are ok. They are fun and comforting to listen to.

Thanks, I plugged them now to my old good Cowon J3 as it has a long lasting battery, playing in loop white,pink and other sounds.
As for the fit the right one is definitely not good, different from the left one or it's my right ear's shape, but it will always not fit as it should, I tried to bend the cable in different ways but it's still going out of the KZ plug like an antenna then it goes under my ear, making about 2 cms curved cable between the plug and my ear, which is the cause of bad fit.
Strangely enough I don't have this problem with my left side.
Add to that the mic button doesn't work well, with the ATES I can very easily use pause/play and Next track using the mic's button, but with the ZS3 I can only pause and once over 5 hit and miss make it play, I couldn't use at all the next track option (2 fast press), so is it a known ''bug'' of the ZS3?
Using it on my HTC 10 with additional Sony Smarkey app

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #14,040 of 63,803
Interesting measurements on ZST, probably not my cup of tea, this graph pretty much confirms the initial impressions of a lot of people so I doubt the mixed opinions are from bad QC but from different personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back