Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 2, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #13,127 of 64,162
  After 2 weeks with the KZ ATR's, I just can't believe how good these sound for the price.

Punchy sound but still somewhat balanced.

Are there other KZ's which have a similar sound?

I have over 40 earphones in my collection and I'm always looking for something better. I've had the KZ ATR for just a few days, and I have to say, this is the best sounding earphone I've heard under $80. And I paid $4.88. Insane quality for the price. 

The ATR has a full, balanced sound, with shimmery highs, realistic mids, and without the "thickness" that so many other IEMs have. The bass is fine- not lacking, not over-boosted. They have an almost open feel. 

I unwittingly got the no mic version. Now that I see a version with a mic for $0.32 more, I just ordered one for everyone on my Xmas list. 

Quote:
I have had my KTR s about a week and I to am very impressed. KZ got the tuning right on this one imo..Very Clear, detailed and all frequencies are in balance...immersive sound with a little boost from my Fiio E6..crisp highs with not a hint of sibilance. I am going to order two more from Gearbest as a back up..how do they do this at 5 dollars? Great Job KZ!!

Finally ATR getting some fame that they deserve! Yes, they are INSANE value for money! ;P

@CoiL How does one remove the backplates? I seem to break my nails trying to do it.

Check thread picture gallery and look for pics on 1st gen ATE silver open housings. Someone did a series of pics how to open them. 
I`m at work and can`t help with pics atm. You should find those pics from gallery pretty easily.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #13,129 of 64,162
  ATR vs ZS3, which one is better? Both are somewhat successors to the ATE right?

They're similar but different enough in their own rights to be worth owning. As good as the ZS3 is, I think the ATR is the better sounding of the two due to offering a more balanced signature. Then again it also lines up slightly better with my personal preferences so there may be some inherent bias there.

Depends on who you ask, but the ATR is an updated and ever so slightly improved ATE while the ZS3 refines the ZS1/2 sound. 

ATR is more balanced with additional treble energy and detail that the ZS3 lacks. The ZS3 has a thicker, darker presentation which puts more emphasis on the low end with a more robust bass presence.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #13,130 of 64,162
  Finally ATR getting some fame that they deserve! Yes, they are INSANE value for money! ;P

Check thread picture gallery and look for pics on 1st gen ATE silver open housings. Someone did a series of pics how to open them. 
I`m at work and can`t help with pics atm. You should find those pics from gallery pretty easily.

Succeeded!

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #13,131 of 64,162
Does anyone have any issues with the fitting of the cable into the ZST iem's themselves? I have just got mine and the pins on the cables fit very loosely into the sockets of the iems and come off too easily. Am I eligible for an exchange?

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #13,132 of 64,162

Succeeded!

Good. Now get some electrical tape and make a turn around nozzle lower part so it closes the port hole, just to test out open back + closed hole configuration :wink:

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #13,134 of 64,162
Just pulled the trigger on the ZS3. Im coming from a pair of meeaudio m6 pro and seeing the ridiculous price on these iem I just had to try them out. Anyone here owns both the ZS3 and m6 pro? Would love to hear some comparison reviews between the both of them! 

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #13,135 of 64,162
Been a while since i bought  a KZ iem. Bought KZ ATE and ED10 last year and came out unimpressed. I found the ATE pretty uncomfortable to wear and ED10 was a tad harsh to my ears. Also didn't like the cables on them.

Would love to know which KZ models are worth checking out right now ? Looking for a warm to neutral sounding earphones

I also came across the HDS2, which looks basically a clone of the Yamaha EPH100 (which i absolutely adore). I will get them just because of that, but what do they sound like?

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #13,136 of 64,162
Been a while since i bought  a KZ iem. Bought KZ ATE and ED10 last year and came out unimpressed. I found the ATE pretty uncomfortable to wear and ED10 was a tad harsh to my ears. Also didn't like the cables on them.

Would love to know which KZ models are worth checking out right now ? Looking for a warm to neutral sounding earphones

I also came across the HDS2, which looks basically a clone of the Yamaha EPH100 (which i absolutely adore). I will get them just because of that, but what do they sound like?

Get the hds1. Comfortable small light warm neutral sound cheap KZ etc etc get one lol

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #13,140 of 64,162
  Good. Now get some electrical tape and make a turn around nozzle lower part so it closes the port hole, just to test out open back + closed hole configuration :wink:

To me they seem clearer with the holes still open. What change do you notice?

For me and with my gear they are same clear or even slightly clearer due to the more accurate bass and percussion. Bass/percussion are tighter and more punchy without any bleed to other freq.
They are to my ears on same detail/tightness/accuracy level as **** 4in1 and if I consider ATR highs, then the overall outcome is even better in that aspect. 
ATR to my ears and my gear is best single dynamic that I have heard (especially in modified configuration) and their overall sound quality is also superior to all cheap hybrids I have.
Only "fault" I can find - ATR soundstage frontal depth could be slightly better (further, more distant), but this is very minor "fault". ATE FF-mod is better in that part.
Someone here just compared ATE vs. ATR and he seemed to have same opinion about imaging/soundstage.
I haven`t started yet to make more difficult mods to ATR but I think I can "fix" that soundstage "fault" slightly. If I succeed, then they may overcome ATE FF-mod in overall SQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back