Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #13,921 of 63,906
  I have to say, after I had such a bad experience with the ZS3 ootb, I do like them much better now. They completely changed their sound in 2-3 hours of me trying them out. 
On top of that I also let them burn in over-night with the app mentioned earlier.

Still, none of the included tips give me a good seal - like at all. I tried some other tips I had lying around, which did definitely help, but since they were a bit larger than the 5mm, I lost one of them while biking :frowning2:

I already have some foam tips on my way from aliexpress, but I don't want to wait a month... Thinking of buying a couple foam tips off amazon - but they are like 8€ for a 5 pack (when they're only 2€ on ali) :/

Hey try the KZ starline tips, they work well for me! There are also KZ widebore tips if you experiment with your search terms but I didn't try those. I suspect starline works better as the star shape helps release any pressure imbalance due to different people's ear shapes but YMMV.

Nice that you're using the app, I'm doing that with my replacement matte ZS3 now too :wink:

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #13,922 of 63,906
  @loomisjohnson I have the ZS3 and in my opinion the ZST is a real upgrade.  Like you I enjoy the clarity of the XE800, the ZST certainly isn't balanced like the XE800 but has great clarity and detail in the treble.  I think we both consider the XE800 to be balanced and in that case the Bass, Mids and Treble are all elevated on the ZST (W sound signature?).  This results in a forward and engaging presentation.  The sound field of the ZST is not as wide as the XE800 and the instrument separation is not as good. (but these are strong points of the XE800)   Someone else mentioned that they were hearing things in known songs that they hadn't heard before and I have to agree with this.    As these are a little bright I listened to some songs where I have noted other earphones becoming sibilant and I found that as long as the recording was of a good quality then the ZSTs were not prone to harshness or sibilance.   Be aware that these do not tolerate poor recordings.  The XE800s might not be the best earphone to compare the ZST to but it is one we are both familiar with so I hope that the comparison will assist you to have a better idea of what to expect from the ZST.  I did not have high expectations for the ZST when I ordered it during the 11/11 sale however I was presently surprised by them.  I have the Urban fun earphones on order and I hope to have them in the next week of two.  If you like I will let you know how they compare to the ZSTs when they arrive.  If you are like me and like variety in your earphone collection then I think you will find this a great addition.

rv, i appreciate the impressions and would be curious to see how you compare the zst to the urbanfun, which i rate even higher than the xe800

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #13,923 of 63,906
  Hey try the KZ starline tips, they work well for me! There are also KZ widebore tips if you experiment with your search terms but I didn't try those. I suspect starline works better as the star shape helps release any pressure imbalance due to different people's ear shapes but YMMV.

Nice that you're using the app, I'm doing that with my replacement matte ZS3 now too :wink:

i tried the starline tips on my zs3 yesterday, but i still had problems with pressure imbalance, comfort and getting the right fit and sound.
since i received my round foam tips a couple of weeks ago, i've been able to use the zs3 a lot more, getting a better fit with a good sound. here's a link if someone else would like to try the same foams: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Comply-1-pair-super-comfortable-isolation-headphone-Tips-headset-memory-foam-sponge-earphone-ear-pads-earpiece/32477744702.html

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #13,924 of 63,906

rv, i appreciate the impressions and would be curious to see how you compare the zst to the urbanfun, which i rate even higher than the xe800

i have a pair of urbanfuns on their way as well, from 11.11 sale. so i'd be interested in a comparison to see if i should order a zst also
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #13,925 of 63,906

i tried the starline tips on my zs3 yesterday, but i still had problems with pressure imbalance, comfort and getting the right fit and sound.
since i received my round foam tips a couple of weeks ago, i've been able to use the zs3 a lot more, getting a better fit with a good sound. here's a link if someone else would like to try the same foams: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Comply-1-pair-super-comfortable-isolation-headphone-Tips-headset-memory-foam-sponge-earphone-ear-pads-earpiece/32477744702.html

Mind sharing how long the foams last? My main issue with foams is that they get dirty quite fast so I end up spending quite a lot of money compared to the price of the earphones. Jinxed ears haha.

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #13,926 of 63,906

Already ordered them as well, haha. How long did they take to reach you?

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #13,927 of 63,906
they seem to be made of the same kind of foam that other comply clones from china are made of. My ears doesn't produce as much goo as my wife's does, so for me they last a long time.
I've used similar tips (though not rounded) on my kz ed4 and used them quite a lot while commuting, and they have lasted several months with a couple of hours use several days a week.

to me the rounded foams seem to be the difference between using the zs3 and not using them
happy_face1.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #13,928 of 63,906
Already ordered them as well, haha. How long did they take to reach you?

less than a month. ordered them 26th oct. i also ordered kz starline tips and some other tips at the same time. The starline tips arrived earlier this week, some other foams last friday, and i'm still waiting for 2 small packages containing triple flanges and kz whirlwind tips.
So it's the usual free shipping china delivery times to Sweden for me; 3 weeks up to 2 months...

