Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #11,101 of 63,916
  hi sorry for the noob-ish question :frowning2:
i was searching for the KZ ATE online and i came across this one:

after searching through this thread about the diff versions of the ATE, i became very confused and paranoid @_@
is the ATE pictured above the one with the breathing hole? i cant tell if that small piece is a support piece or a hole or whatever D:
thanks!!!! 

Breathing hole? Is there really an IEM that has breathing hole like what opened headphones do? @@ Whut? 

Sorry don't understand what you meant by breathing hole

May 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #11,102 of 63,916
kaiteck, read the thread... 
rolleyes.gif

jarrsquare , yes, by the picture there seems to be breathing hole down the lower end of nozzle... BUT... never rely on those AE pics! Just ask from the seller before buying.

May 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #11,103 of 63,916
i did a little "detective" work and found out that those are the version with breathing holes :D

May 31, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #11,107 of 63,916
Guys, I found kz heaven.

https://www.jakartanotebook.com/search?key=Knowledge&show=40&sort=newitem&price=&sku=

So many new stuff, and less than 10$ each

There are no new KZ`s there and some are NOT KZ, they are QKZ or other brand. Prices are also quite same as AE or GB etc. sites.

May 31, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #11,108 of 63,916
[quote name="CoiL" url="/There are no new KZ`s there and some are NOT KZ, they are QKZ or other brand. Prices are also quite same as AE or GB etc. sites.
[/quote]

Ah, my mistake, is qkz different than kz? The way they advertise it feels like kz.

Anyone familiar with their sound?

May 31, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #11,109 of 63,916

There are versions that came with and without breathing holes? 

So I've been using my kz ate-s for a year without knowing this. (•___• )​

yup! :D
there was a post a couple pages back with descriptions of the diff versions :D

May 31, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #11,110 of 63,916
There are at least 4 different versions of ATE:

1) Silver ATE with vent holes and with black/silver metal cable "reliefs".
2) Translucent black ATE with vent holes and with black/gold metal cable "reliefs".
3) Translucent black ATE without vent holes and with black/gold metal cable "reliefs".
4) Translucent black ATE-S with black memory wires and with plastic cable "reliefs".

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #11,111 of 63,916
I`m listening my ANV after long time and... I must say... by SQ they are just head over other KZ`s. Period. 
They do have minor issue with sub-bass and slightly harsh highs but separation, layering, transparency, micro-details, soundstage and imaging is like nothing else in KZ family.
I have some ideas how to maybe improve those minor issues... will re-tweak my wood-modded ANV and hear what happens (lessons learned with Monk NUN-mod) 
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #11,113 of 63,916
  I`m listening my ANV after long time and... I must say... by SQ they are just head over other KZ`s. Period. 
They do have minor issue with sub-bass and slightly harsh highs but separation, layering, transparency, micro-details, soundstage and imaging is like nothing else in KZ family.
I have some ideas how to maybe improve those minor issues... will re-tweak my wood-modded ANV and hear what happens (lessons learned with Monk NUN-mod).

I agree that they are the number one KZ but wouldn't say they're head and tails above the EDR2. EDR2 can hit those sub-bass notes that the ANV falls short of and imo has quicker, tighter bass. It's also a bit smoother and more refined, especially in the treble. Best KZ treble to date I feel. It's better in the extremes. ANV does take it pretty much everywhere else though and it's mids are something special. I really wish KZ would come back with another earphone with a massive driver. Micro drivers and oversized drivers. My favs 
biggrin.gif

Slightly harsh highs? If i had the correct 2013 model, they were unlistenable due to the highs. Maybe I had gotten the older ones but I've never known.

The 2014 revision was a much smoother listen. Same general signature but with more bass and less metallic/harsh highs. The older ones were fine with a filter mod to tame the treble, but the 2014 revision made the original totally obsolete. I use the same filter mod on my 2014 model, but they're still quite nice without it. It's too bad it was discontinued.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #11,114 of 63,916
Slightly harsh highs? If i had the correct 2013 model, they were unlistenable due to the highs. Maybe I had gotten the older ones but I've never known.

The 2014 revision was a much smoother listen. Same general signature but with more bass and less metallic/harsh highs. The older ones were fine with a filter mod to tame the treble, but the 2014 revision made the original totally obsolete. I use the same filter mod on my 2014 model, but they're still quite nice without it. It's too bad it was discontinued.

I have the latest 2014 version and highs are only slightly harsh, with some records undetected.

Originally Posted by B9Scrambler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that they are the number one KZ but wouldn't say they're head and tails above the EDR2. EDR2 can hit those sub-bass notes that the ANV falls short of...

For me, with my gear and preferences ANV is way above EDR2, even when latter is modified. 
and imo has quicker, tighter bass. 

I find it opposite - ANV has quicker and tighter bass. Also more detailed. EDR2 bass is also quick and tight but ANV is slightly better in that, imho.
It's also a bit smoother and more refined, especially in the treble. 

Agree about that. EDR2 highs are smooth but somewhat lack micro-details compared to ANV. EDR2 is very good IEM and one of the best KZ`s (top 4 I would say) but has different laid-back smooth sound signature compared to ANV. EDR2 is congested in middle-front of soundstage layering and transparency - my main gripe about EDR2.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #11,115 of 63,916
  I have the latest 2014 version and highs are only slightly harsh, with some records undetected.

For me, with my gear and preferences ANV is way above EDR2, even when latter is modified. 
I find it opposite - ANV has quicker and tighter bass. Also more detailed. EDR2 bass is also quick and tight but ANV is slightly better in that, imho.
Agree about that. EDR2 highs are smooth but somewhat lack micro-details compared to ANV. EDR2 is very good IEM and one of the best KZ`s (top 4 I would say) but has different laid-back smooth sound signature compared to ANV. EDR2 is congested in middle-front of soundstage layering and transparency - my main gripe about EDR2.

I love the way you list IEMs in your profile
beerchug.gif
Everything comes with its own mini-review.

Would you prefer the ANV over the EDR2 in stock configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back