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #13,932 of 63,906
@CoiL what are the characteristics of uneven bass that you mentioned with the ATE? To my ears the ATE sound balanced though the Bass seems refrained, but I don't notice any Bass emphasis on any particular frequency range. I hope you don't mistake this for criticism, I just want to understand how to characterise what I hear better.

I wouldn`t call 2nd gen bass "uneven" like You said (and I didn`t say it like that) - 2nd gen ATE bass in stock is just a tad uncontrolled or sometimes even slightly "boomy" sounding but not in regular way due it sounds more like "laid back/distant". 

Now, what interests me is when did You buy Your ATE and what package it did come with? 
I`m asking because I got my new ATE from gearbest (non-S version).

The old 2nd gen ATE had also same driver color, same port holes, same weights but came with silver/gold cable "reliefs" and in "shield" looking plastic case and had following code on shells: RQ: 016N8M.

The new 5th gen ATE I got today from gearbest came with same carton+thin plastic cover box like ATR comes with and has following code on shells: RQ: 018NBM.
It is with golden metal weights, red driver shells, black/golden cable "reliefs" with color markings, port holes on lower nozzle necks).

Also cable seems less springy and rubbery than old one and shell are slightly more see-through.
And right OOTB the soundstage is noticeably more open and "surround" like with slightly more distant/out of the headstage imaging than ATR. Difference is not big though. Seems I got myself 5th (?) gen ATE ?
Anyway, seems they have "re-tuned" them slightly again and it sounds much closer to my 2nd gen ATE FF-mod than old stock 2nd gen ATE - which is great news for me! I really like how it sounds (with starline tips, haven`t tried other tips yet)!
From what You said about Your ATE, it seems to me that You also have the newer version than my old 2nd gen ATE (which I bought right after translucent ATE first appeared).
Since I`m quite a junkie for large/open soundstage - I think I like them even more than stock ATR. Yes, they are not so "in your face" with details but pretty similar detail (if not same good) with just little different soundstage presentation and imaging.
Now, if someone wishes a tad more openness and larger soundstage, with slightly more distant/out of the headstage presentation than ATR - then new ATE is highly recommended by me, though, my impressions come just with brief OOTB listening.
I think I will try to make full-wood custom shells "hybrid" dual dynamic modification from ATR+ATE drivers soon (no idea about sound outcome and maybe needs some crossover testing). 
And just a little dig from the past about earlier iterations of ATE:
  There are at least 4 different versions of ATE:

1) Silver ATE with vent holes and with black/gold metal cable "reliefs". Driver inside has red plastic housing.
This is my first version:

2) Translucent black ATE with vent holes and with silver/gold metal cable "reliefs". Driver inside has red plastic housing.
This is my second version: 

3) Translucent black ATE without vent holes and with black/gold metal cable "reliefs". Driver inside should have blue plastic housing (not 100% sure).
4) Translucent black ATE-S with black memory wires and with red plastic cable "reliefs".

1st and 2nd generation ATE should be using same drivers and difference in sound basically came only from different housing material.
3rd generation ATE should have blue housing drivers inside and don`t have vent holes on housing - this is where ATE got different feedback from several ppl as I remember.
4th generation ATE-S looks clearly different by cables and should have bassier sound according  to many ppl. Information about driver housing colour is missing to me and vent holes seems also to be a mixed bag - some have them some don`t, at least I know so.

Hope this makes clearer which ATE to get. From my personal experience and others impressions 2nd generation ATE seems to be best. Idk if there still are any available though. Maybe ask seller before buying?

Seems like this newer 5th gen ATE has "returned" to mix of 2nd & 3rd gen - 2nd gen red shells drivers + 3rd gen black/gold metal reliefs. 

The sound field of the ZST is not as wide as the XE800 and the instrument separation is not as good. 

This and earlier mentioner very foward mid-bass and bass makes me think thay are not for my taste. More I read about them the more I suspect they are something like A2S. 
Gotta wait for more impressions and then decide if I will try them or not. Atm I`m holding back.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #13,935 of 63,906
So I finally found out what made my ZS3 sound so afwul at my computer, while my DT 990 Pros sounded as good as ever...
Well, as I got my DT 990 Pros I set my impedance headphone setting on my soundcard to high - so while that was perfect for my DT 990 Pros, it made my ZS3 sound like I put a highpass on them...

Switched back (it's a jumper I have to set on the PCB), and now the ZS3 sound amazing on my PC :)

Really, I thought these didn't sound good in the beginning, but it was really just an unfortunate chain of events haha.... Now patiently waiting for foam tips. Oh and my ZST and ATR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back